Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Smart" meters
12-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Thumbs Down "Smart" meters
I metioned that I am having some issues with phantom power spikes showing up with Bangor Hydro's smart meter on AMG, but what I found today really takes the cake. I logged in to see how much electricity I had been using lately, and found out that I had been using quite a bit, WHILE THE POWER WAS OUT! Of course I called and was told that several other people had also called and that this was only a glitch in the "PowerSmart Maine" portion of their site and that I wouldn't be charged for the electricity that I obviously didn't use, but c'mon....how do I have any sort of confidence in this new "smart" system now?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2013, 05:00 PM
RE: "Smart" meters
So glad I kept the old meter. My son has seen spikes in his bills also, and no explanation from CMP
Find all posts by this user
12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
It is the same old walnut shell and pea game. What you get today is far from what we as customers got a few decades ago. I found out today that Fairpoint is actually two companies. One is the customers who came over from Verizaon and now known as Fairpoint Communcations. Thje other is those who were Independent Telephone customers who had joined Fairpoit earlier. They are known as Fairpoint Classic. Even many of the Fairpoint employees are not aware that there are two separate companies. What a way to skim the profits. I have spent a dozen calls and nearly a week in time trying to get them to address an issue and they kept telling me that there was no such customer. He was getting a monthly bill however.

Butch, ask them to have a manager call you back and prove to you that these glitches are not the spikes you are getting when you have power. The power words are, "Let me speak to your supervisor." If that is not working make it, "Let me speak to a manager." I would also alert the PUC about this. Something is not right and needs an explanation!
12-31-2013, 08:03 PM
I have them coming to test the meter, and if I'm not satisfied then I'll be going higher up the chain. Spikes at 0300 while I'm sleeping, or while I know I wasn't home just make no sense to me...

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
01-01-2014, 02:54 AM
I thought Smart meters were just a conspiracy wacko paranoia assailed by those that hated government and assured by those not so. I can't imagine that is not a well tested reasonable way to make sure all of us treat the limited resources that we have to keep us from freezing to death, while we global warm.

I'm hoping for some global warm, otherwise known as January Thaw, so I can bust the ice dams off my eaves
01-01-2014, 05:11 AM
There was no reason to change out the old meters, I bet they still send someone to read your smart meter also. Govt knows best
Y
01-01-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 08:51 AM by Ugene.)
The smart meter program is another of the Algorian's initiatives to control power usage at the home by charging more money when the home uses power at peak usage times as well as the future ability to lower voltage (brownouts) in some situations of huge power usage and actual shutdown (blackouts) in extreme cases.
All part of CMP's so called "smart grid" we are paying for to accomodate the fickle power produced by green sources.

Son that works for BHE says that the only meters in use are the old style Turtle AMR meters that transmit data to the company on a predetermined interval.
I'm not sure, but I think the data is sent via the actual powerline, and with all the chaos of the ice storm, such as power spikes when lines are grounded by trees, might be the reason for the glitch.
Something to be worked on for sure.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-02-2014, 11:32 AM
(01-01-2014 08:51 AM)Ugene Wrote:  Son that works for BHE says that the only meters in use are the old style Turtle AMR meters that transmit data to the company on a predetermined interval.
I'm not sure, but I think the data is sent via the actual powerline, and with all the chaos of the ice storm, such as power spikes when lines are grounded by trees, might be the reason for the glitch.

We use similar meter at work (water company) and they are indeed radio signals and not transmitted over the power lines.

We received the robo-calls asking if our power was still out and I also wondered why they couldn't tell from the meters.
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Someone is coming to test the meter today. I'll report back with what I find out.

01-02-2014, 01:37 PM
(01-02-2014 11:32 AM)Abacus Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 08:51 AM)Ugene Wrote:  Son that works for BHE says that the only meters in use are the old style Turtle AMR meters that transmit data to the company on a predetermined interval.

We use similar meter at work (water company) and they are indeed radio signals and not transmitted over the power lines.

We received the robo-calls asking if our power was still out and I also wondered why they couldn't tell from the meters.

CMP, or BHE?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh