Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bees
02-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Bees
My wife and I have been thinking about having some bees, do any TMC's have any experience with bee keeping?
Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2014, 07:52 AM
RE: Bees
Islander are you by chance in either Midcoast or Southern coast of Maine?
02-17-2014, 08:25 AM
I suspect someone hre would know a thing or two.

[Image: www.abfnet.org]

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
02-17-2014, 08:41 AM
I keep plenty of bees... mostly under my soffits. Wink

By the way, are they a form of alternative energy?
02-17-2014, 09:37 AM
(02-17-2014 07:20 AM)Islander Wrote:  My wife and I have been thinking about having some bees, do any TMC's have any experience with bee keeping?
Thanks in advance

Islander, I've been keeping bees for five years now. It's a great hobby. While there are many books on the subject, I highly recommend attending a "bee school". Most counties have a bee club that conduct these schools in the evening. Usually once a week for 6-8 weeks. The schools cover equipment, acquiring bees, where to put your hives, medication, feeding when necessary, etc. Some of apiaries hold classes as well.
02-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info, yes we do live in the Mid-Coast, in Edgecomb. They are not really alternative energy per say but it seemed like a good place to start. I will check into the classes and see what happens.
We have a large field with plenty of clover, peach. apple trees, vegetable gardens, and are thinking bees would be a good addition.
02-17-2014, 11:02 AM
(02-17-2014 10:44 AM)Islander Wrote:  Thanks for the info, yes we do live in the Mid-Coast, in Edgecomb. They are not really alternative energy per say but it seemed like a good place to start. I will check into the classes and see what happens.
We have a large field with plenty of clover, peach. apple trees, vegetable gardens, and are thinking bees would be a good addition.

Sounds perfect! Similar to mine. You are in luck. There's a bee school starting in early March in Waldoboro. Here's the link.
http://www.klcbee.com/school.shtml
02-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks a lot Polguy, we will check it out
02-17-2014, 02:52 PM
My dad kept bees for a couple of years.
I have two Ball jars of clover honey that were made in 1954.
We have one at hunt camp which we warm up to dissolve the crystals and use a small portion almost every year as a sort of "tip o the hat" to the olde timers that came before us and gave us our guns.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
02-17-2014, 03:08 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea.

polguy can you just give a brief opinion on how expensive to get started, how much time is involved and how much space is needed?