Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Threw some potatoes in today
10-24-2017, 07:34 AM
RE: Threw some potatoes in today
Shouldn't be any maggots!
The first year they had the hunt, I was chosen and shot a 1005# bull.
Got the hide off that day and quartered it the next morning and hung it in a walk-in @42 degrees for 12 days.
I was on the road and had only intended to hang it for 10.
When I cut it up, the ribcage had a bit of slime on the outside, so some of that got thrown out.
When I did some of the ribs, I wished that I'd saved all of them, as they were delish.
The meat was excellent, as well.
The hunt was much earlier that first year, which gives a much better critter due to the rut not really having begun.
I shot another big bull a few years later, handled it the same way, and you couldn't chew the gravy.
One of the local guys that butchers his own beef completely power washes the critter inside and out, dries if off, and then rubs it down with vinegar.
Then he ages it for at least thirty days.
That's some of the best tasting beef I've had.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Interesting and appreciate your experience.

Out of the 10 moose I've put a fork too this is within the top 3 in size, so far haven't seen any cysts other than heart
10-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Best one I ever had was a 300 pounder back in the seventies.
But that's another story.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
10-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Although there is variability in the animals, I have been surprised that even large bulls can turn out tender and delicious if they are killed quickly, eviscerated quickly and cooled quickly. Then aged in a cooler for a week or two. The reverse can turn even a prime animal into leather nastiness. When possible, I prefer to first render the animal unconscious immediately with a hump shot, then finish with a lung or heart shot. The hump shot puts them down and out but will not kill unless you hit the spine directly. You need a finisher as they are only temporarily knocked out, but bulls I have killed this way have been the best in quality.
10-26-2017, 09:20 PM
I just shoot them wherever I can put one in and break them down. If I had to over think every shot, I don't know how many We've had taken.

Moose are getting smarter, the Darwin principle, they don't sit and think about their lives as they used to, once they get it they move.

I remember talking to some of these naives in the past, saying how shooting a moose was like walking up to a cow in a pasture and putting it down. Well if you put some of these people in the woods today thinking that they wait for the right moment and moose they will be going home with moose shit in their hands.

Your experience may be different, but sometimes you get done first day, mid-week and last day or never. Never is not an option for a meat hunter, so you take opportunities as they present themselves, if you take an old one may your days be filled with delicious stews and not over priced who knows beef.
10-27-2017, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 03:10 AM by John Smith.)
Agreed, It is not a natural thing to aim for anything other than a double lung hit for certain death and a good blood trail.