Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cycling - For Fun, Health and Transportation
05-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Cycling - For Fun, Health and Transportation
I have been recently diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/pl...-overview.
It is very painful so I had to quit hiking and running up mountains, but I still need to get a cardio workout every other day. I thought I would try cycling to see if could get the cardio without making my heel worse.

I haven't cycled for a long time so when I started some research, I couldn't believe the complexity of options available now. Additionally, there are a great quantity of used bikes on the market if you want to limit your investment while trying to see if you are going to like and use your bike. Most serious cyclists I know have many bikes and have strong opinions on what bikes to have. They are head over tail in love with the sport and see no reason not to spend big money on a bike. I am not so sure and don't have that kind of money so I wanted to start slow, but at the same time not buy a bike that I was going to hate.

I intend to use this bike for two things only; exercise and woods road transportation. I never intend to compete or climb mountains, but the woods roads I will use it on will be rough, brushy and often wet. I need simplicity, reliability and I don't need speed. Those bikes with the big fat tires look interesting, but I couldn't find a used one for sale. I decided on a single speed mountain bike with 29" tires and purchased a used Redline 29er MonoCog in good working condition for under $300 this morning. I am going to try it out today and will let you know what I think.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2017, 02:06 PM
RE: Cycling - For Fun, Health and Transportation
Have biked many miles a few of things I would recommend are, helmet, gloves, and bike shorts and bug spray! Enjoy
05-27-2017, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 06:57 AM by John Smith.)
(05-27-2017 02:06 PM)Islander Wrote:  Have biked many miles a few of things I would recommend are, helmet, gloves, and bike shorts and bug spray! Enjoy
Thanks for the suggestions. I had to put air in the tires and discovered that the air valves were different than what I was used to. http://www.mywheelsandmore.com/bicycles/...esStem.htm
My bike has Presta valves whereas all my farm equipment has Schreader valves. Not a big deal, but it held me up a couple of hours while I headed to town to buy an air pump that covers both styles of valve. I did a little riding this evening and was impressed that I still could ride after 45 or so years. I guess the old adage is true. It felt like the gearing was a little high for my novice condition, but I will give it some time before I try reducing the ratio at least for a temporary basis while I get in biking shape. I look forward to tomorrow.
05-28-2017, 04:56 AM
Have fun, I did. I jus do not have the time to ride like I used to.
05-28-2017, 07:07 AM
(05-28-2017 04:56 AM)Islander Wrote:  Have fun, I did. I jus do not have the time to ride like I used to.

When I realized that there isn't that much time left I bumped fitness and health up to number one on the priority list. You do have to work harder at it when you are older, but the alternative is a shorter less healthy life. Besides my family still needs me contributing and not a burden. Heck, we old timers better stay healthy and shoot straight. Most of the younger generation won't be much help in an emergency.
05-28-2017, 07:28 AM
I get a pretty good workout dragging traps, bait, rope, buoys up and down ramps etc. But I hear you, just a matter of mind over matter
05-28-2017, 08:25 AM
........"When I realized that there isn't that much time left I bumped fitness and health up to number one on the priority list"......

My family had a bad history of cardiac issues on both sides. One grandfather died at 49,the other early 50's. My dad suffered a major heart attack at 55 so I knew what I had in me, and I knew what likely was coming.

In the early 2000's we sold some property and the investment allowed us some financial flexibility for the first time in our lives. So I decided to be a "retired gentleman" doing only what I wanted to do. This after a lifetime of physical labor,mostly outdoors. And the inevitable ensued.

By 2006 I was in the heart cath lab at EMMC in Bangor. I was in there three times between then and March 2009. I have six stainless steel "stents" in my coronary arteries, and those have given me a great gift. On my last day in the hospital in March 2009 I received my "Eureka" moment.

My cardiologist, Dr Rowe, came in and sat on my bed to talk to me. He said that I had lived a better life than my father in that I got lots of physical activity in my work, compared to my dad who was an administrator with a high stress job. He said that the heart muscles are like any other muscle groups in the body, if you don't USE them you will LOSE them. "Use it or lose it" was his dictum. Boy did that hit me where it mattered.

Ever since that day I have taken his advice and it has worked well for me. I can shovel dirt, handle wood, shovel manure, do haying mostly by myself,including handling it and whatever needs doing. I am just finishing shingling a nice old two story Victorian home with 4000 ft of asphalt on the roof. It is nearly 40 ft to the top of the roof and I have done that all alone. People see me up on that staging and can't believe at 70 that I am still doing it. I can't dance on the staging as I did at age 30 but I can still do the work by god, and feel good for it.

I applaud anyone who wants to put physical endeavours in his/her life. Sitting on a couch watching TV, while filling oneself full of chips, beer and soda, is the route to an early grave. The human body was meant to do physical labor and is NOT happy sitting down on a long term basis!

Enjoy the bike, it's the best thing you could do for yourself!

WC
05-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Ok so I been riding the bike back and forth from the house to the barn (1/4 m one way) over the past two days and this morning I went for a much longer ride down a woods road and back. I am really psyched about it for several reasons. It is a good workout with the hills involved, I am relearning technique pretty quickly and it is not causing any problems for my Plantar Fasciitis. It may even be therapeutic! The bike handled the rough road and washouts well and the brakes work very good on keeping things from getting out of control on the slippery downhills. I intend to keep using it going to and from the barn which I do many times a day and will keep pushing a major ride every other day. All good thus far.
05-28-2017, 12:29 PM
And when it gets icy just get some studded bike tires, I commuted to work year-round for years.
05-29-2017, 06:15 AM
Lost your license from a DUI, huh, Highlander?