Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MSEA-SEIU Local 1989
01-12-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: MSEA-SEIU Local 1989
$56 MILLION!!!

(01-12-2014 11:52 AM)Moving Forward Wrote:  FYI - From 2000 to 2012, it has been reported that SEIU HQ alone donated $56,016,342 to political campaigns

And what have members gotten in return for that $56 million?

The right to wear purple tee shirts!

Such a deal....not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2014, 06:46 AM
New contracts finally approved
Finally, some good news for state workers under the SEIU contracts!

We received word yesterday from Cynthia L. Montgomery, Chief Counsel with the State of Maine's Office of Employee Relations, that the 2013-2015 contracts have finally been approved and are now available for review at:
http://www.maine.gov/oer/contracts/index.htm

http://www.mseaseiu.org/

Needless to say, the membership and fee payers alike are likely to find some interesting new details in these contracts when we have time to read the fine print... of which there is a lot!
01-17-2014, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2014 04:04 PM by Sonny Laymatina.)
(01-17-2014 06:46 AM)Moving Forward Wrote:  Finally, some good news for state workers under the SEIU contracts! We received word yesterday from Cynthia L. Montgomery, Chief Counsel with the State of Maine's Office of Employee Relations, that the 2013-2015 contracts have finally been approved and are now available for review at: http://www.maine.gov/oer/contracts/index.htm

So as of January 16, 2014 msea members finally get to read "their" contract.

Yet their contract says it's effective from July 2, 2013:

ARTICLE 74. TERM OF AGREEMENT
This Agreement shall be effective from July 2, 2013 through June 30, 2015

Isn't that amazing?

Members only got to see "summaries" of it to vote on it.

And now they had to wait over six months after its effective date to actually get to read it.

Can you smell a pig in a poke?
01-20-2014, 09:23 AM
MSEA IN A NUTSHELL!

Banality of evil is a philosophical term meaning that evil occurs when ordinary individuals are put into corrupt situations that encourage their conformity. The phrase the 'banality of evil' was coined by philosopher Hannah Arendt after witnessing the trial of high-ranking Nazi Adolf Eichmann who seemed, at least to Arendt, to be the most mundane of individuals whose evil acts were driven by the requirements of the state and orders from above.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-mean...ty-of-evil
01-25-2014, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2014 11:53 AM by Moving Forward.)
ATTENTION STATE WORKERS

Since the new 2013-2015 contracts are finally posted for public review, here's one important update related to how your union dues and/or fees are being spent:

“5. Notice and Audit

MSEA-SEIU shall calculate the amount of the fee after the close of its annual audit, based on the expenditures reflected in the most recent available audited records. That calculation shall also be audited to verify that the union's records have actually been audited; have been correctly reproduced from the audit report, and that the union has performed any mathematical adjustments correctly, and for any other purpose required by law. The fee will be effective on a paydate at least thirty (30) days after the notice described below has been provided to members of the bargaining unit, or provided to newly eligible employees.

Once the audit is complete, MSEA-SEIU shall prepare a notice, consistent with applicable law, to all employees covered by this Agreement who are not members of MSEA-SEIU. Such notice shall be updated annually and shall explain the choices and indicate that the sums determined to be the service fee were audited by an independent auditor based on the union's financial records for its most recent fiscal year. The notices shall include all information required by applicable law, including at a minimum, the major categories of expenses, as reflected in the audit; whether each expense will be included in the service fee; the identity of the auditor(s); and the opinion of each audit, including the opinion included in any adjusted audit(s). The State agrees to distribute this notice and dues deduction forms, provided by MSEA-SEIU, to new employees at the time they are hired. MSEA-SEIU shall provide notices required by law to all current bargaining unit employees who are not members of MSEA-SEIU. Any change in the amount of the service fee to be deducted shall be certified to the State's Office of Employee Relations by the Treasurer of MSEA-SEIU at least thirty (30) days in advance of the change. At the same time MSEA-SEIU provides the annual notice to non-members, it will also make the notice available to MSEA-SEIU members through means of communication available to the Union, such as posting on MSEA-SEIU’s website.”

SOURCE: http://www.maine.gov/oer/contracts/msea/...5-2013.pdf
------

What's missing from those two paragraphs of the contract?
Although this labor union puts a huge amount of weight on their annual audit, the membership and fee payers deserve to understand exactly what the audit does-not-do... it does nothing to ensure that the union's LARGE amount of political expenses/activities are not included within the non-political billing codes and related totals used to determine the annual dues and/or Fair Share Fees.

