Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
barrel length opinions
01-31-2017, 03:12 PM
RE: barrel length opinions
I taught that "racking sound" process to my son when he was about eight years old. The conversation went like this: "Jeff, what is the sound that a burglar never wants to hear?" "I don't know, what?" Then I racked my 12 guage.

He learned the lesson and used it 20 something years later, in Colorado, where he was living and working, as a hot shot crew firefighter, when there was a 2:00 a.m. commotion at his front door. He grabbed his own shotgun, leaned out the window over the door (from the second floor), racked it, and asked the miscreant down below, "What do you want?" The guy immediately looked up, began apologizing profusely, and left.

Now he is a dad, and I pray he passes the lesson on to his son in five or six years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2017, 06:53 PM
It isn't actually the racking sound they fear.
It's the sound that more than likely follows it that makes them want some new underwear.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
02-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Back when I was a wee lad, the old man and I used to hunt Merrymeeting Bay back when there was ducks and lots of hunters. Well to say there was some shooting going on, on an opening day was a understatement.

There was a sound that always stood out from the rest and had to ask my dad, what was that? and he said, that's one of those damn 10 gauges. I've never owned a 10 gauge.

In this day of black guns and wonder nines, I'd like to try something different. I hear they are hard to find without a cracked stock.
02-02-2017, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 07:52 AM by Ugene.)
There used to be an old gentleman that worked for us on the farm.
He once told me about shooting an 8 Ga. in his youth.
He kept rubbing his shoulder while talkin.

BTW, every once in a while you'll see a 10 Ga. on Uncle Henry's

02-02-2017, 11:49 PM
A great way to develop a flinch, I'm sure, I used to hunt ducks with a 870 and sometimes a double and I developed quite a flinch. I switched to a semi-auto and my kill ratio and enjoyment increased.

I used to do ok when I was younger with a pump or double but as I progressed in years the memories increased, I guess you would say.

I shot a friends semi-auto benelli on skeet once and was amazed how soft shooting it was, it was like shooting a 20. I would have run right out and bought one if not for the 1500 price tag vs how many ducks I'd shoot.
02-03-2017, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 11:09 PM by Mike G.)
that's one of those damn 10 gauges

Before I got buyer's remorse, It is always best to reconsider a possible purchase and a reason why the old man never had a 10 gauge.

After viewing some youtube and looking at the difference between a 10 3.5 and a 12 3 inch in hand and considering my long term memory. I'm thinking maybe AK or AR or better yet a nice 28 gauge sxs that I can walk around the tickets and imaging the flush of grouse and woodcock. : )
02-04-2017, 07:58 AM
What's this "flushing" you speak of?
Up here in North Maine, we do what my Dad always called "ground sluicing".
It's a lot less work.

02-04-2017, 11:59 AM
28 gauge holders do not sluice. ; )