Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
geothermal power
03-14-2014, 12:26 PM
RE: geothermal power
So, Tanstaff, is it tidal you're after, or wave power?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2014, 06:23 PM
(03-14-2014 12:11 PM)Islander Wrote:  Here is a link to a company that specializes in tidal power, it will only be a mater of time until it gets down to a smaller version that is affordable, IMO

http://www.bluenergy.com/

That looks like a good one. Similar to the gorlov in Eastport.

One difference between that one and the gorlov in Eastport are the water guides, which are semi dams / semi barriers, where more water is being pushed through. The water is not going to go through the cement, but through the rotor. The gorlov in eastport has no cement guides / dams / barriers.

The environmentalists would look at that one and the gorlov and probably prefer the gorlov, because the fish can avoid the rotor easier, they can just go around.
03-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Works for me, hydro/tidal power has always seemed a no brainer, at least to me.
03-15-2014, 08:27 AM
I think the thing that would work best for me personally is wave power. I am a few hundred yards from the channel so I don't get a running tide. I also can't use some types of wave power as while the channel is 75 feet it slopes to shallow near me so I would need the surface type of wave power. Wind turbines would work as I almost always have breeze off the bay, but they are noisy. Now if global warming would only assure us of constant sunny weather rather than having to wait a minute - or two or three I could consider solar. I guess the other viable alternative for me is a wood gas generator.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
03-15-2014, 08:34 AM
I don't know much about wave power, but isn't it notoriously unreliable?
03-15-2014, 10:03 AM
It would be interesting to see how much tidal movement you would need, I am under the impression that not much is needed, at least on a small scale. How much of a rise and fall in water height do you have? If I were to go to wind, I would not look at a turbine with blades but more of vertical axis turbine. Good luck and keep us posted
03-15-2014, 10:14 AM
If this global warming keeps up and the rivers and oceans freeze over, then neither wave nor tidal power will work.

(There are reliable large scale wave power generators.)

(03-15-2014 08:34 AM)Three Pipe Problem Wrote:  I don't know much about wave power, but isn't it notoriously unreliable?

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
03-19-2014, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 07:04 AM by Ugene.)
I used to live on a hill where the lot had a 400 square foot pond on it.
I always thought that adding a second smaller pond as low as possible from the larger one and using low head hydro to generate electricity and a windmill water pump would work well.
Run the hydro continuously (or as much as possible) with the wind pumping the water back up to reuse.
There are many sites where this would work.

03-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Ugene, I like that idea, you could also get electricity from the windmill with some more ingenuity.
03-19-2014, 05:40 PM
It's really much easier to use the constant flow of water to make the power, and use the fickle wind to replenish the head.