Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recycling and Composting- Who What Where and How.
02-13-2014, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 09:03 AM by Ugene.)
Recycling and Composting- Who What Where and How.
I've been a lifelong recycler of all things. One of the saddest days of my life was when the town was forced to close the town dump. Quite often, I would come home with more than I left the house with.
This thread is about recycling and ways to do it.
I've been a composter since the nineties when I attended the world class commercial composting class at UMO. http://composting.org/ It is a weeklong course where people are taught how to identify materials, formulate recipes, promote the growth of biologicals to do the work, and market their final products.

Are there any other TMCers that have similar interests?

An interesting project for dealing deal with waste water;

Bio-Energy Box Coverts Beer Waste to Electricity

It seems this one is unique in that it uses bugs that actually make electricity rather than biogas.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/gree...ign=021214

A similar project was tried at a Hannaford store in the Manchester NH area a few years back, but it was a self contained composting stream inside a rolloff container that they simply hooked a water hose and sensors to. I never heard much more about that one.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2014, 09:57 AM
RE: Recycling and Composting- Who What Where and How.
All very interesting, we have not yet begun to compost but it is on the to do list. We have a good amount of chicken crap etc that I will have to shovel out of the coop in the spring, last year i just spread it on the field. This tear I would like to put it to good use.
04-27-2014, 07:00 AM
Slade has a black compost thing made out of plastic. The heat from the sun is supposed to break the house food scraps down, but it never works in the cold and turns into a frozen block. A fence compost is in the plans this year to actually use the natural break down for a year round compost.

Quote:"Then they will say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us!' And to the hills, ‘Cover us!' If men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Book of Luke
04-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Yup, getting ready to shovel out the chicken coop and spread it on the gardens and field, an excellent fertilizer. Next we will introducing green crabs to the mix, they have become a serious problem and are easy to catch. I have a freind who is a farmer and he will take all we catch to spread on his garden and to feed his pigs and chickens.
04-27-2014, 10:00 AM
We have compost piles all over, and have had for some time. We compost manure from our pig, cow, and horse pens and pastures, along with old rotten hay and other vegetable matter. This is a great thing for improving your land's growing potential.

I first read "living the Good Life"' by Helen and Scott Nearing, who lived quite close to where I grew up, many years ago. Unfortunately despite all the great ideas on composting and gardening, that was accompanied by a very left leaning political ideology, which turned me away.

I have been to the Common Ground fair, once. It was a great fair with all kinds of things that I was interested in for demos and exhibits. Unfortunately again, the radical left ideology was everywhere, and I cannot bring myself to go back.

It is too bad that people can't get together and talk about good ideas, while leaving politics out of it for the time being, but many can't seem to do that. Unfortunately a lot of good folks who might take to many of those ideas, will shun the radical politics and opportunity to teach/learn is lost.

WC
04-27-2014, 07:33 PM
I have nearly a thousand yards of compost that I've been adding to for about ten years with excess cow manure from a local dairy farm, culled potatoes, hay, straw, wood chips, and sawdust. Most of it has been hot composted by continuously rotating it for areation and adding water when needed
I just purchased a BIG Stoltzfus spreader to begin utilizing it on my potatoes. I'm planning on trying an experiment by removing the covering discs from the potato planter, leaving the seed exposed, spreading compost, and then using cultivators to cover them.
Should put the organic matter right where the plants can use it.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh