Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wood smoke plan could make new stoves too costly
03-10-2014, 01:35 PM

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 6:31 am

PORTLAND (AP) — In the poorest state in New England, where residents already struggle to heat their homes, officials are worried a federal proposal to reduce wood smoke pollution will make new stoves too expensive and prevent Mainers from buying cleaner technology.

Nearly half of all Maine residents rely on some form of wood heat to keep warm in the winter, according to a 2008 study conducted for the Maine Center for Disease Control and the Maine Lung Association. The state ranks among the top five in the nation for residents heating only with wood, according to U.S. Census Bureau figures.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine/201...ly/1502503

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 02:11 PM
RE: Wood smoke plan could make new stoves too costly
We have welding equipment and the ability to build most anything out of steel. It is a very simple task to build a steel plate box stove, that would easily heat a home. Many of these have been built in this state.

We would build it to OUR design too.

WC
Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Some useful info here:

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/library.htm

Knowing you and your family as I do WC, I have no doubt that you could build a stove that would be more than adequate.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2014 05:59 AM by Ugene.)
One of the most polluting aspects of wood stoves is burning green wood.
What EPA is doing is making manufacturers build stoves that won't burn green wood.
They do this because they have no control over how long your wood dries.

It pays handsomely to burn dry wood, however.
A pound of water consumes 1200 BTUs of the energy in order to boil it off. That is directly deducted from the BTUs contained in the firewood.
To put that into perspective, a pound of wood at 20% moisture will provide 7000 BTUs (not taking into account the stove effeciency).
Or to look at it another way, for every two percentage points of fuel moisture content, burn efficiency decreases one percent.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
04-14-2014, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 09:17 PM by Mike G.)
I have a Dover and an old Winterport King that was certainly put together with a torch and arc-welder, those stoves and some chainsaws,trees and self, heat my home.

I remember when I and a friend hauled in the Winterport King some 30 plus years ago, the wife said that is the ugliest stove I've ever seen and being so ugly it has sat there ever since. The classic Dover went in the basement about 7 years later and to get rid, scrap that beauty would be grounds for something...

Don't tread on my Dover....