Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Free Speech vs Maine's Award Winning Local News Paper
06-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Free Speech vs Maine's Award Winning Local News Paper
There was once a comment thread on this article between myself and one other in which I made the point that what the Joint Economic Community Development Councils is doing Chamber of Commerce work on the local property owners dime. That conversation has been removed from the Boothbay Register but can still be found on DIsqus

The essential point I make in the conversation is that the projects that the JEDC is doing at the local tax payers expense is is marketing and not economic development. The Chamber of Commerce is voluntarily paid for by local businesses, who see it in their own interest to fund the Chamber's work, That is as it should be- those that directly benefit are the ones that pay. The marketing projects, which are the only projects that we hear about from the JEDC ,consisting of a Festival of Lights at Christmas time and a wayfaring project, primarily benefit Boothbay Harbor but the JEDC wants all the surrounding communities, which see no direct benefit, to pony up money for their projects,

A while back I wrote a letter to the editor commenting on how difficult it is to find information about the JEDC including the names of those on the council, Oddly an article by the JEDC was published in the online Boothbay Register the same day my letter was published. The article called for community help in a wayfaring project to teach visiting tourists how to use their ipods to find addresses. With the comments to this article being deleted, obviously by the Register, one has to wonder about the previous co-incidence in timing and an online press release by the JEDC published the same day.. Is there collusion between the Boothbay Register and the secret organization known only as the Joint Economic Community Development Council? This would be consistent with what appears to be collusion at the state level with the government by public-private interests and the one sided manner in which that is presented in the Maine media which I write about in my book Public Private Relationships and the New Owners of the Means of Production,

When only one point of view is allowed expression- it is called propaganda. I did not formerly realize how long the arm of local propaganda is.This is all the more reason to get other voices heard.

As personal background to this story, I had approached the JECD about advice concerning the Andersen Design Museum of American Designer Craftsmen, for which we are fiscally sponsored by Fractured Atlas. Although museums are known to be economic development assets, I was told that the JECD cannot help individual businesses and there was no response to the economic development sales pitch I presented in relationship to the museum. If we get the museum going it will be in a community where we find community support for it. When I researched Boothbay's competition, most have economic development websites which list the names of the persons actively involved and reach out to individual businesses. The JECD is the only economic development council, which I have ever come across which does not exist to help individual businesses- or so it says. Part of me thinks the Festival of Lights and wayfaring project is just a smoke screen for what ever it is the JECD is really up to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2017, 02:11 PM
RE: Free Speech vs Maine's Award Winning Local News Paper
The peninsula is being run by one man with a lot of money, if you want some you will have to kiss the ring. And the register will not print anything negative if it concerns their benefactor, at least that has been my experience as of late. But it is frustrating to say the least. Just keep digging and follow the money
Find all posts by this user
06-24-2017, 10:00 PM
What you write has nothing to do with what I wrote, which is about the Joint Economic Development Council for Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor. The Register publishes criticism of Coulombe frequently.

The committee has nothing to do with Coulombe and in fact might be his opposition camp but between the two, I'll take Coulombe because at least he is free enterprise. Kristina Ford is on the committee.I went to a meet and greet for her when she was running for office which was filled with Coulombe opposition. She ran on creating year round jobs.

The Joint Economic Development Committee operates in secrecy. They do not have a website and it is impossible to find a complete list of members.I was trying to locate them a while back. They could not be found on the Town Office website or the Chamber of Commerce. I found them by chance on Lincoln County Economic Development because they were advertising for a consultant to help them develop a master plan for our community- which they did not advertise for within out community.

The only reason they are in the newspaper is because they are trying to get money to pay for their agenda. They are complaining that Southport and Edgecomb will not kick in to pay for their services. The only services they tell us about is that they organized the Festival of Lights and a wayfaring project-Chamber of Commerce work- not economic development and primarily benefiting Boothbay Harbor - not something that surrounding communities should finance.

I have suspected that is just a smokescreen for some other plan. The article gives us a clue. The Joint Economic Development Council wants to hire three consultants but only one has a direct relationship to economic development. The other two are and architect and landscaping consultant and an engineering consultant so obviously they are planning on building something which will cost the tax payers much more than mere consulting fees. As pure speculation, I am guessing something like the tech places they have at MRRA- which are required to be associated with the university system where in the University of Maine has rights to ownership of intellectual property in place. In the text of those rights it claims that it applies even to uncompensated persons if the University arbitrarily decides that that person has used the facilities more than incidentally. The tech places invite startups to use the facilities for a fee and management is central like a commune. It is the ownership of intellectual property rights, hidden and never spoken about, which is most disturbing. Very Communist.

Since I have done state wide research on many communities exploited under the "economic development" rubric, I am very distrustful about the secrecy under which the JECD operates. There have been many attempts at regionalism in this state which usually ends up being a case of taxation without representation for many communities as money is poured into one benefactor community. It is never fair- always serving special interests at great cost to others. The town becomes a development corporation and property taxes are used to finance it. The worst is the Kennebeck Region Development Authority. The Maine Legislature literally made a region of municipalities into a development corporation, making the towns responsible for the corporation's debt and even if the towns leave the corporation, they are responsible for the debt until the corporation is debt free for one year, which, of course , never happens- Why would it? It is other people's money that the development corporation spends and other people' s debt that it creates.

