Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LISTER diesel engine for generator
08-07-2014, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 08:36 AM by TANSTAF1.)
RE: LISTER diesel engine for generator
They must have had a newer model Javelin. The ones Islander and I had/have have a big tendency to turn turtle. If you can right it if it does that I give you a lot of credit. it would be beyond my capability. I have not even dumped mine and hopefully never will.

Mine has not been in the water for a couple of years as I want to add a small outboard to it and I think the ransom needs to be strengthened before I do that. Each summer that project goes from semi-front burner to back burner to next year.

Switching back to the other topic in this thread, does anyone know how loud the Listers are? How many db's at what distance?

I have started doing a (very) little research on a natural gas generator. I guess one billed as a tri-fuel can be made to work by an experienced mechanic which I am not. But one caveat is that natural gas burns hotter than gasoline and the engines are not designed for this so one wonders about their longevity. Supposedly Honda makes a tri-fuel but some say using natural gas voids the warranty

I guess there are some generators designed as natural gas/propane from the get go, but I am leery about the manufacturers. I know Generacs are well known and popular. What I don't know is about their reliability. I think for their gasoline ones they use Chinese engines.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Lots of good Gensets out there, but the website WC linked to is one of the best resources I have seen.
08-07-2014, 08:46 PM
There are some pretty cheap DIY natgas and propane conversion schemes out there.
Here is one;
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/66207...on___.html

And many more;

http://www.bing.com/search?q=diy+propane...321258978e

(08-07-2014 08:18 AM)TANSTAF1 Wrote:  They must have had a newer model Javelin. The ones Islander and I had/have have a big tendency to turn turtle. If you can right it if it does that I give you a lot of credit. it would be beyond my capability. I have not even dumped mine and hopefully never will.

Mine has not been in the water for a couple of years as I want to add a small outboard to it and I think the ransom needs to be strengthened before I do that. Each summer that project goes from semi-front burner to back burner to next year.

Switching back to the other topic in this thread, does anyone know how loud the Listers are? How many db's at what distance?

I have started doing a (very) little research on a natural gas generator. I guess one billed as a tri-fuel can be made to work by an experienced mechanic which I am not. But one caveat is that natural gas burns hotter than gasoline and the engines are not designed for this so one wonders about their longevity. Supposedly Honda makes a tri-fuel but some say using natural gas voids the warranty

I guess there are some generators designed as natural gas/propane from the get go, but I am leery about the manufacturers. I know Generacs are well known and popular. What I don't know is about their reliability. I think for their gasoline ones they use Chinese engines.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
08-07-2014, 09:57 PM
As one who lived off the grid for forty years, i have had propane, gasoline and diesel powered generators. You want one that is quiet, always starts no matter how cold, fuel does no go bad, and no worries about condensation get a diesel with glow plugs. I have had the same one for 29 years.
09-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Very important information because enemy nations have developed the technology to fry all electrical computer components with EMP weapons, meaning your modern car would not start or run if attracted with an electric impulse. Everything with a computer brain would be done.

Quote:"Then they will say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us!' And to the hills, ‘Cover us!' If men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Book of Luke
09-06-2014, 08:27 AM
That's why I was interested in the Lister diesel engine. A CME can have the same effect and we just missed one about two years ago. I guess one question I have is the availability of fuel after an EMP/CME. I am not confident of my ability to produce bio-fuel that would work. That's one reason I am also looking into wood gas generators. I got plenty of wood (unless we go back to sailing ships).

I asked for opinons on the power equipment forum and heere's part of a reply I got:

"Given your description of small lot size and close neighbors, the noise might be a problem.

Also the quality of the AC sine wave might not be what you want. Alternator-type gens with no power conditioning are OK for bulk consumption like heating elements and lights...but motorized devices like refrigerator compressors and heating system blowers/pumps become unhappy with poor quality 60Hz AC.

Something like the Listeroid would be good for copying the time-tested diesel submarine power management model. Use the gen to charge a bank of deep-cycle batteries, then use a pure-sine inverter to convert the stored DC energy into a clean 60Hz sine to feed your house.

Very expensive, though. . . . "

(09-05-2014 10:04 PM)Col. Frank Slade Wrote:  Very important information because enemy nations have developed the technology to fry all electrical computer components with EMP weapons, meaning your modern car would not start or run if attracted with an electric impulse. Everything with a computer brain would be done.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
09-06-2014, 09:29 PM
When the Col. lost power during last winter’s holiday ice storm his stand-by generator powered the house so all the family could come over and have a Christmas event. The Col. found out some things about fuel consumption when his unit was burning up 1.5 to 2 gallons an hour of LP under load. When the Col. called for a delivery the gas company was running around the area using emergency delivery policies. They were asking a bunch of questions to make sure people truly needed the LP delivery to keep the unit running because they didn’t have the drivers on for the event. It was an eye opener about any true disaster. Someone would need to milk the LP tank and only turn on the unit for short time frames to conserve fuel during a prolonged event.

Quote:"Then they will say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us!' And to the hills, ‘Cover us!' If men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Book of Luke
09-07-2014, 07:34 AM
An EMP/CME could mean the grid would be down for years. They will burn out the necessary big transformers of which there are no spares and which take 6 months to a year to make in normal times. Additionally unless the fuel dealer is using really old trucks they won't be making deliveries emergency or otherwise anytime soon.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
02-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Did anyone get a Lister diesel gen? How well does it work (start) in cold weather?

I am still leaning towards a Honda tri fuel although having a Lister with an optional conversion to run off vegetable oil is interesting. Anyone have one and how well does that work?

Central Maine Diesel in Hampden is not a Honda dealer but they but them and convert them and sell already converted to run on propane. They show them with a 20 lbs LPG tank. On a generator forum I read LPG gens were tough to start in cold weather unless one starts it with gasoline which then runs the risk of gumming up the carb. I assume CMD couldn't sell too many in Maine if that were the case I also heard (and it may apply to the larger Hondas that a 20 lbs tank doesn't have enough pressure. I also read the there is aBBB complaint against them. Anyone familiar with them and their converted Honda gens?

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
11-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Propane pressure is entirely dependent on temperature. On a standard day (68 degrees) a propane tank pressure is 160 PSI. At 20 below zero the pressure could be as low as 15 PSI. In Arizona, a propane tank in direct sunlight can vent propane due to pressure. ALL of the propane could vent from the heat. In hot climates, propane tanks must be in the shade.