Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Constitutional carry
06-03-2015, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 06:31 PM by Mike G.)
Constitutional carry
GOOD NEWS! Constitutional Carry has passed the Senate and House in Maine. This means that we are one step closer to letting law-abiding citizens carry firearms without an overreaching (and unconstitutional) permitting process.

But now is not the time to let up. We know the gun grabbers, especially Bloomberg and his cronies, have poured millions into gun control campaigns, trying to stop pro-gun bills like this one.

However, we can still do something about it. This is why it’s more important than ever to contact Governor Paul LePage ® and tell him to sign LD 652/SP 245 into law.

GOA has made it easy for you. In our pre-written letter, you can contact Governor LePage in just a few clicks!

We are so close to restoring the FULL Second Amendment right to carry in Maine. Contact the Governor and finish the fight for constitutional carry!

ACTION: Click here to urge Governor LePage to support LD 652/SP 245. If you are a registered voter, be sure to add that in the email!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2015, 10:31 PM
RE: Constitutional carry
It's close but not quite there yet as the House added two amendments. The Senate will have to address those amendments as they were not in the bill the Senate passed earlier.

In any case the gov has threatened NOT to sign it due to the amendment making a person have to be 21 before being able to carry.

My youngest son applied for his CWP the day after he turned 18. He received it a couple of months later and just turned 19 about a month ago. I had the question earlier today about what would happen with him being able to carry if the age 21 thing stays in it.....and the answer is simple:

Anyone under 21, with a valid permit, will be allowed to carry. Anyone between 18 and 21 would be able to apply for a permit, and if passing the check, as my son did, would receive a permit. In addition the permit process is still going to be working as some people need a permit in order to take advantage of the "reciprocity agreements" with other states! I had NOT thought of that either.

This has been a long time coming, and there was no reason for it except the liberal ideology. I think it will get there shortly, especially if the Gov comes around to his senses. I was especially pleased to see that the Maine State Police came out in favor of this. That would not have been the case in most states! Thanks to all who have worked for this for some time now!

WC
06-04-2015, 01:47 AM
" . . especially if the Gov comes around to his senses."

One of the articles I read yesterday reminded all readers that the Gov doesn't need to sign the bill. As long as he doesn't veto it, it will pass into law and he will have held his higher ground. I hope that's what he has in mind.

As to reciprocity, does concealed trump Constitutional?

I would argue that the better, Constitutional hand would trump any inferior hand. If a Kansan, for instance, can Constitutionally carry in Maine, then a Mainiac should be able to carry concealed in Kansas or any Constitutionally inferior State.
06-04-2015, 07:44 AM
The bill has been "reconciled" (I hope, as the house will deal with it again this morning and Dems may try more amendments) therefore I think it becomes law in 90 days even if the gov does NOT sign it.

As far as the permits go, and especially re "reciprocity" in other states, I would prefer to see Constitutional carry nationwide but know that there are liberal "hell holes" where this is NOT going to happen, thus one has to play the game by the current rules........for the moment anyway.

WC
06-05-2015, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 03:17 PM by taxfoe.)
House approves ‘constitutional carry’ bill with fix designed to satisfy LePage

SOURCE

One step closer.

I would have posted that with or without the following but what follows is, shamefully, really worth noting . . (same source):

But Rep. Janice Cooper, D-Yarmouth, said proponents’ arguments were a red herring.

“This proposal is not about the Second Amendment. It is not about the right to bear arms. It is not about protection,” she said. “It is about a disdain for regulation, and that is the genesis of this bill. It is from people who disdain government, who disdain any interference in their freedom, as they put it, to do what they like, even at the risk of people dying.”

Speaking of red herring " . . even at the risk of people dying . . "

Ms. Cooper who, at some point along the way, likely took an oath to 'protect and defend . . ' has zero grasp of who, what, when, where and why The Constitution or it's Bill of Rights were ratified.
07-01-2015, 06:21 AM
Apparently the vote in the senate was 23-12...the bill passed.
Looks like some people..under 21?...with no military experience will need a permit.
Not a permit to own a firearm....Not a permit to carry a firearm...will need a permit to cover up a firearm that is being open-carried. That is my understanding.
The Gov has not yet signed the bill into law....its not over yet.
07-01-2015, 09:40 AM
If the governor does not sign it the bill becomes law anyway. It is called a pocket veto. Paul has said he will sign it.
07-01-2015, 11:08 AM
i]ACTION: Click here to urge Governor LePage to support LD 652/SP 245. If you are a registered voter, be sure to add that in the email![/i]
[/quote]

If post #1 was supposed to have a clickable link...did not work for me.
So....would like to urge the gov...need help with the links....Go Mike.
07-01-2015, 11:24 AM
There is speculation that SCOTUS' ruling requiring all states to respect gay marriages in those that specifically allowed them will now mean that there is an opportunity for US wide carry and concealed carry as the states that do not follow 2A will now be required to respect those that do.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
07-03-2015, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 11:23 AM by Roger Ek.)
Yesterday, video from WGME, a reporter asked Gov. LePage if he was going to sign it. He said, "Yes, I can't let the Democrats kill it." So yes, he is going to sign it.