Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fairpoint's poor customer service!
01-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Fairpoint's poor customer service!
It is no wonder that Fairpoint, Maine's only state wide telephone provider is losing customers. Their customer service stinks! And here is a real eye opener; they are really two companies, one, Fairpoint Communications is the company that took over the Verizon landlines throughout the state and two, Fairpoint Classic, the company that had aalready purchased many of the older Independent telephone companies scattered throughout Maine.

One of the problems with customer service is their tech service and customer service are apparently confused as to which company to serve. So be very cautious when trying to deal with them and immediately ask for a supervisor or manager because all you will get from a tech is the run-a-round.

Another little known fact is that Internet service is not regulated by either the Maine PUC or the FCC. And trying to get Fairpoint to help with a Internet or DSL problem is a lesson in complete frustration. However, since I am a retiree of the old AT&T I know my way around some of these roadblocks and Fairpoint will come out second best. Knowing what I have shared above will give you some leg up and hopefully give you some help. What this company apparently fails to comprehend is that good customer service on their landlines, whether it is DSL or Internet riding on it is their ticket to staying in business. They certainly do not know how to run a telephone company now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
RE: Fairpoint's poor customer service!
I have had nothing but positive results when dealing with Fairpoint, switched the business from Time Warner and the house from Verizon, couldn't be happier.
01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Did away with 2 landlines and had those numbers "ported" to a second and third cel phone for an extra $10/mo.
So for $20/mo, I'm saving the $50+business and $30+ home charges.
Now if we could get some less expensive broadband in rural Maine, I'd be a happy camper.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-02-2014, 09:27 PM
The Baldacci broadband line to rural Maine goes all the way to Madawaska. It goes by my house. Rural towns cannot tap in to that line. We remain on the "twisted pair" DSL system. I can't even watch a one minute YouTube video without the video freezing repeatedly to let the data catch up.
01-02-2014, 11:01 PM
I hope to see Premium Choice Broadband in Bangor expand their coverage area. They have service in central Maine and the Moosehead region. Very reasonable rates and they treat customers well. Good Maine company.
01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
We switched from Fairpoint to Comcast. Now we're thinking of dropping them and going with just cell phones. In addition to the seasonal charge, Comcast charges us $10 a month to have a seasonal greeting that the phone service has been turned off at the subscriber's request. I would kinda like to still be listed in the white pages so all the telemarketers can waste their time, money and energy.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
01-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Fairpoint has improved greatly in the past few years in my opinion. DSL service is better, technical assistance for dsl is good with Americans manning the phones.
Verizon left the infrastructure in poor shape when they lost interest in serving Maine - so I've heard.
01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Well it took a week and dozens of telephone calls but we got the DSL/Internet problem fixed on my brothers Fairpoint service. He had acquired an additional laptop in addition to his desktop but the Fairpoint modem would not allow the addition of a wireless router as it had only one port. After many calls and conversations with Fairpoint people to no avail it took the old method of knowing someone who knew someone to acquire a multiport modem and now the laptop is working. No thanks to Fairpoint Comm. I suspect it was Fairpoint Classic person who hung the new modem on his door. I went up this morning and got it all connected and working for him. He is happy now!
01-05-2014, 08:29 AM
This thread and the feedback is both interesting and timely for me, as I've been thinking about a change for my Tel/Int/TV usage. My current provider for both telephone and internet is U.S. Cell, but their service has really taken a dive over the past six months (mostly related to a new billing system they are attempting to use). Time Warner has provided us with fair service for the only package I can afford with them (Basic) but I've heard several companies like Fairpoint are now offering some good package deals. It's time for some research, and suggestions are certainly welcome.
01-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Well I am biased because I am an old AT&T retiree, when there was still a great telephone company. What we have to day is a conglomeration of companies all with different equipment that is not always compatible, so that quality is awful Couple with that the poor customer service that pervades all companies today and it is a crap shoot. I am satisfied with Fairpoint as far as service is concerned as long as you don't have to use their customer service. That stinks! And the fact that they don't have a clue at being a telephone company. It appears that their top management is either awfully inept or are trying to make a quick buck and then split. They are basically raping the operation and putting very little back into its operation for future good. Just my opinion you understand!