Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Threw some potatoes in today
06-28-2017, 06:13 AM
RE: Threw some potatoes in today
Up here the weather has sucked for haying. The grass has grown like crazy but it takes 2-3 days to dry it out and we have been having rain every day just about. Nobody is haying other than the guys chopping it for silage. The farm my wife works on has been doing balage for a while and she is the bale wrapper and has about worn herself out on that this past few days.

None of the big dry hay guys have done any mowing here for two weeks. My machinery is about ready but there is no hurry I guess.

The water is good for veggies though!

WC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Potato vine die off was early but got a fair yield, butternut did well, was a complete wash on buttercup. Others have luck with buttercup, but they always under produce for me, late sets no sets etc, Butternut keep longer etc, why do I bother... buttercup
10-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Took about half of my garlic production and put it in ground for next year . Winter ryed half the garden a month ago and after frost sunday pulled the tomatoes and peppers and did some remaining garden with rye.

So dry have to water even now to just get rye started, always look forward to fall and winter until March, can't imagine living anywhere else but I don't have much experience. ; )
10-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Finished most of the potato planting at the end of May, and the crop looks to be pretty bad due to no water.
We had two storms from the fourth till now that gave us only 6.5 inches total for the three months.
On a better note, I planted a couple acres on July sixth and they will be the best crop around.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
10-04-2017, 05:00 AM
Gota be tough being a farmer and be subject to mother nature, guess they were irrigating to beat the band up in the county.

I know if I hadn't watered my vegetable garden out back I would have had none.

I've seen some late planted crops driving around that somehow pulled it together before frost.
10-04-2017, 06:17 AM
Here on the coast our garden was a bust, in the past we watered using rainwater we collected in a 55gal barrel, not enough rain this year to keep it full. My brother in Lee had the same problem, with the same results
10-18-2017, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 08:12 PM by Mike G.)
Will be adding some protein to the freezer, after driving around three days, calling, trying to get a bull, it turned colder Thursday morning and we instantly saw four legged game in the north woods. We called in one bull on Monday but he hung up and wouldn't come in, we had a couple answer us on occasion but wind direction etc, all the things that make hunting not shopping was against us.

But Thursday was cold and they moved, from fleeting glimpses to 4 in onemorning, life was good,. a 750 lb bull was brought to the butcher.

Really enjoyed my time up there, everyone tired of the rat race, should spend some time in the North Maine Woods, but watch out for them wood haulers, it is their road.
10-19-2017, 06:09 AM
Make sure to let that beast hang for at least ten days with the hide off at roughly 40 degrees.
You won't be disappointed.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Ugene

Dang, only hung for 5 days, had it butchered in Mapleton, you might know them, they said 5 days minimum, but I've never been asked that question. Mostly had ours done in Maple farms in Charleston and I was never asked the question. They always just put it through the mill and never had a problem.

I always found the 3 or less most toothsome, we are hoping its a 3 or 4 we have had some grandpas which were best just hamburger other than a few cuts. Good stew meat so too speak, if they didn't have parasites. LOL

Only had one of those, what are those hard round cysts in my steak?
10-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Had 2 different cuts, so far, 1 stunk to high heaven glad they didn't hang it any longer than they did?

I don't like maggots