Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MSMA Convention
11-18-2016, 04:44 PM
RE: MSMA Convention
When my wife's grandparents came here from Denmark, early in the last century, they had to learn English as that was, and still is, the official language of the United States.

If they don't want to learn the language, and assimilate into American society, they don't belong here in the first place.

I hate all the signs on the stores now, in several languages.

WC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2016, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2016 10:43 PM by f220.)
"state-approved career and technical education program of study"

not "state-approved career"

(11-06-2016 02:31 AM)Mackenzie Andersen Wrote:  The "government" is now public private relationships and the taxpayers are subsidizing the upper crust of the economy so the statement "Of the adults that actually ARE working, a very high percentage of them are dependent upon "government" doesn't mean what it used to mean- jobs working in the traditional government sector- it means the public private sector. Without the tax payer subsidization the private sector companies either couldn't or wouldn't pay the high wages and benefits mandated by the Maine Legislature in exchange for arranging for tax payers to cover many of the costs of employment and capitalization of the business.

Some French friends once told me that in France the government tells the people what jobs they can go into.

I was trying to find the statute mandating that high-school students be proficient in another language in order to graduate. I didn't find that but I found this new law from Maine's totalitarian Legislature. This is taking away our freedoms and interfering with the free enterprise system on so many levels. The state of Maine is now a corporation which uses the educational system to train workers for industries approved by the state:

Quote:B-2. For the graduating class of 2020-2021 and each subsequent graduating class, a student who has satisfactorily completed a state-approved career and technical education program of study and either met 3rd-party-verified national or state industry standards set forth in department rules established pursuant to section 8306-B or earned 6 credits in a dual enrollment career and technical education program formed pursuant to chapter 229 from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and who has successfully demonstrated proficiency in meeting state standards in the content areas and the guiding principles set forth in department rules governing implementation of the system of learning results established pursuant to section 6209, is eligible to receive a high school diploma from the secondary school the student last attended. A student may be awarded a high school diploma from the secondary school the student last attended in accordance with the phase-in of the following diploma requirements for the graduating class of 2020-2021 to the graduating class of 2023-2024:

"a state approved career! How to make Maine even less attractive for anyone raising a family! "State approved career!

Then they decided to give a high school diploma for serving in the armed services:
Quote:E. A person may be awarded a high school diploma, including a posthumous award, if the person or a family member of the person applies to a secondary school and:
(2) The person did not graduate or receive a diploma from a secondary school because the person left secondary school to serve in the Armed Forces and served during the following periods:
(a) World War II, from December 7, 1941 to August 16, 1945;
(b) The Korean Conflict;
© The Vietnam War era, from February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975; or
(d) The period of wartime or peacetime after a period of wartime described in division (a), (b) or ©; and
(3) The person received an honorable discharge or a certificate of honorable service from the Armed Forces.
For the purposes of this paragraph, "Armed Forces" means the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard and the merchant marine. [2015, c. 489, §2 (AMD).]
No disrespect to our armed forces but that is fucked up. They can give high school diplomas to people living or dead if they serve in the armed forces. That means they can barely know English, or math of history, but if they serve in the armed forces they can get a degree that is supposed to mean one knows those things.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/st...722-A.html

(11-07-2016 11:12 PM)woodcanoe Wrote:  The closing of Loring Air force base had a devestating blow on Northern Aroostook Cty. The Maine legislature passed legislation creating the Maine Military Authority, at the former base, as an "instrument" of the state!

Maine Military Authority

This was created by an act of the Maine Legislature in 2001, primarily to provide "high paying" jobs in an economically depressed area, repairing Humvees that had been in combat.

........."1. Execute agreements. Execute cooperative agreements between the Maine National Guard and the Federal Government or its instrumentalities or agencies;.........2. Contract with various entities. Contract with the Federal Government or its instrumentalities or agencies, the State or its agencies, instrumentalities or municipalities, foreign governments, public bodies, private corporations, partnerships, associations and individuals".........

Title 37-B

A few years back the "repairing the war damaged vehicle business" dried up, for lack of busted vehicles. Numerous layoffs took place, of people with those "high paying jobs". Recently the LePage administration helped negotiate a contract with the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority......for the repair of 36 articulated transit busses.

I have built a number of homes and other buildings......on a contract basis where the job is done for a firm price. In order to be able to do this one has to be able to figure the actual COST of performing the job, then add on 20% profit or whatever.