IMHO, the state contracts should include that specific requirement, but what are the chances SEIU would agree to that?

Do our state workers even care about having accurate accounting records from that labor union?

-----------
Expose and document the Far-Left,
Support the Right.
01-26-2014, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 03:32 PM by Narsbars.)
(01-01-2014 09:40 AM)Islander Wrote:  Forced union dues, money well spent, lol

There are no forced dues in Maine. There is no ability for any Union in the U.S. to force an employee to pay dues.
If you want the right to be a dead beat, free rider, say so!
Be proud of your selfisness, but as I said, no one can be forced to pay dues.

Yes, Sonny, I smell a pig. I smell your ignorance and hate.
Since it is the fault of the State for delaying so long to agree to the contract's final printing after having tried to slip through language never agreed to, that the Union caught and deleted if you really cared about employees you would be happy that the contracts are reviewed before being printed.
How does it feel not having a Narantula to keep your arguments one sided?

(01-17-2014 04:03 PM)Sonny Laymatina Wrote:  
(01-17-2014 06:46 AM)Moving Forward Wrote:  Finally, some good news for state workers under the SEIU contracts! We received word yesterday from Cynthia L. Montgomery, Chief Counsel with the State of Maine's Office of Employee Relations, that the 2013-2015 contracts have finally been approved and are now available for review at: http://www.maine.gov/oer/contracts/index.htm

So as of January 16, 2014 msea members finally get to read "their" contract.

Yet their contract says it's effective from July 2, 2013:

ARTICLE 74. TERM OF AGREEMENT
This Agreement shall be effective from July 2, 2013 through June 30, 2015

Isn't that amazing?

Members only got to see "summaries" of it to vote on it.

And now they had to wait over six months after its effective date to actually get to read it.

Can you smell a pig in a poke?

Why lie? The Feds audit the Union expenditures far more thoroughly than I expect you would be willing to put up with for the Koch brothers, or the Poloquin "tree farm".
The audits by the Fed are done every year and in exacting detail. So I ask if you lie just out of ignorance, or is it because you are just attention seeking and willing to throw anything out there?
Remember, this is not the old Narantula protected area. You have to deal with facts.

(01-25-2014 11:49 AM)Moving Forward Wrote:  ATTENTION STATE WORKERS

Since the new 2013-2015 contracts are finally posted for public review, here's one important update related to how your union dues and/or fees are being spent:

“5. Notice and Audit

MSEA-SEIU shall calculate the amount of the fee after the close of its annual audit, based on the expenditures reflected in the most recent available audited records. That calculation shall also be audited to verify that the union's records have actually been audited; have been correctly reproduced from the audit report, and that the union has performed any mathematical adjustments correctly, and for any other purpose required by law. The fee will be effective on a paydate at least thirty (30) days after the notice described below has been provided to members of the bargaining unit, or provided to newly eligible employees.

Once the audit is complete, MSEA-SEIU shall prepare a notice, consistent with applicable law, to all employees covered by this Agreement who are not members of MSEA-SEIU. Such notice shall be updated annually and shall explain the choices and indicate that the sums determined to be the service fee were audited by an independent auditor based on the union's financial records for its most recent fiscal year. The notices shall include all information required by applicable law, including at a minimum, the major categories of expenses, as reflected in the audit; whether each expense will be included in the service fee; the identity of the auditor(s); and the opinion of each audit, including the opinion included in any adjusted audit(s). The State agrees to distribute this notice and dues deduction forms, provided by MSEA-SEIU, to new employees at the time they are hired. MSEA-SEIU shall provide notices required by law to all current bargaining unit employees who are not members of MSEA-SEIU. Any change in the amount of the service fee to be deducted shall be certified to the State's Office of Employee Relations by the Treasurer of MSEA-SEIU at least thirty (30) days in advance of the change. At the same time MSEA-SEIU provides the annual notice to non-members, it will also make the notice available to MSEA-SEIU members through means of communication available to the Union, such as posting on MSEA-SEIU’s website.”

