Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Constitutional carry
07-06-2015, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 03:38 PM by spider.)
RE: Constitutional carry
BDN reports on Brakey’ bill LD652:
https://bangordailynews.com/2015/06/30/p...signature/

The article is in need of some serious fact checking.

“The bill, LD 652, which LePage has supported, puts the Republican governor in a catch-22 situation of signing a bill into law after he promised to veto every bill sent to him in protest of the Legislature’s refusal to put a state constitutional amendment before voters that would eliminate the state’s income tax.”

That is new information to me. Roger Ek reports the gov said he will sign it

“The bill, which will cost the state’s two-year budget about $200,000 in lost permit revenues, has been a long-standing goal of gun-rights advocates…”

I do not believe the number 200K is true.

“You are going to let people who can’t pass the background check on a concealed weapons permit just carry a gun anyway. I don’t understand it,” state Sen. Stan Gerzofsky, D-Brunswick, said in a debate on the bill in May.”

People that can’t pass the background check…well…they just open carry; don’t conceal it, and they are legal. The criminal element…the drug dealers and human trafficking folks…they don’t carry? They don’t carry because they don’t have a concealed weapons permit? Of course they do…the permit does not prevent them from carrying.
How is all that gun control working in Chicago Stan?

“LD 652 eliminates an important tool that law enforcement uses to prevent dangerous people from carrying concealed, loaded weapons in public,” retired police chief Bob Schwartz, executive director of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, said in a prepared statement.”

The executive director does not specifically say: The permit prevents carrying by ‘dangerous people’…he says 652 eliminates a tool….he selects the adjective ‘important’. He makes no reference as to the effectiveness of the ‘tool’. He does that for a reason....the statement can be simultaneously accurate.... and not valid.

The fiscal note.

If you eliminate the administrative financial burden of the concealed carry weapons permit….you save the taxpayer money. I cant deduce that from the language in the fiscal note…I think the language implies that cash flow to Dept of public safety will be reduced…ie not required. That saves me tax money?

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bi...065201.htm

“This bill authorizes a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. The Department of Public Safety will require Other Special Revenue Funds deallocations of $202,451 in fiscal year 2015-16 and $277,495 in fiscal year 2016-17 from eliminating 2 Office Associate II positions, one State Police Detective position, one contracted position and related costs. General Fund revenue would be reduced by $118,853 in fiscal year 2015-16 and $158,470 in fiscal year 2016-17 and Other Special Revenue Funds revenue would be reduced by $205,662 in fiscal year 2015-16 and $274,216 in fiscal year 2016-17.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2015, 05:00 AM
The state will lose a little money. They will gain far more from the people who will move to Maine from oppressive states. MANY people are leaving Connecticut because it is no longer viable for them to live there. NJ is the same to a lesser extent.

Like many Maine families, we left Maine for six years for the money and for our sons to get a better education. Our oldest graduated from HS and we came back. We had enough money to make it again. Our younger son was going into his junior year in HS when we came back. He got the highest PSAT score ever recorded in his high school. He found the test to be easy.

My wife had a tenured position in regents English when we left to come home. When we got back she could not get a teaching position because she had a masters degree so she went to work as an ed tech 3. Eventually the parents revolted and demanded she be hired as a teacher. It was unprecedented because no teacher or principal had ever had a masters in that district. They got over it. Both our sons are engineers and doing well.

What does this have to do with concealed carry? It took me four years to get my concealed carry permit in NY. It took my wife only three years. Bureaucracies stifle our country, whether it is firearms, education or taxation. Our government is too big. People coming to Maine want to be as rural as possible, but not to deal with LURC. There are pockets of freedom that remain in Maine, but you have to hunt for them.
07-07-2015, 07:37 AM
I don't know how they can say it will cost Maine money?

Doesn't the present fee cover the costs of the background checks on licensed concealed carry permits? Won't this new law free up police, bureaucrats who are presently working the present system to actually pursue criminals?

Or was the whole program just more or less a rubber stamp and revenue enhancer?

Thus a reason for constitutional carry.
07-08-2015, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 04:19 PM by spider.)
Gov was supposed to sign Brakey's concealed carry bill at 2pm or so...no word out yet.

Sent this to comm director Peter Steele:
Greetings Peter....
A LOT of people are wondering if the Gov did in fact sign the concealed carry bill submitted by Sen. Brakey...possible you can just issue a yes he signed, no he did not message...keep it simple...just to get the word out there. Apparently it was intended he sign it at 2 pm today....
Thanks,

Greetings Peter....
A LOT of people are wondering if the Gov did in fact sign the concealed carry bill submitted by Sen. Brakey...possible you can just issue a yes he signed, no he did not message...keep it simple...just to get the word out there. Apparently it was intended he sign it at 2 pm today....
Thanks,

The response was:
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 4:14 PM
Subject: RE: CONCEALED CARRY BILL

“Yes, he signed it.”
07-09-2015, 08:49 AM
When does this law take effect?

And can anyone share the specifics of the "duty to inform" a law enforcement officer if one is stopped either in a vehicle or as a pedestrian?

Also, how does this law effect carrying concealed while hunting?

Thanks.
07-09-2015, 09:37 AM
>> When does this law take effect?

I heard 90 days on the radio yesterday.

>> And can anyone share the specifics of the "duty to inform" a law enforcement officer if one is stopped either in a vehicle or as a pedestrian?

I don't have anything specific to Maine, but I have seen training videos where it has been said the first thing one should say in a law enforcement encounter is that one is carrying. For example, with hands visible in a calm voice, "Officer I just want to let you know I'm legally carrying a pistol on my right side."

Couldn't tell you about the hunting.
07-09-2015, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 01:11 PM by Roger Ek.)
[quote='Three Pipe Problem' pid='8926' dateline='1436449054']
>> When does this law take effect?

I heard 90 days on the radio yesterday."

That is 90 days after the legislature adjourns. Some radio and TV announcers do not know the difference between recess and adjourn. You come back in from a recess, just like back in kindergarten. That will happen one week from today on July 16. They may adjourn the next day, but they could go for a few week. It depends on how long it takes to explain these things to legislators Eves and Alfond.
07-09-2015, 07:05 PM
A question I have heard a few times is "Can we carry from NH to Maine now with no repercussions?" The answers have varied.
07-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Not yet. It will be 90 days after the legislature adjourns. Right now the legislature is recessed and will reconvene around July 16. Normally that session goes for a day or two. This time it may go for a while because Mark Eves and Justin Alfond do not understand how government works.
07-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if you need a permit for a firearm concealed in a vehicle and not on your body?