Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
barrel length opinions
11-30-2016, 12:00 AM
RE: barrel length opinions
I've recently seen an Alaskan model double action stainless with 2.5 inch (I guess that is the standard length for these) competitively priced and it has sparked my imagination.

Kenny @ 2.5 inches I'd be worried about its bark rather than its bite, wonder how long the flame would shoot out of the mother?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2016, 02:18 AM
Thanks Mike
That gave me a good laugh.
Point blank range the flame/powder burns would be impressive. Everyone walking around deaf for a while.

I was shooting next to a friend with an L frame smith 4 inch .357 once and the side blast was
throwing my game off, and that was only a .357.
12-18-2016, 04:36 PM
As to aventures, When the door gunner swings a .50 cal Browning M2 machine gun forward and the muzzle is about 2 feet from the pilot, you can feel the great blood vessels in your lungs shake from the muzzle blast. Hence, a pair of hearing aids in order to hear at all.

We had 14 rockets, seven on each side. When they are used up we had miniguns that fired forward, but nothing reaches out like "Ma Deuce", the .50 cal. Even the ricochets go a very long way.
12-18-2016, 08:43 PM
One of the biggest reasons that the US air power won the air war over Europe, as well as in the Pacific was because of those Browning 50's. All US front line fighters had 6 Brownings, 3 in each wing, each gun carrying 450 rounds of ammo in staggered trays to allow room for all of that in the aircraft wings. The twin boom Lockheed P-38 had 4 Brownings in the nose along with a 30mm cannon, all set to converge at 200 yds! I have seen color photos of a P-38 on the sighting range firing tracer at night. To say that is is "awe-inspiring" would be an understatement.

Major 4 engined bombers like the B-17 and B-24 were heavily armed with as many as 10 Brownings in different positions and turrets.

The twin engined light bomber the North American B-25, of Jimmy Doolittle fame, was used in the south pacific. Our boys on New Guinea were trying to stop the Japs from reinforcing their forces on the Island and were having a hard time of it. Some guys got the idea to remove the plexiglas nose from the aircraft and enclose it with metal. They were ingenious using things like Carnation evaporated milk cans for patches as needed. The aircraft then ended up with 10 Brownings mounted in the nose or alongside in pods, all of them linked to a trigger button on the pilot's control wheel.

The pilot would approach a Jap ship, out of a diving course, down low over the water, maybe at 100 ft altitude. As the ship grew larger in front of him the pilot would open up firing the guns into the water, then pull the nose up until the rounds were hitting the ship, jinking the rudder pedals to swing the aircraft nose back and forth and killing anything on the ships open decks. They sank tens of thousands of tons of Jap shipping with this little "field modification" thanks to John Brownings marvelous invention!

They are still in use too in more than a few places in the military today.

WC
12-19-2016, 12:57 PM
So, Kenny, it looks like the collective wisdom of this experienced group is that you carry a Browning 50!

I had a 10" Super Blackhawk - it was fun to shoot; I sold it and I don't miss it. I now have a couple shorter Blackhawks, which are much more handy. I received some advice from Roger in the early 80's when we worked in the same company that a single-action revolver was as fast to shoot as a double action because you could learn to thumb the hammer back while bringing the sights back on target. That is very true, but I would personally not trust my ability to successfully do that if even a hundred pounds of "bitey & scratchy" was running in my direction. If I were selecting a .44 mag for dangerous animal defense, I would choose a 4" double action model. I prefer Ruger and Smith, but that may just be prejudice.

I find that 7-7.5 grains of Unique topped with a 240 grain hunk of lead makes for nice shooting - I never measured the velocity. I'd highly recommend using light loads for practice and carrying the stiffer stuff for defense - if you ever have to use it, you're never going to feel it (or hear it) until afterwards.

The Three Godly institutions - Marriage, Family, Government - are being attacked. We must fight with integrity and love for all humanity. 1 Peter 2:16- Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil...
12-20-2016, 07:51 AM
I like the .50 BMG in it's native form. But since nobody has yet made a revolver chambered for it (Can't imagine what THAT would look like....and I thought the first S&W .500 that I saw was a monster!) I guess I will have to settle for my Super Blackhawk, or a Redhawk if I had one, in 44 mag.

Ever since I was a teenager enraptured by the exploits of Elmer Keith, I have loved the big ol revolvers. He was a fan of throwing the biggest possible piece of lead at the target....and I concur with that philosophy.

One of my sons carries a Kimber in 45 which I think is a great weapon but difficult to carry when you work in construction as I, and he, do. I have to carry my little 5 shot 38 revolver, but it's a lot better than what most people carry...which is nothing!

WC
01-28-2017, 07:03 PM
"Kenny @ 2.5 inches I'd be worried about its bark rather than its bite, wonder how long the flame would shoot out of the mother?"

It isn't how far. It is how wide. Fire one of those beasts at night and you get a donut of flame the size of a Christmas wreath. That ring of fire is nearly two feet in diameter before that fat bullet gets ten feet down range.
01-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Perfect examples why tools (things that go BANG) and baseball hats differ,

One Size Does Not Fit All.

Yes Knucklehead, A single action Ruger with the 5 inch barrel is 2nd on my wish list to the double action Redhawk. I trust Ruger. 240 grain is the standard weight .44 bullet I think. I haven't loaded shells in decades, was wondering if they even made Unique anymore. That is what I used to like for short barrel applications.

As far as the 50 cal, I was looking to buy a surplus Toyota truck that some unnamed country would have sent to ISIS that has one mounted in the bed. That would be a corker. I assume they still make the M60 as well, cheaper to operate.

Around 40 some years ago seems a friend had a single shot rifle that took a 50 cal MG round. I didn't get to fire it and wasn't really begging too either.

Roger's point of muzzle flash is duly noted. The inquiry I was making concerns daylight lighting when you can see your target. I have had occasion to have to go outside at midnight to start the generator or figure out why the wood boiler wasn't putting out and it can be creepy in the dark. My plan B for pitch black conditions is a single barrel 12, 3 inch, double 00 shot as one need not be Annie Oakley to accomplish a protected retreat.

Must be around 18 months ago now, I went out in the dark and some lone animal, not really too far away, let out a convincing howl that sounded very wolf like. I screamed at him that fat people would be bad for his cholesterol as I hoofed it double time back to the house.
01-31-2017, 09:11 AM
Inthe dark of night there is just something about the sound of a 12 ga shell being racked into the chamber of a pump gun....that would stop most any bad guy in his tracks.

None of them are so burnt out that they don't know what THAT sound is from!

WC
01-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Just the sound of any shotgun racking a shell is unnerving if you are about to be on the receiving end, even my .410 will give most people pause.