SOURCE: http://www.maine.gov/oer/contracts/msea/...5-2013.pdf
------

What's missing from those two paragraphs of the contract?
Although this labor union puts a huge amount of weight on their annual audit, the membership and fee payers deserve to understand exactly what the audit does-not-do... it does nothing to ensure that the union's LARGE amount of political expenses/activities are not included within the non-political billing codes and related totals used to determine the annual dues and/or Fair Share Fees.

IMHO, the state contracts should include that specific requirement, but what are the chances SEIU would agree to that?

Do our state workers even care about having accurate accounting records from that labor union?
01-26-2014, 05:04 PM
WELCOME BACK NARSBARS!

Quote:There are no forced dues in Maine.

Errr…Maine is a collective bargaining State.

That means wherever there is a collective bargaining contract in a Maine work place…

That means it’s a union shop…

That means you have 30 days to join the union or pay the dues (fee) or be fired.

Quote:There is no ability for any Union in the U.S. to force an employee to pay dues.

That’s only true in so called “right to work” States where union shops aren’t permitted.

Otherwise…what part of the above don’t you understand?

Quote:If you want the right to be a dead beat, free rider, say so!

Now you have just contradicted yourself…since “free riding” isn’t permitted in a union shop.

However if Maine State government were to outlaw “union shops”…

Then workers would have the right to choose whether to belong to a particular union or not.

It’s called freedom of choice and freedom of association.

And for all you labor union apologists out there….

There are no “free rider” concerns in a “right to work” State!

Because labor unions in “right to work” States only have to represent people who pay them!

They don’t have to (and don’t) represent workers who don’t pay them.

Just like any other business.

Quote:Be proud of your selfisness, but as I said, no one can be forced to pay dues.

Right….workers in a union shop must pay up or get fired!

Quote:Yes, Sonny, I smell a pig. I smell your ignorance and hate.

If msea isn’t paying you to write this stuff…then you should be charging them for services rendered.

Quote:Since it is the fault of the State for delaying so long to agree to the contract's final printing after having tried to slip through language never agreed to, that the Union caught and deleted if you really cared about employees you would be happy that the contracts are reviewed before being printed.

I have no problem with parties to an agreement going back and forth to review for the final draft.

However, that’s not what I complained about earlier.

I complained about msea not providing members with copies of the Tentative Agreement.

Instead msea provided “their” members summaries of the Tentative Agreement.

Think about that for a minute!

Members were not permitted to see the TA for ratification purposes.

Sorry…but only an Animal Farm fool would defend such a policy.

So much for you really caring about employees.

Quote:How does it feel not having a Narantula to keep your arguments one sided?

Don’t know what you’re talking about.

01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
You go to a lot of detail to prove you are wrong. Agency fee can be charged, but neither dues and Union membership may not be mandated under both State and Federal law.

I know for a fact that you are an intelligent person. Don't look like a fool and lie to the ignorant. Try to make your case, state your points and win on the merit of your case. You won't but you can at least lose graciously.
I do not believe you don't know these things, and anyone who does believe them doesn't deserve your time or respect.

Get it right, tell the truth, and we can talk.
B.S. About 'forced dues" and you can continue to preach to the deluded.
Never been away: Narantula was afraid to let me post and banned me, several members of "Dead thread" promised to post about it to invite discussion and none of them ever had the guts.

(01-26-2014 05:04 PM)Sonny Laymatina Wrote:  WELCOME BACK NARSBARS!

Quote:There are no forced dues in Maine.

Errr…Maine is a collective bargaining State.

That means wherever there is a collective bargaining contract in a Maine work place…

That means it’s a union shop…

That means you have 30 days to join the union or pay the dues (fee) or be fired.

Quote:There is no ability for any Union in the U.S. to force an employee to pay dues.

That’s only true in so called “right to work” States where union shops aren’t permitted.

Otherwise…what part of the above don’t you understand?

Quote:If you want the right to be a dead beat, free rider, say so!

Now you have just contradicted yourself…since “free riding” isn’t permitted in a union shop.

However if Maine State government were to outlaw “union shops”…

Then workers would have the right to choose whether to belong to a particular union or not.

It’s called freedom of choice and freedom of association.

And for all you labor union apologists out there….

There are no “free rider” concerns in a “right to work” State!

Because labor unions in “right to work” States only have to represent people who pay them!

They don’t have to (and don’t) represent workers who don’t pay them.

Just like any other business.

Quote:Be proud of your selfisness, but as I said, no one can be forced to pay dues.

Right….workers in a union shop must pay up or get fired!

