Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MSEA-SEIU Local 1989
01-02-2014, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 03:36 PM by Truth or Consequences.)
RE: MSEA-SEIU Local 1989
Well folks here is the newest benefit being offered to members. I tend to believe that anybody can belong. Just remember that there is a contract AND MSEA gets a kickback from everybody that signs up. I too heard that it is not unionized, unlike CMP. So be sure to check out the rates and read the contract carefully. Make sure it is NOT like the Contract Bargainning Agreement or you can count on getting some hefty increases after signing up. Afterall, MSEA admits they get paid from Union Atlantic Electricity. I wonder if this kick-back will lower our dues; specifically "Fair Share"? If a majority signs up, again, MSEA is making a pretty good profit that will be used on political campaigns. Money for who, "YES", MSEA staff AND politics NOT the members. I believe that MSEA staff members should be paid by state government. Afterall, it feels as though they are part of the BOHR family. I heard that BOHR's slogan has been, "If you can't beat them, join them"! I guess MSEA has decided to join BOHR!

New MSEA-SEIU membership benefit:
Choose Union Electricity

Union Atlantic Electricity has partnered with the Maine State Employees Association, SEIU Local 1989, to offer our members guaranteed low-cost rates on electricity.

Union Atlantic shares MSEA-SEIU's values and its commitment to strengthening and supporting Maine's working families.

Union Atlantic Electricity is a Maine-owned company offering MSEA-SEIU members and retirees fixed one- and two-year contracts designed to lock in competitive rates for our members. In addition to providing guaranteed low prices, Union Atlantic Electricity will give a portion of its profits back to MSEA-SEIU Local 1989.

For every MSEA-SEIU member who makes the switch from their current provider, Union Atlantic Electricity will invest a portion of its profits directly back into our union.

Now you can lock in affordable guaranteed rates for your family with a company committed to supporting the union movement here in Maine, and have a portion of your electricity bill come back to MSEA-SEIU.

The MSEA-SEIU Member Benefits Committee and the Board of Directors understood the value of partnering with Union Atlantic Electricity. They are more than a vendor offering our members a great price on a commodity that we all use very day. They are a real partner in strengthening Maine's labor movement and supporting the important work, organizing and advocacy of MSEA-SEIU.

"Union Atlantic Electricity is a local company that shares our values, is committed to creating union jobs here in Maine, and offers our members a real choice when selecting an electric supply company dedicated to strengthening our union," said Ginette Rivard, president of MSEA-SEIU Local 1989. "I've already made the switch, and I encourage all of our members to join me."

With electricity rates expected to rise, lock in these great rates now.

Below are Union Atlantic Electricity rates for CMP and Bangor Hydro residential customers.

Union Atlantic Electricity:

1-Year Fixed Rate: 7.125 cents kWh

2-Year Fixed Rate: 7.400 cents kWh

Union Atlantic Electricity's Green Option:

1-Year Fixed Rate: 8.605 cents kWh

2-Year Fixed Rate: 8.880 cents kWh

For more information, go to http://www.unionatlanticelectricity.com/msea and also check out the Maine Stater arriving in your mailbox soon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
So msea-SEIu is pushing members to sign up with Union Atlantic Electricity because according to msea President Ginette Rivard "...they share our values." Translation: they share Rivard's skewed sense of progressive politics. That is a certain percentage of any money you pay this provider will go towards "progressive" political causes....which isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's where your head's at and given everyone's right to associate with whom they deem fit....otherwise not.
01-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Is SEIU Local 1989 still receiving kickbacks for each member who joins the Income Protection Insurance? Hmmmm, I wonder if those revenues are also spent on political activities for SEIU... but it's hard to know since they co-mingle so many of their expenses. Sad but 100% true!
01-03-2014, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 11:38 AM by Truth or Consequences.)
Of course MSEA receives a kick-back from Income Protection Insurance. And members use this benefit as an excuse to continue being a member of an association that member's don't trust when they clearly understand the dark side of MSEA. Again, if the state offered income protection as a benefit at the same rate that MSEA offers this benefit would there be changes such as a decline as it relates to the number of members. Would more state workers become "fair share" participants? I have heard that the state is NOT legally permitted to offer income protection, or short term disability insurance because of the contract bargainning agreement or the back door hand shakes that happened under Baldacci's administration. Certainly we all would like to have more insight on this topic.

