Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Smart" meters
01-02-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: "Smart" meters
There's now a film on this. Check out the two trailers here. http://www.utilitydive.com/news/the-anti...ie/161114/

Smart meters can be a good thing if the utilities set up things so customers can use them effectively. So far, at least in CMP's case, there's room for lots of improvement. From what Butch writes, it looks like Bangor Hydro needs some improvement too.

For anyone who wants to dig into this stuff there are three open cases at the Maine PUC related to this.

One is something the Maine supreme court kicked back to the PUC related to health hazards from smart meters. Personally, I'm not too worried about that and don't know why people who use cell phones, smart phones, wireless stuff in the house, etc. are upset about smart meters in that regard.

Another case at the PUC is more serious. When CMP got approval from the PUC to install smart meters CMP claimed it would result in customer savings of $25 million over 20 years. Now it appears, based on analysis by PUC staff, that instead of a $25 million savings it's more like $80-90 million added cost to customers. So the PUC has opened a case to look at that.

The third case at PUC is the CMP rate case and all this stuff having to do with smart meters is going to figure in that.

I can write more on all this but will leave it at that for now. It can be pretty arcane and get pretty boring if you're not into it. Stuff that causes most peoples' eyes to glaze over. Sometimes my own eyes get pretty glazed over looking at all this. Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 12:23 AM
A person from Bangor Hydro stop by today to test my meter. According to the test, my meter is fine. I asked about how the signal is transferred to the company, and was told that it goes over the power lines. I then asked about whether or not the signal could be interrupted along the way somehow. Person I spoke to said that he had never heard of such a thing, but couldn't say for certain that it could not happen.

Thus far, no one has been able to explain the huge spikes that sometimes happen when no one is home.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Butch - and anyone else having a problem with smart meters - get in touch with the consumer assistance division of Maine PUC. http://www.maine.gov/mpuc/consumer/index.shtml Telephone for PUC is 287-3831.

Could also call the Public Advocate's office at 287-2445.

If anyone calls either of these numbers it helps to make some notes before you call - about why you're calling - since these people are dealing with lots of different stuff sometimes and clarity helps them when you call.
01-03-2014, 10:35 AM
(01-02-2014 01:37 PM)Ugene Wrote:  CMP, or BHE?

I have CMP.
01-22-2014, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 05:36 PM by Butch Moore.)
After spending some time looking at the usage information Emera (formerly Bangor Hydro) provides today, I realized that my usage this year is DOWN compared to last year, but my bill is going up. Apparently it is the rate hikes that are making my bill go out of sight, not my usage at all. In December of 2013 year, I used over 100kwh LESS than in December of 2012, but my bill is HIGHER. WTF is going on?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Rainbow RE: "Smart" meters
Can you say GREEN energy?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Their costs do not go down so your bill will not go down, use less and the rates go up to maintain payroll, benefits, maintenance, compliance with tons of regulations and the list goes on. Heck they charge me about $10.00/ month just to have lines to the cottage ( no power ).
05-04-2014, 08:43 PM
A friend of mine tracked his usage and saw spikes during different times including when he wasn't home. Turned out one of his appliances (fridge, water heater, water pump - can't remember) was failing. New tech is sometimes a slow start and hard to imagine as useful. I asked my boss for internet access in the late 90s (other departments had it) and he said we had no business use for it. I replied that we would find uses for it and should start now instead of playing catch-up. Utilities have had telemetry to receive data on transmission lines for decades. Distribution lines, which comprise nearly 90% of wire miles, have been largely "dark". A nearby utility has just under 3,000 miles of transmission (through the woods) and over 25,000 miles of distribution (along the roads). Gaining visibility and granularity about the condition of the distribution system will change business. Smart meters are a start in that direction. Quality communications are the obstacle.
05-05-2014, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 06:00 AM by Ugene.)
(05-04-2014 08:43 PM)Knucklehead Wrote:  A friend of mine tracked his usage and saw spikes during different times including when he wasn't home. Turned out one of his appliances (fridge, water heater, water pump - can't remember) was failing. New tech is sometimes a slow start and hard to imagine as useful. I asked my boss for internet access in the late 90s (other departments had it) and he said we had no business use for it. I replied that we would find uses for it and should start now instead of playing catch-up. Utilities have had telemetry to receive data on transmission lines for decades. Distribution lines, which comprise nearly 90% of wire miles, have been largely "dark". A nearby utility has just under 3,000 miles of transmission (through the woods) and over 25,000 miles of distribution (along the roads). Gaining visibility and granularity about the condition of the distribution system will change business. Smart meters are a start in that direction. Quality communications are the obstacle.

What is the likeliyhood of seeing transmission rates drop if the power distribution companies are able to piggyback services on their lines?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
05-05-2014, 12:38 PM
In the language or "utility-speak" I understand and use, Tranmission and Distribution are two different things defined by voltage level. Are you talking about different power SUPPLIERS having access to a Distribution network - because they already do. Or are you talking about piggybacking comms like phone and cable on the same circuits carrying electricity, like power line carrier signals used to transmit data over energized transmission? If the latter, then as you probably already know very well, fiber optics has flown right past carrier signals.