Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Candice Casey
05-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Candice Casey
I would like to welcome our newest member, Candice Casey. She is fighting the good battle up in Rumford. She is also running for the town selectboard. Wish her luck in her race.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: Candice Casey
Thank you for introducing me to The Maine Citizen and for your support, Bob.

I will do my best for the community whatever happens on June 10th, whether it is from the Selectboards desk in addition to the many projects I participate in or as a citizen in the gallery continuing my many volunteer projects. I believe that Rumford has a tremendous amount of untapped potential that only needs people willing to not only call a spade a spade, but to offer solutions and elbow grease to make corrections.

If you are a resident of Rumford and haven't done so, please register to vote. It is not only your right, but your responsibility as a citizen of Rumford and these great United States to do all you can to inform yourself of the issues and candidates and to vote.

The national, state, county, and local ballots are now available at the town clerk's office for absentee voting. School ballots will be available on June 4th and can be obtained separately. As a confirmed believer in Murphy's Law, I voted Friday and will be casting my school ballot first thing June 4th. Don't risk missing your opportunity to vote, vote absentee early.
05-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Nice to see you here, Candice.
05-18-2014, 08:05 AM
(05-18-2014 07:50 AM)Three Pipe Problem Wrote:  Nice to see you here, Candice.
Thank you for the welcome. Appreciate it.
05-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Good luck with your campaign
05-21-2014, 06:59 PM
(05-18-2014 10:27 AM)Islander Wrote:  Good luck with your campaign

Thank you.
06-22-2014, 03:41 PM
The June 10th state primary, RSU 10 vote, and town voting did not go typically or well to put it mildly.

To begin with, the Town Clerk, for the first time in the history of voting in Rumford decided to process absentee ballots not out in the open at the polls at set hours on election day, but to process 209 of the 369 absentee ballots on June 9th in the conference room out of site of most interested parties. The process did not at all go smoothly, beginning at 9AM, the last ballot was not scanned until after 5:30PM!

From very early on, about the 3rd ballot, it was obvious the new voting machines have problems. Three sheets where filled reporting the machines had to be opened to compress, untangle, hard reboot, and perform other functions as ballots jammed, tangled, orientation marks could not be found, diverter failed, and more.

As the Republican Committee Chair, I felt obligated to be present from beginning to end. To fill the time, I kept a tally of the number of D, R, G, and U who submitted absentee ballots, how many had primary ballots, how many school, and how many town packages, which would turn out to be important in determining we had major problems with what was reported by the machines by the end of the day June 10th.

On June 9th, confined to a small corner of Town Hall Conference Room, I started timing with a stop watch, first how many ballots could be processed in 1 minute, between breakdowns, then how many in longer periods as it became obvious the machine generally could not run even 1 minute continuously without having to be opened. At best, 4 ballots a minute could be fed through the machine.

With the experience of June 9th, it was obvious June 10th would not go well, despite argument from the Clerk and Moderator who insisted everything was and continue to insist the machines were working perfectly (at the instruction of the manufacture, when things reached catastrophic failure a second machine was tried before a hard boot of a computer unit was used when the second machine also failed.)

On June 10th, the worst fears were realized as the wait time too insert ballots into machines became a dangerous to our largely elderly population, 1 hour 15 minutes! The three machines spent much of the day with the ballot storage areas left unlocked and open to facilitate the constant interventions required to keep even a less than 4 ballots a minute rate going. It was not unusual for machine problems to have to be dealt with each ballot for extended periods.

There are more anomalies that were revealed in the results reports than I will go into here. The following are macro anomalies should have been more than enough to trigger a manual count of primary, school, and all town ballots by Rumford's Town Clerk, the Moderator, and/or Secretary of State's elections office, sadly, that has not been the case.

On election night, Rumford Town Clerk Beth Bellegarde and Town Moderator Rob Cameron reported that 1,498 people voted either by absentee ballot or at the polls according to the voter registration list.

Cameron and Bellegarde on election night reported the State Primary ballot machine read 1,503 state primary ballots cast when 40% of Rumford voters are unenrolled and only 1,498 people requested and were issued absentee and poll ballots combined.

Cameron and Bellegarde on election night reported machines processing RSU 10 and municipal ballots read 1,504 RSU 10 ballots cast even though only 1,498 people requested and were issued voting materials with many absentee ballot material packages not including an RSU 10 ballot because they had not been issued when the packages were requested and no supplemental request was made to receive an RSU 10 ballot separately.

Cameron and Bellegarde on election night reported machines processing RSU 10 and municipal ballots read 1,505 town ballet sets read when only 1,498 requests for town voting materials was recorded in the registered voter book.

It has been nearly two weeks since the election with complaints and concerns about the new machines problems and questioned reports streaming in to town clerks and the secretary of state, yet no recounts to determine if the machines accurately read, recorded, and reported results is in processes. Even in the case of Rumford where the clerk and moderator reported more primary ballots processed than voters requesting ballots and 40% of Rumford voters would not have been given a primary ballot we are supposed to accept assurances that all is/was well with the election. Is this Maine or is this the Ukraine?