Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ARTICLE V CONVENTION
05-01-2016, 06:41 AM
RE: ARTICLE V CONVENTION
Thanks Roger. It's interesting because the one on the website says it was ratified at the convention. That's why I was confused.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2016, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 12:47 PM by Roger Ek.)
They did ratify the platform with the two amendments. The question is whether visitors to the site are seeing the original proposed platform or the new amended platform.

"Marriage is defined as the union of one man and one woman." REMOVED FROM THE PLATFORM BY AN OVERWHELMING MAJORITY.

"The government of Maine exists to preserve and protect certain natural, inherent and inalienable rights endowed by our Creator for the benefit, protection and security of all citizens and future generations. To maintain this doctrine, the U. S. and Maine Constitutions are the framework to which all legislation must conform, therefore we pledge to:"

Those three lines were abolished by the endorsement of an Article 5 convention.

The platform also supports an Article V convention for a few limited purposes. Perhaps that's what you're referring to? FYI, I am totally opposed to an Article V convention for any purpose. Too much opportunity for mischief.

Agreed. Once you throw out our existing Constitution, it's "Game over, Man." We no longer have the talents our forefathers had. They spoke and wrote Greek, Latin, French and English. They understood mathematics and astronomy. Most of our citizens today think that George Washington defeated the Redcoats, Betsy Ross made the flag and we declared our independence on the 4th of July. That's about it. We are 36 out of 36 developed nations in academic achievement and Maine is in the bottom portion of that 36th place along with Mississippi and Louisiana. At the rate we are going we will be down there with Zimbabwe.
05-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Agreed totally on the idea of NOT having such a convention.

There is nothing the "meddlers" would want more to do today then to get their filthy hands on the sacred document that's preventing them from making us into their version of "Utopia".

My youngest son has landed a job with a Hermon excavation contractor as a truck driver. They will work on lots of road projects this year. He just turned 20 last Sat. He is willing to get out of the truck and work a rake or shovel, whatever has to be done. In fact he enjoys that kind of work. His co-workers cannot imagine that he is that age as he demonstrates a great willingness to do the work, something not present in many of the young of today's generation. We worked hard to raise two sons with that work ethic. The public schools fought us to a draw.....until we gave up on them. The last straw was when the Principal of Dexter High School called my son into his office to put him on the carpet.......for some anti-public school statements that I had posted on AMG. Those slimy tentacles reach far and deep and like Cap't Nemo's giant squid, need to be chopped off before we will ever get out country back again!

As far as us looking like Zimbabwe, couldn't agree more. It's scary today to look at our young folks in public. I keep asking myself: "who would hire them, what are they capable of"?

At least three generations of welfare, in many families, has removed the genetic predisposition that they once had for self-preservation. Today they know nothing other than how to get in line to get their needs met. What is going to happen to them when "Yellen-Bucks" lose their value quicker than the German mark in the Weimar republic in 1923?

This has the potential to be a disaster that would make "genocide" in Rawanda look like a picnic, and most are too stupid to see it.

WC
05-03-2016, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 01:35 PM by Roger Ek.)
My older son worked in the Lincoln mill for the summer of 1984. There was a layoff in 1985 and the paper industry was in a recession. My son hopped a plane and flew to Seattle. He rented a one bedroom apartment and worked as an apprentice shipwright at Tacoma Boat, a shipyard. He did not know a soul on the West Coast. Today he designs computers that test computers.

You know how you want something better for your kids? I cut brush and worked as a rod man for a surveying company summers when I was in college. Our younger son went to work at the French School on Deer Isle teaching college girls how to sail. He asked us to bring him some supplies. We went down and asked where Matt was. He was up in the rec hall in a pile of people playing Twister. In that pile was Miss Wisconsin. As I said, "something better".

Capt. Selin, the owner asked Matt if he could bring supplies out to Isle au Haut, about eight miles out in the Atlantic. Matt said he could. Two hours later, Capt Selin saw Matt cleaning up at the dock. He asked Matt when he was going out to the island. Matt said he had not been out there before so he was waiting for high tide for his first trip out. Capt. Selin thought that was a good idea. Our two sons went down the Allagash their first time at the ages of six and eight. They could build a fire in the rain with one match. Both are UMO engineers today, one mechanical and one civil.

We have lost a generation or two, but we have some young people today who know they have poor role models. They are looking to people with our hair color and wondering how in the world we sent the men on Apollo to the moon when the space capsule had been designed with slide rules. They are incredulous when I tell them we kept track of where the decimal point was in our heads. The slide rule would not do that for us.
05-03-2016, 01:56 PM
I am with you guys, my son is his own boss. I did make him go to school after HS, but it was a Technical college in RI where he studied to be a marine mechanic. Imagine no such school in Maine! Anyhow today at a young age owns his boat, traps , truck etc. Works as engineer on the herring carrier Double Eagle and on others as needed. It takes a lot of self motivation to be your own boss, so there is hope.
05-04-2016, 06:48 AM
Just out of "curiousity" is this the "Double Eagle" that you mentioned?
[Image: doubleeagle_zpsjahtoypi.jpg]

If so she is an old friend from a ways back.

WC
05-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Looks like it, i believe it is owned by Glenn Lawrence. A fine old wooden vessel, that he has enjoyed working on. He makes 1-2 trips a season as fill in, but when something needs fixing, the phone rings and off he goes.
05-04-2016, 07:03 AM
She has been around the block a few times. I have a fair amount of history on these old boats. She was built in E Machias in 1929, by Charles Ingalls for the North Lubec Packing Co. In the early 70's she was laid up at Billings not being used as the Pauline was much bigger and was the main boat for the Lawrence factory at that time.

I used to go aboard now and then to tinker with things to keep her afloat, like making sure the bilge pump, and batteries were kept up. I always had a soft spot in my heart for her as she is a true classic.

Glad she is still being used and kept up. You son is lucky to be around her. I couldn't get enough of those boats as a kid and was sad to see the industry die as it meant so much to the coastal people!

WC