Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The 410
02-01-2018, 07:13 PM
The 410
I bought a 4 tenner insert for a single shot 16 gauge recently for the expressed purpose of disposing the seemingly unlimited supply of red squirrels that Maine has.

Being somewhat close to a "route" using a 20 or larger seemed overkill for a damn squirrel, not to mention using a 22 lead bullet of whatever weight to shoot the obnoxious little rodents was irresponsible. But shooting a relative light load of 1/2 oz shot of 8's seemed reasonable.

Obviously by posting this I'm quite pleased at its ability to kill these tree rats with less danger to buildings, my own, and any surrounding fair.

I'm fairly impressed with the 410 in getting rid of rodents, I always considered 410s a silly round, that is not true, when 20 yards is the range.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2018, 07:23 PM
RE: The 410
410 is a nice little round that has been around for a very long time. Many of my generation had one of them for their first scattergun.

The round is also pretty good when used in a Taurus Judge revolver, especially with something heavier than #8 shot. One of them at "personal protection range" could be pretty harmful to Mr Perp. Not sure how hard it would be to carry one as I have never tried it. Got to be a lot lighter than my Ruger Alaskan in 454 though!

The Taurus Judge sidearm

WC
02-01-2018, 07:35 PM
I've been somewhat convinced that it would fine for close up woodcock or grouse, a 1/2 ounce of shot is nothing to sneeze at and not that off from the 3/4 quarter oz 20 gauge and 1 ounce skeet loads of a 12. I'm happy that I've gotten enlightened by the 410 for upland game.
02-02-2018, 06:04 AM
I have had a pump 410 for years, a nice gun and fun.
02-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Remember a guy at the local skeet club that was deadly with his 410 pump, never missed
02-02-2018, 07:14 AM
Back when I was a kid, we were coming out after a day of hunting and ran into a guy with one arm that was hunting woodcock with a 410.
Pretty interesting.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
02-02-2018, 08:57 AM
(02-02-2018 07:14 AM)Ugene Wrote:  Back when I was a kid, we were coming out after a day of hunting and ran into a guy with one arm that was hunting woodcock with a 410.
Pretty interesting.

Not really, Ugene who.
02-04-2018, 05:16 AM
Some people have an indomitable ability to overcome the challenges they are dealt, others not so much. Certainly using a lighter shotgun would help when hunting in thick brush and one arm.

Brings to mind, a guy I knew that lost his arm to the elbow in a piece of farming machinery when he was a teen, he did not let his handicap stop him from hunting or seemingly anything else in his life.
02-04-2018, 09:58 AM
This guy didn't even have anything on the right side to rest the gun on.
He was picking those birds off with one arm only.
The only help he had was someone holding the ammo for him.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
02-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Not even an armpit, hopefully he was left eye dominant but probably not.