Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Solar furnace?
02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Solar furnace?
My wife saw an article on these and wants me to build one to heat the basement. Anyone have any experience with them or in building them?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 10:39 PM
RE: Solar furnace?
I was thinking of throwing together something like this.

Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFVkj2fSals
02-12-2014, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 07:21 PM by taxfoe.)
I was tinkering with THIS ONE but now some well funded 'experts' beat me to it.

Go to the home shows for inspiration. I went to one in Midland, TX, last week and there was a big emphasis on solar. Lots of cool stuff, especially DYI . . and DIY.
02-13-2014, 12:07 PM
A good book on the building various solar projects is DIY Solar Projects by Eric Smith
02-18-2014, 11:27 PM
We bought 2 of these, and the fresh air Canadian design works well - but it cost $2500 for an 8 x 12' model. Cansolar, I believe. The 3x6' wall unit that recycles air from inside the house does nothing noticeable, and cost $1800. It does have a solar powered fan as well, so it will work when the grid is down, but since it doesn't heat anything, it doesn't matter.

The fresh air model, very good for tight homes burning wood, s no longer available for sale to consumers :-( The idea in the youtube video above is very good, and does not require a fan. Put it under a window and vent the top pipe into the house - heaqt rises.

I talked to several businessmen in the energy business about building these units, and NO ONE is interested. Everybody seems to think oil will go on forever....