Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deleting threads.
04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Deleting threads.
It appears as if someone decided to delete a few threads. I just set the permissions so that once someone responds to a thread, it cannot be deleted. You can still delete individual posts, just not threads. I feel it is unfair to delete a thread that people have taken the time to respond to. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:54 PM
RE: Deleting threads.
This is a reasonable policy... once comments are published there is every expectation that they're in the public view, and I think most commenters would like assurances that their contributions won't be deleted by others, barring some unusual circumstance.

If this has to do with the AMG thread, I would say the same thing. That is a sub-forum that anyone, without restriction, can register and view... so it's pretty close to public. I know Maine Democrat was upset about stuff showing up in Search results, and I'd be all for fixing that, but I don't think it's reasonable think of this as a privacy violation. Absolutely anyone could register, copy and paste that whole thread, or large portions, to a public web page at any time. To me, locking down the AMG thread is about politeness, not security. Maybe a different issue.
04-08-2014, 07:06 PM
It was in the Cooking, Gardening & Healthy Living forum. can't figure out why anyone would delete threads there.
04-08-2014, 07:29 PM
TPP, the AMG thread only shows up on search results if you are logged in here. I locked it to registered users only out of courtesy to Scott.
04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
For some reason that is unknown to me, Maine democrat decided to delete all of his or her posts. I wish he or she would have come to with any concerns.
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Getting back to your original post, I think it's a good idea that the thread cannot be deleted if someone responds.

As to the search engine, I didn't know all the results would show up in a search, but I'm not alarmed since I don't post anything I wouldn't want others to see anyway. But I can understand some people having a concern.
04-08-2014, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 09:03 PM by taxfoe.)
Very interesting!

So, MeD started and deleted the maple syrup thread . . I noticed that because I was going to add another post.

Raw speculation and probably pure coincidence but I posted a Kickstarter LINK to a ME family looking to expand their syrup operation . . I wonder if it was him (her/them)!

Just in case: No outing intended and I generally enjoyed your posts.
04-08-2014, 09:10 PM
I think Maine Democrat was shocked after reporting that when logged in as Guest, the AMG results were visible in Search Results. I can understand being shocked at the system not working as expected... that said, my above comment is meant to address his. There was never any reasonable expectation that the contents of AMG would be secret, IMHO. Come back, Maine Democrat!
04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
TPP, a guest can see that the AMG forum exists. They cannot see any threads or posts in that forum. When a guest tries to click on the forum it redirects to this.

You are either not logged in or do not have permission to view this page. This could be because one of the following reasons: 1.You are not logged in or registered. Please use the form at the bottom of this page to login.
2.You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
3.Your account may have been disabled by an administrator, or it may be awaiting account activation.
4.You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or links.
04-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Well I sure would hate to lose MeDem, enjoyed his posts.