Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shenna Bellows
01-07-2014, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 02:38 PM by Vic Berardelli.)
RE: Shenna Bellows
(01-07-2014 02:27 PM)f220 Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 12:43 PM)Islander Wrote:  No Collins voted it out of closure, then voted against it thereby covering her ass. Now if she had not voted it out of closure then we would not have Obamacare. it is how she works. Bellows also would have voted it out of closure thus giving us Obamacare, no difference except in the slight of hand of backstabbing Collins. How many of us begged her not to vote it out of closure, we knew full well what the outcome would be. So still no difference in the two, IMO.

Are you sure?

I thought that Snowe was the one who voted it back in 2009.

Both Snowe and Collins have blood on their hands.

Back in 2009, before it passed, Snowe was the swing vote to get the ACA out of committee and onto the Senate floor, where it passed. Had she blocked it in Committee, it might never have been enacted.

In the last session, Collins voted for Harry Reid's cloture bill which eliminated the two-thirds vote and allowed funding for Obamacare on a simple majority vote. Then, when that vote came up and she knew the Democrats had the votes to pass, Collins voted no so that she could make the phony claim that she voted against Obamacare. Just like Snowe's shell game four years earlier, had Collins voted against Reid on cloture, it might not have gotten funded.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Vic, thanks for the clarification
01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Back in 2009, before it passed, Snowe was the swing vote to get the ACA out of committee and onto the Senate floor, where it passed. Had she blocked it in Committee, it might never have been enacted.

Snowe was NOT the "swing vote."
The vote was 14-9.
Had Snowe voted nay, it would have passed 13-10.
People keep repeating this inaccuracy.
I am not excusing her vote.
I am insisting on accuracy.
01-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Not that I doubt you Backshore, but do you have a link? Huh
01-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Two things that I find quite amusing.
1) The number of Republicans who are trying to convince themselves not to vote for Bellows.
And
2) The deafening silence from the "you need to vote for the lesser of two evils" crowd. Smile
01-08-2014, 09:57 AM
(01-07-2014 07:29 PM)Bob Wrote:  Not that I doubt you Backshore, but do you have a link? Huh

Link:
WaPo

the Senate Finance Committee voted 14 to 9 to approve legislation that would, for the first time, require every American to have health insurance.

Here's where we miss AMG: this was thoroughly documented there, yet many AMG regulars persist in their mistaken narrative about Snowe being the deciding vote.
She was wrong.
She was not the deciding vote.
01-08-2014, 11:58 AM
(01-08-2014 06:20 AM)Bob Wrote:  Two things that I find quite amusing.
1) The number of Republicans who are trying to convince themselves not to vote for Bellows.
And
2) The deafening silence from the "you need to vote for the lesser of two evils" crowd. Smile

Bob: Your point #1 can be taken in reverse. I am not trying to convince myself to not vote for Bellows. I am asking for more convincing reasons to vote for Bellows. Until I see that, I remain skeptical.
01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Well since Bellows and Collins are pretty much in lockstep with Obama, the only plus I see is Bellows stand on privacy rights. Amnesty, spending, growing govt., global warming, green energy they are pretty much the same. Not really much of a choice, one has a track record of growing govt, infringing on our privacy rights, etc. and one doesn't.
01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
(01-07-2014 02:37 PM)Vic Berardelli Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 02:27 PM)f220 Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 12:43 PM)Islander Wrote:  No Collins voted it out of closure, then voted against it thereby covering her ass. Now if she had not voted it out of closure then we would not have Obamacare. it is how she works. Bellows also would have voted it out of closure thus giving us Obamacare, no difference except in the slight of hand of backstabbing Collins. How many of us begged her not to vote it out of closure, we knew full well what the outcome would be. So still no difference in the two, IMO.

Are you sure?

I thought that Snowe was the one who voted it back in 2009.

Both Snowe and Collins have blood on their hands.

In the last session, Collins voted for Harry Reid's cloture bill which eliminated the two-thirds vote and allowed funding for Obamacare on a simple majority vote. Then, when that vote came up and she knew the Democrats had the votes to pass, Collins voted no so that she could make the phony claim that she voted against Obamacare. Just like Snowe's shell game four years earlier, had Collins voted against Reid on cloture, it might not have gotten funded.

That's how I remember it. If it wasn't for Snowe, we wouldn't have Obamacare. Period. The Democrats absolutely needed her vote, and she gave it to them.

As I recall, with Collins, she voted wrong, as usual, but it wasn't all up to Collins.

Both are bad, both need to go. Snowe is already gone.
01-09-2014, 07:36 AM
f220, did you happen to read my posts and the link to the WaPo article reporting that the vote in Snowe's committee was 14-9? For her to have all this blame assigned to her, the vote would have to be 12-11.

All I want is for rational people, grounded in reality, to acknowledge that Obamacare would have passed without Snowe's terrible vote in committee. You can still hate her for her vote.