Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VW Golf TDI
01-15-2018, 11:39 AM
VW Golf TDI
Can anyone recommend a good VW mechanic, in the midcoast area? My son just bought a 2002 Golf TDI, it was recommended that he change the timing belt and he is also looking for a source for repair manuals etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2018, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 03:20 PM by Ugene.)
RE: VW Golf TDI
I have three 2003 TDIs that I keep on the road with the help from this site:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/
I've saved thousands on repairs by owning VCDS, the scan tool made specifically for VWs made by Ross-Tech.
https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/
Run a scan, get the fault code, go online to the TDI Club, search for fault code number, and if that doesn't help, usually in less than fifteen minutes someone will be able to help.

"Abbacus" here on TMC used to do some of that work. and he's good at it.
As I recall, he's somewhere in the Rockland/Belfast/Waldoboro area, maybe further south.
There is also another guy in Richmond that specializes in VWs and especially TDIs:

Wit's End Motors
1061 Alexander Reed Rd, Richmond ME 04357
He goes by "Herm TDI" on the TDI club site

Tell him NOT to take this car to a dealership, as they are usually very poorly equipped to work on diesels and they will just throw his money at it hoping to make it work.

I've got an 03 wagon with 320,000 miles on it with very little done to it.
I had an electrical fault that wouldn't let the security system work properly, so I pulled the ECM and sent it to Malone Tuning in Vancouver BC to have that feature deleted and at the same time, I had them put in a stage one tune which boosted the HP by 35 HP (35%).
Sure made a difference towing a trailer as I do most of the time.
Improved fuel mileage a bit as well.
These tunings can be done at Wits End, but because of the ownership issue, the security delete had to go directly to Malone.
I hope it's a manual transmission, because the Auto is traditionally only about a hundred thousand mile item when coupled to the TDI.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-15-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: VW Golf TDI
Wow, thanks. He is a diesel mechanic, mostly boats. He would do it himself if he had a place indoors. I did send Abacus a pm over at AMG, but I am not sure if he is still posting. I think he lives in the Damariscotta area. I will pass on all the info, the car only has 178000 miles, he is the third owner.