The highly paid "geniuses" taxed with figuring the actual COST of this work, screwed up badly and way underestimated that cost. The result is that with only 11 units repaired it was obvious that somebody had screwed up bad and the job was way UNDERBID! Lepage stepped in and shut the job down before it cost the taxpayers to make up for the losses. Way to go guys!

The MBTA has the legal right to hold them (state of Maine) to the contract but Lepage is trying to renegotiate the contract with MBTA. MBTA will have no choice but to do so as the job will go on the rocks othewise.

Somewhere in all the legalese (can't find it tonight) I read that the MMA could NOT go to the taxpayers for $$$$. But wording of the laws changes over time to suit the supporters of same I think.

The major question I have is why is the State of Maine trying to run businesses and compete with the state's taxpayers? Someone, in PRIVATE enterprise, someplace in America would have been glad to bid on this business. If this is such a good deal why doesn't the state of Maine take over ALL businesses......and we can all be highly paid state employees?

But you say that WON'T work?

My understanding of the meaning of "Fascism" is that it exists when the state takes over the means of production.

Seems like we are getting closer to that as time goes by!

WC

Maine is a tricky state. But I guess that many are. Across the country, jobs are moving away from the rural areas. Loring closed. So much of Maine has useless properties. The best use for Loring is probably for it to revert to a state of nature. There are a lot of voters who have the preference for not watching most of Maine simply revert to a state of nature. That's why you get those unfavorable results supply and demand have changed in Maine and there really isn't a demand for a lot of big old buildings in the middle of rural areas.

It's pretty amazing the types of buildings listed in the commercial section of Maine Listings .com . For instance, there are 2 buildings, each at 23K square feet for sale on Water Street in Augusta. each at approx $300K. Normally, one would think that the downtown of a state capitol, the old buildings, along the river, would be in some demand. Not really, not in Maine. No matter where you look, you'll find buildings that are seen by the market as white elephants. It's within this context that "fascism" arrives, I guess, in attempts to keep CD2 from crumbling into the dirt.
11-19-2016, 04:06 AM
The big old vacant buildings along our rivers were built when we had dams. The environmental industry is tearing out our dams which increases the danger of those buildings being flooded. The Edwards Dam above Augusta, the dam at Howland and the large dam at Old Town are gone. Rural cleansing is closing in on the larger towns. One exception is Dover where an old mill building has been converted to apartments and offices. I hope those investors are successful.
11-19-2016, 08:24 AM
Roger, the environmental industry isn't tearing out dams. Sportmen and environmentalists are insisting that dam owners provide adequate fish passage. That one dam in Augusta ended huge runs of salmon, shad, alewives, sturgeon and other fish the entire length of the Kennebec River for 150 years!. No dam owner should have the right to do that. Every dam that impedes fish passage should have fishways. In many cases, the dam owners found it was cheaper to tear out the dam than to build appropriate fishways. The Halifax dam on the Sebasticook is a prime example. Now millions of alewives - an important forage fish for the Gulf of Maine, travel as far as Newport because the dam was removed. That's tremendous progress.
11-19-2016, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 04:22 PM by Roger Ek.)
In order to build our nation we needed water power. There was no better and cleaner energy source back then. Sure we had lots of pollution early on. Tanneries dumped their vats in our streams. Paper mills dumped their batch cook liquor into streams until they invented continuous digesters. It enabled us to have paper to write on and create our founding documents. The enviro-natzis tell us what they want. We just have to pay attention.

“Human happiness, and certainly human fecundity, are not as important as a wild and healthy planet.  I know social scientists who remind me that people are part of nature, but it isn't true.  Somewhere along the line -- at about a billion years ago, maybe half that -- we quit the contract and became a cancer.  We have become a plague upon ourselves and upon the earth.

Until such time as Homo Sapiens should decide to rejoin nature, some of us can only hope for the right virus to come along.
David M. Graber, National Park Service.

"Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs."

-brek-
John Davis, editor of Earth First! Journal

". . . The collective needs of non-human species must take precedence over the needs and desires of humans."
Dr. Reed F. Noss, The Wildlands Project

"If I were reincarnated, I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels."
Prince Phillip, World Wildlife Fund

-break-

About 20 years ago the state was trucking salmon from Veazie and putting salmon in above the Enfield Dam. The Salmon would go way up the Mattawamkeag River.
12-07-2016, 06:38 PM
You can look and see how your local school district spent your tax dollars last year. The Maine DOE released the results at 3:30 this afternoon. Common Core was a bust.