I think the Boothbay Region is now a target.This is not free enterprise. It is government capitalism. I hope this region has the sense not to become its next victim. This system has done nothing but make the rich richer and the poor poorer for the last forty years.

If the secret society does have something like tech places in mind, why do they have to hire architects landscapers and engineers? Why not do what a frugal free enterprise start up would do- find an already existing space to rent. Why?Because they are spending other people' money? Why should they be frugal? Live it up on the public's dime!

At least Coulombe is using his own dime!
06-25-2017, 08:12 AM
If you say so, and he does not use his own money unless he has to, see the roundabout for an example.
06-25-2017, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2017 08:52 AM by Mackenzie Andersen.)
When I try to find out about the going on with the Joint Economic Development Council of Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor these words from
Peggy Cosgrove come to mind:"

Don't expect to be popular or thanked. Economic development is as much political change as it is economic change. It will be vigorously resisted by the standing political system even though they stand to gain economically. The shifts are perceived as threats to the old power structure, and probably are
UNQUOTE

The last sentence in that statement couldn't be more true. Peggy Cosgrove prepared the report for the New London Development Corporation, which was involved in the Kelo vs New London Supreme Court of the USA. Unfortunately the US Supreme Court Ruled in the development corporation's favor saying that if a private developer promises to deliver 1000 jobs, the developer can use the government authority of eminent domain to do away with private property rights which stand in the way of the development. This is called fascism- and it was praised as "100 % correct" by Donald Trump for obvious self-serving reasons.

If my speculation is correct and the secret society en-charged with implementing a master plan over Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor (NOT Southport and Edgecomb) is using the MRRA as their model to use property taxes to finance a town (public) development corporation, next they will be promoting that we should take state dollars in support of it and merge with the MRRA program which is merged with the University of Maine where the claim intellectual property rights based on use of the facilities is in place. You betcha that changes our political system. The secret society is already saying they will use tif financing- which means borrowing on future projected profits- which implies private ownership since the town does nopt charge property taxes for its self.That means that when the JECD tild me that they could do nothing to help individual businesses they were not telling the truth.

The MRRA may look good from a distance but its annual report reveals that the state grant almost covers the interest on MRRA's debt- that is called inflation and inflation is a big factor in the decline of the middle class since the Longely Doctrine was enacted.

The MRRA is chartered by the Maine Legislature as a municipality serving as an instrument of the state. Will the Boothbay REgion soon be the same as many envy the state and federal tax payer dollars pumping up MRRA's local economy?

Meanwhile the Washington County Development Authority, the the state's poorest county, was the first municipality to be chartered as an instrument of the state. Read its annual report! The Legislature awards the WCDA an annual budget of zero dollars a year !

Is it any wonder that since the Longely Doctrine was implemented over our Maine Constitution that the rich have been getting richer and the poor poorer? The doctrine was written by the heads of Maine's largest businesses by and for themselves.

The article in the Boothbay Register is vague on essential details. It would be appropriate for the Register, The JECD, and the town to identify the bond source of the 76000.00 the JECD is receiving from the property owners of Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor.

The authorization for municipalities to use public funds for economic development comes from the Home Rule Amendment:

Maine Constitution
Municipal Home Rule

Section 2. Construction of buildings for industrial use. For the purposes of fostering, encouraging and assisting the physical location, settlement and resettlement of industrial and manufacturing enterprises within the physical boundaries of any municipality, the registered voters of that municipality may, by majority vote, authorize the issuance of notes or bonds in the name of the municipality for the purpose of purchasing land and interests therein or constructing buildings for industrial use, to be leased or sold by the municipality to any responsible industrial firm or corporation.
UNQUOTE

Does payment of a consultant form for such purposes fall under the governance of Section 2, needing approval by a public referendum"

The second of two goals established by Longely's board was:

2: eliminate the requirement for a local referendum on municipal bond issues.
UNQUOTE

The above is a direct quote from Governor’s Task Force for Economic Redevelopment-1976, which anyone can request from the Maine Legislature.
Send this user a private message Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Edit this post Delete this post Quote this message in a reply Quote this post Report this post to a moderator
06-29-2017, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2017 07:38 AM by Auntie Republicrat.)
...most of the problems i see with 'government' are greatly exacerbated by having a lot of goddamned fools/phonies/puppets/etc. holding public office...'government' is nothing more or less than the people who make it up...and we have been inundated with republicrats for eons...ugh...

...sadly, in reality, mackenzie's problem amounts to a leaf/toothpick on the tree of evil...

...sadly, i sense mackenzie is clueless as to the root$...[and so is mac's republican champion, marco-puppet rubio and all the rest..] Wink

...as one maine-loving wag put it, "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root."

...as another maine-loving wag puts it, 'republicrats are clueless as to the hideous origin, nature, etc., of even one 'dollar'...when their holes are open about illion$, prepare yourself for some mindless sh!t'...ugh...

...ah, that felt good...thank-you, tmc!..i always leave with a smile....Wink