Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Modern Whig Party
01-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Modern Whig Party
I recently left the Republican Party and joined membership in the Modern Whig Party.

Here is quote from the by-laws of the Modern Whig Party,

"The Modern Whig party of the United States of America is the party for the rest of us, the party of patriots, the party of equality, the party of liberty, and the party of moderates.

We, the Modern Whigs, standing on the broad and firm platform of the Constitution, united by all of its inviolable and sacred guarantees and compromises, relying upon the intelligence of the American people, with an abiding confidence in their capacity for self-government and their devotion to the Constitution and to the United States of America, pledge to go forth with integrity, open-mindedness, pragmatism, and transparency as we pursue our civic duty."

http://www.modernwhig.org

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Established in New England in the Year of our Lord 1648.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
RE: Modern Whig Party
thank you for posting this CM. Interesting.
01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Interesting, I will look into this further. Thanks for posting this CM
01-27-2014, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 06:12 PM by Roger Ek.)
This looks like it is worth a look despite a really big red flag in their introduction. They use the word, "moderate". There is the red flag for me. I knew a guide from Belgrade some 60 years ago. When he had a low opinion of someone he described that person as "kinda moderate". Over time I came to learn that somebody who was "kinda moderate" was slow, lazy, bereft of any initiative, dim witted, shiftless, shifty, inefficient, untrustworthy, unreliable, unprincipled and of questionable character. I think the word 'unprincipled' covers much of it.

Maybe they should use a less descriptive word for their lack of commitment, such as "flexible". I teach history with Project Appleseed and am quite familiar with Whigs and Tories.

A couple of decades ago when the Republican Party was engaged in their first great purge of conservatives I checked out the Libertarian Party and the Constitution Party. In fact, I sat next to Mark Cenci at Adam Mack's campaign school. I liked nearly all of what the Libertarians had to say and nearly all of their platform. In fact, they asked me to write the property rights plank of their platform. I did write it and they accepted it with no editing.

However, the libertarians would not endorse me for my run for the maine Senate. I learned that they could agree with you on 90% of your positions, but if you did not support their one core agenda, the other 90% meant nothing to them. That core issue is legalization of drugs. I'm not referring to a few pot plants out back in the swamp. I'm referring to the meth lab across from the school and street vendors selling heroin. If you don't support that, you can forget any support from the Libertarian Party.

I wrote the property rights plank for the Constitution Party also. The language was not identical to the Libertarian plank. It was customized for the Constitutionalists. They liked it. Some 16 years ago when the Second District Caucus wrote the platform that replaced the vanilla platform proposed by the platform committee; that platform came off my laptop. It was printed on salmon colored paper because the attack on Washington County through the salmon situation was a hot issue and well publicized. That platform was adopted nearly unanimously. Kevin Raye ran up and down the aisles begging people not to vote for it. He said we had to support Olympia.

That year we elected 27 freshman Republican house members. The Democrats elected 17. We elected 50% more freshmen than the Democrats. If that continued, we would have had veto-proof majorities within four years in both houses in Augusta and Chandler Woodcock would have been governor. Alas, it was not to be. Two years later there was a bloodbath and 90% of the conservatives were voted off the state committee. The insiders went back to their comfort zone as near permanent minority party.

Will it happen again? We'll know before May. We have a great platform right now. The watered down proposed platform will not gain any enthusiasm for Republican candidates. Get out our remaining activists for one last push. If we lose this May we'll be sunk for a decade again.
01-28-2014, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 08:55 AM by Abacus.)
...relying upon the intelligence of the American people...

Where did they find this? I have yet to see it in daily life.

One of my favorite and most accurate lines I have ever heard is from a movie, MIB: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals..."

Never heard of the party before and they make it sound like a catch-all party, sort of like a drain or garbage can catches what's left over with a sprinkling of Constitution tossed in for flavor. No thanks.
01-29-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 08:00 PM by Roger Ek.)
The word 'citizen' used to mean something. It required engagement with the government. There was a great deal of responsibility associated with being a citizen. Politician had to heed citizens or suffer severe consequences. Those times will return. Being a citizen will mean something to much of the population once more as it has always to some of us. At the bottom of most of my signatures is an old quote:

Though the Constitution defends us, it cannot defend itself.
We, the People are tasked with that solemn responsibility.