World's Greatest Sniper
Interesting information on Simo Häyhä "The White Death"

The White Death - World's Greatest Sniper
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/simohayha.asp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 11:01 PM
RE: World's Greatest Sniper
Great article, the best I have read of him, and an outstanding soldier who did much for his country, under some very trying circumstances!

The Russians heavily outnumbered the Finns during that war but the Finns fought them to a draw eventually. The Finns donned white coveralls and took to their skis and moved through the woods to get behind the Russians then proceeded to cut them up,with the help of this very brave soul.....and those wonderful Suomi SMG's!

I happen to be one of the greatest fans of the Mosin Nagant rifle that there is in these parts, and have been in love with them for over 50 years! That 7.62x54R is a magnificent cartridge that has been in military service for over 120 years....and still is in some Russian machine guns I believe. During the era of the bolt action military rifles, the Nagant had the highest muzzle velocity of them all, 2700fps or so, easily topping the 30-06, .303 and all the others. In addition the rifle is indeed a true tack driver, even with open sights as it was used by this gentleman! I am sort of surprised that he did not use the model 91-30 as it has a much longer barrel and thus more velocity and more accuracy! But I guess he used what was available in his country at the time of need.

My sons and I have several of these rifles. I have a custom one that I built from a model 91-30. I cut the barrel down about 5 inches, removed the fixed sights and found a second hand Bishop stock, with cheek piece, on a junker at a gun show that I got for 50 bucks. Much work sanding and about 20 coats of linseed oil later I had a finished product. I put a Bushnell 3-9 scope on it and it can take out the ace of spades at 100 yds if you can hold it steady enough. My son can shoot it better than I can now as youth has it's perks.

I got a moose permit in 2007. My second youngest son was 14 at the time and was the sub permittee. We spotted a thousand pound bull about 10:30 Monday morning.
I almost hate to admit it but I missed him, from about 200 yds, with my Walmart Savage 30-06. The moose took off running sideways to us. I hollered at my boy, who was behind me, to shoot. The animal was moving at a pretty good lope and he took that custom Mosin Nagant of mine, and drilled him right in the front shoulder, with the first shot, from about 225 yds and he went right down on the spot. I don't think there is any doubt in my mind but that that was about the finest shot I have ever seen anyone make,in all my hunting years, let alone a 14 yr old kid. And I was some darn glad that I missed and gave him that chance!

He went to the Old Town trading post with the guide to tag the moose. The WABI TV crew was there. The news lady asked what kind of gun did he shoot it with. He said a custom Mosin Nagant Russian army rifle in 7.62x54 and not a soul there knew what he was talking about. I bet there has not been another moose taken in this state...with a Mosin Nagant rifle!

Oh, did I mention that I think that Suomi was one of the greatest sub-machine guns ever built, way better than the Thompson ever thought of being. Many say that 71 rd drum mag was the best drum ever made, and copied by the Russians later in the war!

Thanks for the great article!

WC
05-14-2017, 01:26 PM
The top ten snipers of all time seem to vary by who writes them, but they all seem to include Simo Häyhä and mentions of the Mosin Nagant rifle. Some interesting shots mentioned.

http://listverse.com/2009/11/13/top-10-s...n-history/
http://controversialtimes.com/military/1...ely-crazy/
http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most...-all-time/
05-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Simo Hayha had over 500 kills in 90 days, using iron sights, fighting the Russians.
05-14-2017, 03:22 PM
(05-14-2017 01:53 PM)Dale Tudor Wrote:  Simo Hayha had over 500 kills in 90 days, using iron sights, fighting the Russians.

I don't doubt, but how did they ever confirm the count? In a story from one of the links above a sniper shot another sniper through the rifle scope that was aimed at him from a great distance. How did they know? It seems to me that you would be to busy shooting and looking out for yourself and others to confirm the deaths. I can't imagine that the count was important to any of them.
05-14-2017, 03:32 PM
(05-14-2017 03:22 PM)John Smith Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 01:53 PM)Dale Tudor Wrote:  Simo Hayha had over 500 kills in 90 days, using iron sights, fighting the Russians.

I don't doubt, but how did they ever confirm the count? In a story from one of the links above a sniper shot another sniper through the rifle scope that was aimed at him from a great distance. How did they know? It seems to me that you would be to busy shooting and looking out for yourself and others to confirm the deaths. I can't imagine that the count was important to any of them.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think the man doing the shooting would know. The taking of a human life is a serious endeavor, and the shooter, a sniper who aims specifically at one man at a time, would know of his result. No doubt it is a lifetime memory. Plus, it is my impression that these men in Finland did not work alone, but in small units with other men whom they knew well. They watched out for one another, and could generally account for each other's actions. Just my two cents worth.
05-15-2017, 08:50 AM
Not directly related, but locally interesting:

Wally Lindahl, who lives in Carroll, Maine, is a Marine and a brother Gideon, is of Finnish heritage. I sent him a link to the sniper story in this thread. A portion of his reply:

Hello Dale, This amazing man was born 1 year after my father. There was a Civil War in Finland during World War 1 and my father was in it, at 13 or 14. He was captured along with several hundred others. They all had their hands up in the air and my father said to a man next to him that he couldn't hold them up any longer. The man said, "What are you doing here, you are just a boy. Put your hands down and walk away." That is what my dad did, and survived. All the rest were shot to death. About ten years later, he came to America.