Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flooding down East
05-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Flooding down East
The flow through the Grand Lake Stream dam is at it's all time high, not for this date - EVER in the 88 years since records have been kept. It is still rising.

The Narraguagus River is also at its all time high, the previous record set in 1972, and the "Guagus" is still rising fast. This is very dangerous.

Check your local stream flow here: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/rt

The St Croix at Vanceboro is within 90 CFS of its all time high which was set in 1958. At Woodland, The St Croix is rising fast and should exceed it's all time high today. The old record was in 1971. The current owners of the Woodland mill should have drawn the lakes down in anticipation of spring runoff. The old timers knew there was going to be high water.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 07:53 AM by John Smith.)
RE: Flooding down East
Thanks Roger,

I am headed to the Brookton/Vanceboro area next weekend come hell or high water and Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I'll be sure to take my boots.
Sometime soon, I will write about what it takes to get a bottle of spirits at Vanceboro. It's called a "Turnaround" and you need your passport. All Mainers should know.
05-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Is the gas station on the US side still open every other day? It's been a while since I have been in Vanceboro. I used to be a regular.
05-08-2017, 06:01 AM
If the Bangor Daily NEWS still published actual NEWS, they would have stories on this, but can't let a little flooding get in the way of spreading the leftist doctrine to the stoopids in the streets of Bangor and Portland and at the University of Maine!

WC
05-08-2017, 06:52 AM
(05-07-2017 10:19 PM)Roger Ek Wrote:  Is the gas station on the US side still open every other day? It's been a while since I have been in Vanceboro. I used to be a regular.

It's been open every day for the past few years that I have going there. Price of gas there ain't bad either.
05-14-2017, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2017 11:57 AM by John Smith.)
I spent the whole day Saturday in the Brookton area mostly in the woods of some nearby towns but I wasn't alone. There were black flies on the attack about 6:30 AM in the sunny areas even though it was cool. I do not know what the temperature was at 3:00 PM, (it felt like 75°) but in the woods the black flies were horrendous. I was about 1/2 mile from my vehicle at that point in difficult going and I wound up swallowing quite a few, but that didn't seem to impact their numbers. I lost a lot of blood by the time I got out. It looks like we will pay for the drought induced bug shortage we had last year in spades this year. Lots of flowing water just in time for the black flies and pools of stagnate water in the woods for the mosquitos in another few weeks. In the past I have observed pinkish grey rafts of black fly fry swirling on the surface in the little backwaters of streams waiting for the right moment to take to the air. With all this running water I can only imagine the horrors that await us. No deer fly sightings Saturday, it's a little early yet.

There is plenty of water about. I didn't have time to make it to Vanceboro and didn't get to see the St Croix. Lots of water flowing in the Baskahegan and Piscataquis, but the peak seem to have been passed already. The better gravel roads were all firm, but you wouldn't want to get off them as it is mush nearly everwhere else.

Next to the gas station in Vanceboro, they sell Maine spirits, but you just can't walk in and buy some. You need your passport and you have go into Canada with it and return. I asked the lady at the gas station how does a Mainer buy Maine spirits at this store located in Maine. She said that I would need my passport and I would have to do a "Turnaround". At that point I loss interest so I don't recall the details and exactly how it is carried out. Apparently I can purchase up to three bottles of Maine spirits, but both the spirits and myself must cross the border into Canada. Then I can return with them and treat them as my own. I must declare at the border that I am there for a "Turnaround". The lady at the gas station said that she does it herself. Now, I don't know exactly how this happens or what keeps me from just driving off once I get the spirits so someone in the know can fill in the missing details or make corrections to what I have written. On another occasion I noticed that a golf cart type of vehicle with some official lettering on it, drive up to the spirit store and then back to the customs area so maybe it is connected somehow. I am tempted to try it to see how it works, but worry that I may get into Canada and not get back. I guess if I take three bottles then it won't matter for awhile.