Quote:Yes, Sonny, I smell a pig. I smell your ignorance and hate.

If msea isn’t paying you to write this stuff…then you should be charging them for services rendered.

Quote:Since it is the fault of the State for delaying so long to agree to the contract's final printing after having tried to slip through language never agreed to, that the Union caught and deleted if you really cared about employees you would be happy that the contracts are reviewed before being printed.

I have no problem with parties to an agreement going back and forth to review for the final draft.

However, that’s not what I complained about earlier.

I complained about msea not providing members with copies of the Tentative Agreement.

Instead msea provided “their” members summaries of the Tentative Agreement.

Think about that for a minute!

Members were not permitted to see the TA for ratification purposes.

Sorry…but only an Animal Farm fool would defend such a policy.

So much for you really caring about employees.

Quote:How does it feel not having a Narantula to keep your arguments one sided?

Don’t know what you’re talking about.

01-26-2014, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 06:48 PM by Truth or Consequences.)
Narsbar, if you are totally inappropriate and are outting people on threads and the owner/editor does not dismiss you, the duration of this webpage would be extremely brief. That is what you did on AMG and you were barred and should have been barred! You insult Naran for doing what ALL asked be done...............sorry but you asked for it! And AMG is up and working so the MSEA-SEIU thread has been reactivated. You probably will NOT be reinvitied if you can't clean up your act! Stop blaming everybody else and own some responsiblity for your own actions. There does need to be some monitoring or it becomes a dangerous area where people will REFUSE to participate and then bye-bye webpage. People should be adult enough to agree to disagree without becoming so angry that they are revealing one's personal information. I am SORRY may be accepted! You may want to give it a try!

It was great hearing from you again, have a great day!
01-26-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 07:48 PM by Narsbars.)
1. If you use someone's name or handle, try to spell it correctly.

Are you just afraid to respond to the thread? Go ahead, post some of the AMG posts where there was a demand for me to be removed........waiting......
Next: You said it, you prove it. I have never outed anyone on any forum. Further, outing someone means to expose, unhide, or to provide private information about someone. I called Sonny intelligent, if you disagree tell him, not me. I stick with my statement.

I don't have to agree with someone to be able to acknowledge their capabilities.In case the term is unfamiliar to you it is because I have ethics.
I will wait for you to prove it.................waiting.........waiting...............I will still be waiting when Hades swimming pool freezes over. It never happened.

Waiting................. Maybe you can get Naran to fake some up if I give you the time..........
Try to post proof of any Maine State employee being forced to join a Union or to pay dues................Waiting..................Waiting..............I am probably being unfair to the factually challenged, so let me give you a hint. There is no proof because it does not happen.

The real issue is that I challenge right wing rants with facts and the type of person who calls facts insulting has only damaged their own image. I can't pray for you but I do offer my sympathy.

Now before you go screaming "librul" let me point out the basic differences between the left and the right.

The difference between the left and the right.

1. (L) I promise to continue caring about people I don’t know.
© To continue not caring, even condemning people I don’t know.
2. (L) To P.O. off as many conservatives as humanly possible using facts.
© To P.O. off as many liberals as humanly possible by ignoring all facts.
3. (L) To mock religious fundamentalists. Especially evolution denying Creationists.
© To embrace religious fundamentalists. Especially evolution denying Creationists.
4. (L) To vote for a working government. America has problems to solve for the benefit of all..
© To vote for a broken government. America is solving too many problems for the benefit of people who are not me or not rich.
5. (L) To look forward to a brighter future for everyone.

(01-26-2014 06:39 PM)Truth or Consequences Wrote:  Narsbar, if you are totally inappropriate and are outting people on threads and the owner/editor does not dismiss you, the duration of this webpage would be extremely brief. That is what you did on AMG and you were barred and should have been barred! You insult Naran for doing what ALL asked be done...............sorry but you asked for it! And AMG is up and working so the MSEA-SEIU thread has been reactivated. You probably will NOT be reinvitied if you can't clean up your act! Stop blaming everybody else and own some responsiblity for your own actions. There does need to be some monitoring or it becomes a dangerous area where people will REFUSE to participate and then bye-bye webpage. People should be adult enough to agree to disagree without becoming so angry that they are revealing one's personal information. I am SORRY may be accepted! You may want to give it a try!

It was great hearing from you again, have a great day!