Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
American Food Safety In The News
12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
American Food Safety In The News
China rejects shipments of genetically modified corn

"China rejected two shipments -- almost 546,000 tons -- of U.S. dried distillers' grain, a corn byproduct, because it contained genetically modified material, state media reported Friday."

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la...z2ohAH2xll

Banned in 160 Nations, Legal in U.S. Meat Supply

"FDA Sued for Withholding Records Pertaining to Ractopamine Safety"

http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/banne...at-supply/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2013, 01:57 PM
RE: American Food Safety In The News
That's hilarious. Anyone that buys food with products from China has to have their head examined.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
12-31-2013, 09:15 AM
China has some sketchy processed foods for sure. It seems countries are more willing to turn a critical eye to imported foods versus domestic ones... I'm not sure there would be any political angle in their turning away so much corn.

Fun fact: based on regulations that changed last year, US companies will be shipping chicken carcasses top China for processing and then the results will be shipped back.
12-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Mmmmmm.......Yummy.

Pink slime.

That DDG that China refused more than likely was destined for pet food that was to be sold in the Eurozone.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-02-2014, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 08:15 AM by Ugene.)
The Maine champion for food safety has an op/ed in the BDN:
http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/01/op...your-food/

I wonder if she is still having problems flying to green party conventions.
LOL

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-02-2014, 08:39 AM
(01-02-2014 08:15 AM)Ugene Wrote:  The Maine champion for food safety has an op/ed in the BDN:
http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/01/op...your-food/

I wonder if she is still having problems flying to green party conventions.
LOL

Awesome comment by justprintmoemoney on that op-ed.
Ms. Oden spews nonsense about pig stomachs harmed by GMO feed.
The Science Blog Respectful Insolence has a great take-down of that error-filled study here.
01-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Letter to the editor today in the PPH citing the work of Purdue's (retired) Dr. Huber.

No proof forthcoming from Huber, though the anti-GMO crowd doesn't need proof.

Are the Findings of Dr. Don Huber Alarming or Alarmist?
Link from The Farmer's Life
01-03-2014, 11:03 PM
SOURCE

General Mills Starts Making Some Cheerios Without GMOs

"There is broad consensus that food containing GMOs is safe, but we decided to move forward with this in response to consumer demand," said Mike Siemienas, spokesman for General Mills.

The Minneapolis-based company said it chose Cheerios because the primary ingredient is oats, a crop that isn't grown from genetically modified seeds, so the transition just required it to find new sources of cornstarch and sugar."

I'm not anti GMO, BackShore; just an advocate for truth in labeling/advertising.

Cheerios is my favorite breakfast cereal and among my favorite snacks.
01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
BackShore, isn't focusing on one bad study and ignoring the others just repeating the same error as that of the pig study? Or focusing on just one blogger who happens to be very political?

What about e.g. Monsanto's own data showing GMO fed rates develop stunted kidney and blood abnormalities? http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/rats060205.cfm http://www.greenpeace.de/fileadmin/gpd/u...studie.pdf

Then there is the 2002 data submitted by Aventis (now Bayer Cropscience?) to UK regulators showing that chickens died twice as often compared to controls when fed glufosinate-tolerant GM corn Chardon LL (Food Safety: Contaminants and Toxins (CABI Publishing 2003 also Novotny E. Animals avoid GM food, for good reasons. Science in Society 21, 9-11, 2004)

What about the *other* studies reporting stomach holes, going back 10 years? (Pusztai A, Bardocz S and Ewen SWB. Genetically modified foods: Potential human health effects. In Food Safety: Contaminants and Toxins, (J P F D’Mello ed.), Scottish Agricultural College, Edinburgh, CAB International, 2003)

I cited dozens of these studies back on AMG, don't recall you ever taking an interest them BackShore.
01-08-2014, 12:57 PM
I am not going to take the time to read or react to every such study.
However, the actual scientists whose job it is to do that in order to protect the food supply have concluded that the GM foods on the market today are safe.
The New York Times article highlighted in this post from Reason does an excellent job relating the frustration of actual scientists who say the evidence does not support the views of the anti-GM movement.

You are free to fear whatever you want to fear.
It will be a sad day, though, when such fears hinder the world's ability to feed the poor.