Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cycling - For Fun, Health and Transportation
06-03-2017, 02:14 PM
RE: Cycling - For Fun, Health and Transportation
Ok, so I have been riding my Redline 29er Monocog for about a week. It's been fun, but I have been having trouble with the hills and some of the off road stuff. I naturally assumed it was because I am in my 60's and haven't road a bike in about 45 years. I am in pretty good shape from mountain hiking, but the hills have been kicking my butt so I looked at the gearing on my used bike. The stock gearing for this bike is listed as a 32T chain ring with a 20T rear cog. My bike was modified from stock and has a 44T chain ring with a 20T rear cog. It is embarrassing that I assumed it was stock and didn't check that out. Anyway, life is a lesson and I need to change the gearing for hilly off road use. Can someone recommend a site where I can order chain rings and rear cogs? Also, when ordering how do I know if the parts will fit my bike?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Performance bike, Bike Nashbar are a couple of online suppliers or try a local bike shop if you are near one. Glad to hear you are having fun.
06-12-2017, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 08:07 PM by John Smith.)
(06-03-2017 02:19 PM)Islander Wrote:  Performance bike, Bike Nashbar are a couple of online suppliers or try a local bike shop if you are near one. Glad to hear you are having fun.

Thanks! I ordered a 32T chain ring and a 22T rear cog. I can't wait to try it. Meanwhile, I've been riding a 21 speed Giant road bike 7 miles a day this past week. Every day I get faster, currently I have been averaging 14mph. I plan on bumping the mileage up each week. Some of my neighbors just shake their heads as I ride by, but I am finally starting to burn off some of last winter's fat.
06-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Enjoy,
06-16-2017, 05:22 PM
(06-12-2017 06:22 PM)Islander Wrote:  Enjoy,

As if the untied dogs aren't trouble enough.

Texas man shoots cyclist from car to 'blow off steam,' police say

"The victim, identified as Alonso Solis-Mata, was transported to the hospital where doctors found pellets from the shotgun blast inside his brain stem."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/16/tex...e-say.html

Man Attacked While Riding Bike In Brooklyn Is In A Coma

"A married father of two is in a coma after he was punched in the face while riding his bike in Brooklyn earlier this month, police said.

Surveillance video obtained exclusively by CBS2 shows what looks to be an unprovoked, random attack on 38-year-old Domingo Tapia in Bedford-Stuyvesant."
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/06/16/b...r-punched/
06-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Dogs are the worst, riding in the bed if a pickup they are at head level. Had one come at me while it's owner looked on knocked me off the bike but no blood. Glad you are enjoying it