Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Ethanol Farce
05-12-2018, 12:30 PM
The Ethanol Farce
https://townhall.com/columnists/pauldrie...n-n2480006

What angers me are the legislative and regulatory mandates that force us to buy gasoline that is 10% ethanol – even though it gets lower mileage than 100% gasoline, brings none of the proclaimed benefits (environmental or otherwise), drives up food prices, and damages small engines. In fact, in most areas, it’s almost impossible to find E-zero gasoline, and that problem will get worse as mandates increase.

* As large shares of domestic corn and soy crops are now diverted from food use to fuel production, poultry, beef, pork and fish producers (and consumers) face volatile and increasing prices for animal feed.

* Ethanol wreaks havoc on the engines and fuel systems of boats, motorcycles and lawn equipment, as well as many automobiles, which are not capable or allowed to run on E15. Repair and replacement costs are a major issue for marine and small engine owners (as I personally discovered when I owned a boat).

* Consumers and taxpayers must pay increasing costs as biofuel mandates increase under the RFS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2018, 05:11 PM
RE: The Ethanol Farce
Some of the marinas in the Sebago-Long Lake area are bringing in Canadian non-ethanol. As you might expect, it is around a buck more a gallon, ($3.89) the first time this year, and likely more now 3 weeks later. While it may not be right, it still remains the thing to do with engines up to 40 or more HP-you'll simply get it back & more in the absence of repairs. Ditto chainsaws, mowers, snowmobiles, and about any small displacement engine. I have been told after mouthing off to one of the Augusta hammerheads that the feds are well-aware of it being totally senseless, but they "can't deprive the farmers". Something like the sugar subsidies obviously. Whoever said that programs, ESPECIALLY THE REALLY LOUSY ONES, NEVER DIE. Expecting anything from the likes of Collins and her ample proboscis and Agnes (last I heard the LEAST effective senator of the weird 100), is simply a waste of your lease on the planet.........
05-12-2018, 05:27 PM
We buy tru fuel for small engines, not cheap but comes premixed etc with a long shelf life.
05-12-2018, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2018 09:27 PM by cheech.)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc...gLmSPD_BwE

WOW!!!! Twenty three bucks a gallon for 4-cycle. Guess I'd better stop whining about another buck a gallon for Canadian stuff. It is however a pretty good showcase of the general usefulness of our body/corpse politic. The thought of kicking some of them over the transom wearing an engine block necklace, preferably one seized from using ethanol fuel, seems to become something of a practicality.
05-13-2018, 05:49 AM
Nope not cheap, I use about a gallon a year, it doesn't go bad. We have had no issues using the ethanol fuel in the outboard. My son is a mechanic so if there was an issue he would have said something by now. Then again the outboard is used on a regular basis, although a 3 gal tank lasts all year.
05-13-2018, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2018 06:18 AM by cheech.)
I have had some problems with outboards needing to have carbs cleaned and tend to fish and use outboards sporadically, 3 times a week sometimes and nothing for the next 2 weeks. The first of the ethanol fiasco I drained the carbs when I wasn't going out in the next day or so. Chain saws and the generator were also a real problem as I tend to use them for days at a time and not look at them again for months. The Canadian stuff seems to sit for a while without much problem, where ethanol gas gummed them up even when treated with the blue stuff. Guess it's time for me to just keep doing what I'm doing and stop bitching as I put the credit card into the machine........
05-13-2018, 06:35 AM
Yup, we switched to a propane generator because of the fuel issue.
05-13-2018, 06:50 AM
(05-13-2018 06:35 AM)Islander Wrote:  Yup, we switched to a propane generator because of the fuel issue.

If I end up needing another one that's definitely what I will buy. They haven't screwed up propane...........yet.
05-13-2018, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2018 02:32 PM by Ugene.)
It's easy enough to take ethanol out of gas.
Put four gallons of gas in a five gallon jug.
Add three quarts of water, shake and then let sit.
The water combines with the ethanol, and settles to the bottom.
Siphon the gas off the top, or siphon the water/ethanol off the bottom.
Add an octane booster to bring that level back up.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
05-14-2018, 05:42 AM
Here's some interesting figures on the production of corn in the USA....the largest corn producer on the planet!

....."The total production of corn in the US for the year 2013-2014 is reported to be 13.016 billion bushels, of which the major use is for manufacture of ethanol and its co-product (Distillers' Dried Grains with Solubles), accounting for 37% (27% + 10%), or 4,845 million bushels (3,552 + 1,293). The other uses are given in the table"........

The ethanol industry uses 37% of the corn in the USA, which includes production of ethanol and the by product of that operation, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, which is used as a supplemental animal feed, but not a stand alone product!

The second largest use of corn is the livestock industry at 33%!

Pretty easy to see why the cost of animal feed is skyrocketing when it has to compete against the ethanol industry which we taxpayers subsidize, heavily, and government MANDATES it's usage in motor fuels!

........"Originally sold as a way to achieve energy independence and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, ethanol has been a favorite of many lawmakers: ethanol producers have received favorable treatment under the tax code, tariff protection from foreign competition, and even a government mandate for its use.......Since its creation of the domestic market for corn ethanol after the energy crisis of the 1970s, the federal government has nurtured and maintained the ethanol industry with a steady stream of subsidies......As a result, taxpayers have spent billions of dollars over the last 30 years subsidizing the production of corn ethanol, while at the same time creating unintended costs for consumers and the environment".......

Will we live to regret the day we turned the usage of human and animal feed grains over to the production of motor fuels?

WC