Now let's briefly discuss the 17% cut for state workers that happened under the Baldacci administration. Many believe that MSEA sold state workers out because MSEA did NOT follow thru with continuing to make sure that state workers received a 0% cut, at the very least. At that time state workers were receiving mandatory shut-down days with no pay and were paying a portion of health insurance. Of course the issue at that time was balancing the state budget. Probably what would have happened as in past cuts when working for state and having unions involved, is that there would have been job cuts and the bumping begins etc. So, was it better for state workers to take a 17% cut across the board or should there have been job cuts, bumping, etc.?

What I do understand is if there had been a significant portion of state workers cut from the state workforce, MSEA would have lost a significant amount of dues monies and "fair share" monies. Obviously this creates an issue for not just MSEA but the democrats with getting financial assistance for campaigns from SEIU. I think that people forget that not only does MSEA spend our monies on campaigns against our wishes, but on top of these politically expenditures, SEIU makes a huge contribution not only in Maine but throughout the United States. Many understand the illegal actitivities that have happened with SEIU staff members nationwide and we understand that mobsters have been linked to SEIU so WHY are members surprised with what happens at a small union like MSEA. Many believe if it was NOT for the SEIU affiliation that MSEA would crumple and dissolve. Perhaps if there is new leadership at MSEA and it became a local union again the membership would be far better off.
01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
(01-03-2014 11:36 AM)Truth or Consequences Wrote:  Many believe if it was NOT for the SEIU affiliation that MSEA would crumple and dissolve.

This is a foolish myth!

MSEA pays SEIU millions of dollars in dues revenue....for tee shirts.

SEIU and the Democrats get msea members' money...

While msea members get to wear SEIU tee shirts.

Of course the usual Stooges at msea will tell you...

That SEIU helps make msea members political players.

But that's a lie too....reference Baldacci's -17% wage cuts & Obama's lies.
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Obama lies?

Who knew?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-03-2014, 07:10 PM
But you guys look so good in purple...
01-04-2014, 08:35 AM
(01-03-2014 11:36 AM)Truth or Consequences Wrote:  I have heard that the state is NOT legally permitted to offer income protection, or short term disability insurance because of the contract bargainning agreement...

Great point TorC, and it's a real shame we still don't even have a new contract to read... as the state says SEIU Local 1989 still hasn't agreed to the wording. The old contract from 2009 is all that's available for review online. Why doesn't the membership and fee payers demand resolution on this issue?
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 02:17 PM by Truth or Consequences.)
Moving Forward, I am sure that members and Fair Share participants that have asked about the contract, income protection, etc. never get an answer or members are ignoring MSEA because they understand what goes on at MSEA. MSEA administrators are rude and threatening to members that ask questions. In fact, my understanding is that when members ask too many questions they work with the state to get rid of the member(s), who by the way pay their salaries. Some members receive such bad harrasment that they decide to move on because they are far too stressed, feel unsafe or fear the intimidaters. We have heard about thugs that destroy other's property and bully member(s). It is mind-blowing why the democrats that are elected by the people of Maine stand behind unions when they are aware these crimes and real public employees (people) are being harrassed and/or are forced to leave jobs. The public at large lack knowledge of what unions are doing to public employees but the democrats holding office are fully aware which makes them part of the problem. I am not a republican but I certainly recognize what is happening within the democratic party.

There was a thread here that has been closed regarding the closing of AMG. Could it be that Scott Fish received a great offer from an interest group or interest groups to keep AMG down or sell it to an interest group that controls what issues are discussed and who is allowed to post? Money talks! Could it be that MSEA-SEIU is playing a role on keeping AMG down or offering a sum of money that is too good to say NO? We all understand that some people on the AMG MSEA thread were threatened with letters of being sued by MSEA but it did not stop these bloggers because they have the right to freely express themselves providing they are being truthful and they are entitled to share personal thoughts and prospectives of what MSEA does with our money, exposing corruption and asking/sharing appropriate information.

It is too bad that when you try to open the AMG thread that there is not a link leading you to this webpage. I understand this is probably a money issue and Mr. Scott deserves some monies for the years. AMG was a very popular thread. I hope that Mr. Fish does NOT sell his thread to any interest group that would prevent the topics and freedom of speech that he obviously believed in and delivered for many years!

I would NOT put anything past MSEA-SEIU. They were tortured for years by the AMG/MSEA thread.
01-04-2014, 02:06 PM
(01-04-2014 10:54 AM)Truth or Consequences Wrote:  I would NOT put anything past MSEA-SEIU. They were tortured for years by the AMG/MSEA thread.

Just like the USSR was tortured for years by Radio Free Europe.

Hee, hee, hee!