Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where are the funds for Maine Care expansion?
11-08-2017, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 04:21 PM by spider.)
Where are the funds for Maine Care expansion?
[font=Arial][size=medium]
First there was some information for the voters. The voters disregarded the warnings and decided to head into massive debt. The last time Angus King expanded Maine care the debt load was in excess of $700 Million dollars.

Maine can learn from Ohio’s Medicaid expansion mistake
By
William P. Coley II
November 7, 2017

States that have expanded ObamaCare have enrolled more than twice as many adults as expected—and are now dealing with the repercussions. I’m from one of those states, Ohio. At the time of the expansion, the Kasich administration in my home state promised that the program would not exceed 447,000 able-bodied adults and I was told that I was being overly pessimistic when I said that the enrollment would be 650,000. Well, I was wrong enrollment surpassed 725,000 by June of this year—with no signs of slowing. By the end of this year, the program is estimated to be $8 billion over budget. Things are so bad our legislature voted to freeze the expansion in its tracks to try and restore some sanity.

And unfortunately, Ohio isn’t an outlier—every state that has expanded ObamaCare has exceeded expected enrollment and has shattered cost projections as a result. In New York, enrollment has exceeded expectations by a staggering 267 percent, while another New England state, Rhode Island, saw enrollment surpass expectations by 49 percent.
And as enrollment of able-bodied adults in our state continues to rise, so does the resulting fiscal crisis, eating away at state funds necessary for other critical purposes. In Ohio, Gov. Kasich has proposed slashing payments to pediatric hospitals and changing eligibility levels for pregnant women in order to compensate for the unsustainable costs of ObamaCare expansion of Medicaid.
Why would Maine want to make this same mistake again?

But it doesn’t have to be the case in Maine. You can learn from Ohio, and your own history, and make the best choice for Maine’s future.

Around the country in the last decade, Medicaid has grown by 71 percent, making it the single most expensive line item in states’ budgets. According to state officials, if Maine were to expand ObamaCare, it would cost somewhere near $100 million—each budget year. To expand ObamaCare would be a grave mistake, one that would siphon resources away from education, infrastructure, public safety, and the truly needy.

Now there is more information for the voters. The funding source will be decided upon by the elected representatives....not the executive branch....the legislative branch. Game on.

Governor LePage Issues Statement on Medicaid Expansion

For Immediate Release: Wednesday, November 8, 2017

AUGUSTA – Governor Paul R. LePage has issued a statement in response to Mainers approving a referendum that will cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars to give “free” health care to working-age, able-bodied adults, most of whom do not have dependents.

“The last time Maine experimented with Medicaid expansion in 2002 under then-governor Angus King, it created a $750 million debt to hospitals, resulted in massive budget shortfalls every year, did not reduce emergency room use, did not reduce the number of uninsured Mainers and took resources away from our most vulnerable residents—the elderly and the intellectually and physically disabled,” said Governor LePage.

“Credit agencies are predicting that this fiscally irresponsible Medicaid expansion will be ruinous to Maine’s budget. Therefore, my administration will not implement Medicaid expansion until it has been fully funded by the Legislature at the levels DHHS has calculated, and I will not support increasing taxes on Maine families, raiding the rainy day fund or reducing services to our elderly or disabled.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2017, 06:51 PM
RE: Where are the funds for Maine Care expansion?
Well let's see what the legislature will pull out of its hat, should be interesting. Listening to the ad, it seemed they were more interested in the new govt funded jobs (6000) creating voters dependent on keeping the money flow than helping the truly needy.
11-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Grand Duke Alexis deToqueville visited America and wrote about it's new government in 1835.

....."A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship"......

You just witnessed "voting largesse for themselves from the public treasury"!

In the original Obamacare legislation the money to expand the state medicaid programs for a few years (3 maybe)was coming from "uncle sugar", then, using the old "bait and switch", popular with political assholes, the entire cost of this expansion was going to be placed ENTIRELY upon the working people of Maine forever afterwards!

We just gave ourselves a GIANT tax hike!

WC
11-09-2017, 05:06 AM
Don't blame me, I along with my family voted NO. Mob rule is a bad thing
11-09-2017, 08:52 AM
I don't believe that anyone on this forum voted for the expansion. So how did it pass?
11-09-2017, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 09:41 AM by Auntie Republicrat.)
...i sense the smarter people are getting really really sick and tired of listening to a bunch of goddamned republican fool politicians who get 'free/heavily $ub$idized healthcare from the government' telling others that 'government provided healthcare is wrong/immoral' and they are 'against government healthcare'..stfu, republican politicians...[man, wouldn't i like to ask that pinhead poliqueen where he gets his healthcare in front of a large audience..[another reason scumbag republicrats don't hold honest town halls Wink]

...this is another issue involving illions of 'dollars' being discussed by a bunch of goddamned republicrat-radio/teevee-level 'thinkers' Rolleyes who are worse than clueless as to the HIDEOUS, destructive, origin and nature of even one stinking 'dollar'...word...

...if blowhard lepage and his dumbass republican radio cheerleaders knew anything truly important, they would be furious at the unknown illion$ the banksters get from the government bonds, etc., they get for free using the legalized counterfeiting $cheme of 'fractional reserve deposit creation'...but they don't know anything truly important and/or if they do, they are too scared to speak up...

...and of course it's a lot safer for these stoooooooooopid republicrat puppet chickensh!ts to go after poor people than the goddamned bankster$.. Wink

..btw, i didn't vote, but if i had, i might have written, 'F@CK YOU' [again] on their stinking ballot...

...ah...that felt good!...thank you, tmc!...
11-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Spider asked where the money was coming from...check your wallet.

The dumbest vote ever cast by Mainers was to approve the "People's Referendum". A combination of an ill-informed voter (as planned), deep pocketed promoters, and laws presented in a single sentence, has given us a tyranny of the majority. Exactly what the founders designed our republic to avoid.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
11-09-2017, 12:30 PM
"...has given us a tyranny of the majority"

Much better to have a tyranny of the minority, eh?
11-09-2017, 12:41 PM
I once had a neighbor, a real nice women that brought me peanut butter balls every Christmas. She was always complaining about how high her property taxes were. I watched her at town meeting always voting to increase spending on every single item. At first I thought she didn't realize that she was increasing her own taxes, but then I figured out she thought she was spending someone else's money.

Unfortunately, I think most people are greedy willing to take someone else's money and to use Auntie's favorite term "monetary ignoramuses". Our only defense is to stop paying taxes.
11-09-2017, 12:43 PM
I thought all spending measures had to originate in the legislature not in a referendum.