Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Black Bears
06-23-2017, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2017 06:05 AM by John Smith.)
Black Bears
I have been hunting in Maine for 47 years. I hunt a lot. Mostly small game, birds, deer and moose. I have never hunted bear and until this morning, I had never seen a bear in the Maine woods. This morning while scouting moose in Washington County, I encountered two large bears from two different areas in one hour's time. The first bear was running towards me as I walked in his direction on an old overgrown and long abandoned woods road. We did not see each other because of vegetation until he ran out of the alders just 5 yards in front of me. We were both startled and he ran off immediately. I continued on my way and returned in about 15 minutes and never saw him again.

About 1 hour later, I was walking into another area miles away and heard some low growling sounds that I didn't know what it was, but assumed it could be a bear. I heard these sounds off and on as I walked in about 3/4 mile. As I started to return I saw this big bear staring at me at about 15 to 20 feet. He was a little more ragged looking than the 1st bear and seems to be sniffing and squinting at me. We stood there looking at each other for what seemed like an uncomfortable long time. After a while, he started to circle me in the cover and I decided to move along out of his way. When I looked back, he had walked to where I had previously been standing and was sniffing for something. I returned to my vehicle and never saw him again.

Previously I had never seen a bear in the Maine woods, but now I have seen two in one hour. It seems to me that it makes more sense to hunt bear this time of year instead of the fall as I understand that black bear mate late spring, but I am not a bear hunter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2017, 04:20 PM
RE: Black Bears
Washington county is full of back bears. We lived in Beddington for seven years and saw them on our property dozens of times. We used to ride backroads all the time and knew where every blackberry patch was in 100 sq miles I think. But the bears knew where they were too!

We had to be willing to share, or at least get there first. We went picking one afternoon and picked about 20 quarts. We had to go home as we ran out of dishes to pick into. Went back the next day and it was stripped.

A Ruger 44 magnum was our companion on these trips! I knew several guides who did bear hunts. They had bait sites all over the place that they maintained. The bears would visit these late in the day, so often the bear was killed not too long before dark. If the bear was wounded it had to be tracked and found. Most of the guides carried a Super Redhawk as they preferred the double action. All hands said that chasing a wounded bear, after dark, was NOT for the faint of heart. All hands also said they never wanted to confront one 20 ft away to find out how well that 44 mag actually worked.

They are usually shy of people but that is NO guarantee either. Many of them pick up food from all sorts of places, where people live. They will get into your garbage cans in an instant and will come back again and again so they get acclimated to humans somewhat which makes it even more dangerous.

WC
06-24-2017, 05:10 PM
I remember doing some Mt biking in the Locke Mills area when I came upon a moose coming up the trail that I was going down. Luckily he was more spooked than me and detoured off the tote rd.
06-24-2017, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2017 07:45 PM by John Smith.)
(06-24-2017 04:20 PM)woodcanoe Wrote:  Washington county is full of back bears. We lived in Beddington for seven years and saw them on our property dozens of times.

They are usually shy of people but that is NO guarantee either.

WC

I was in the heavily wooded and wet part of northern Washington County. There isn't much visibility. I scout for moose in the most remote areas that I can get to with my lifted Wrangler, then I walk in as much as a mile. Not many people live in that township so I don't think these bears had seen too many people. It seemed to me that they were checking out what I was. I liked the reaction of the first bear who ran off lickety split. The 2nd bear concerned me some as he didn't have any fear and had apparently been following me in. I am sure that any other time of the year I never would have seen them. There is one spot that I drive on a woods road for 7 miles then walk in a half mile where I have gotten pictures of a giant bear for two years in a row. I am going to show this spot to a friend that hunts bears. He was impressed with the pictures.

On these outings, I try to carry everything I need to spend a few days in the woods if I need to. Navigational tools are a must because even though I know my way in, something could cause me to have to return by a different route. By the way, the hammer was cocked and aim was taken with a very large caliber revolver on that second bear. Fortunately, he didn't move towards me from our 15 to 20 foot standoff and all ended well.
06-25-2017, 07:04 AM
In coastal Washington county, around Millbridge and Cherrfield and so on, there are "nuisance" bears. These are bears that have gotten used to being around humans and raiding garbage cans, storage sheds, bee hives and so on. The blueberry guys put electric cattle fence, about 6 strands, around their hives because of it.

So....there are guys who "trap" these nuisance bears. They have a trailer with a round steel container on it, something like big culvert, with a sliding gate at the back. Bear goes in for bait, hits the pedal and gate comes down, and Mr bear gets a nice little ride to someplace else.

My wife was up the 30,000 road one afternoon, north of Rt 9, working a favorite fishing hole in the Narraguagus river. Of course this is about a full wilderness as you can get, not many folks around. A guy comes by with one of these bears and about 5 minutes later he comes back......without the bear! The wife knew he had just let a bear out in the vicinity she was in herself. Most of these bears are relatively harmless but once in a while there can be a bad one and you don't know from looking. So she decided that she had fished enough for that day.

That is great country for moose also. We got one near Eagle and Deer lake back in 2007. Tons of people hunt for moose in that country!

WC
06-26-2017, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2017 04:27 AM by Mike G.)
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/...-saturday/

The Pogo Mine and Bird Ridge maulings both appear to have been predatory attacks by black bears, Marsh said, which are "extremely troubling and very, very rare." Biologists are still trying to understand the circumstances of those attacks, which happened within 48 hours of each other.

From today's drudge, initial link is about a brown attack but lower in article is links to black bear attacks in alaska