Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
National Anthem Protests
10-18-2016, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2016 06:49 AM by Scout.)
National Anthem Protests
It is my understanding that the NFL had record high TV ratings last year and this year it looks like they might set a record low for ratings. The league tells us the National Anthem Protests are not the reason for the rapid decline in viewership. I am not so sure.

The protests may have been more effective if they came from people who had not benifited richly from the opportunities that America offers. The protests quickly spread from the role models for our youths to college and high school sports. I know of many people who normally watch football, but will no longer watch it if the protests don't stop.

I don't think people like to see symbols of their country disrespected. This will be hard on businesses that rely on viewership for their revenue. It is hard for me to believe that NFL players would risk their livelihood in this way without some outside encouragement. If ratings rebound, Americans will get to see the symbols of our country disrespected on a regular basis. If ratings crash, America could loose the quality of one of their favorite pastimes. Either way, those that hate America win. Maybe this is just a coincidence, maybe not.

Most people I know who love football also love America so it is no surprise to me that ratings immediately started to fall as the protests began. I don't see how it is possible for the NFL to recover its viewership any time soon. Many fans still hold football 2nd to America.

Many Americans don't like to be told what to think. Hollywood, newspapers and the MSM have done this. Now many new movies are flopping, newspaper sales are way down and hardly anyone watches the MSM anymore. If sports celebrities want to give it a try and expect a different result, I am betting they will wish that they stuck to their game.

Every election some of the Hollywood types proclaim that if the election doesn't go the way that they want, they will leave the country. They never do and I guess they expect their proclamation is supposed to influenced the election result. I have yet to hear any of the NFL Nation Anthem protestors threaten to give up their NFL jobs and move to another country where there is more opportunity and fairness for all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2016, 07:01 PM
RE: National Anthem Protests
National What League?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
10-18-2016, 07:22 PM
(10-18-2016 07:01 PM)Ugene Wrote:  National What League?

It is one of those "F" words meaning "ungrateful". Maybe "Faultfinding" or "Forgetful".
10-18-2016, 09:00 PM
I used to be a devoted fan of both professional baseball, from the days of Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams, plus I was a die hard New York Giants football fan. Again from the days of quarterback Charley Connerly and kicker Pat Summerall. I still love the history of professional baseball....up until the mid 80's. The moderns stuff sucks completely. I would rather watch a dogfight than these spoiled little brats!

This all went south when they started paying millions of dollars a year to guys for playing a kids game. At one time everyone who played pro sports played because they loved the game, most had to take a winter job to make ends meet.

Now we have filthy rich "whiners" complaining that some guy is making more money than they are. And bestowing this kind of money and fame on them, has enabled those who are protesting the National Anthem.

I would buy a one-way ticket to Rawanda for all of them and lets see how much fame they will acquire in that part of the world.....for playing a game!!

I am sick of most of them and have been for a long time.

Lets see Bond's and Macguire hit all those homeruns, in the old Yankee Stadium, or Municipal Stadium in Cleveland....against Bob Feller or Bob Gibson.....and do it without the steroid enhancement!

WC
10-19-2016, 06:46 AM
I hear people aren't eating in restaurants because of the uncertainty about the election. That was actually printed somewhere in some presstitute rag. Maybe they aren't going to football games also.

Maybe they aren't going because all of the part-time jobs out there that Obama has created, no time and no money.
10-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Sagging NFL TV ratings leave owners scrambling for answers

"Though the protests — from players like Kaepernick taking a knee, to players raising a fist, to players and coaches locking arms in unity — end when the games begin, they generate much discussion before and after the contests.

Still, the impact of the protests illustrates the power of the NFL’s reach.

“I think it’s the wrong venue,” Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay told USA TODAY Sports. “It hasn’t been a positive thing. What we all have to be aware of as players, owners, PR people, equipment managers, is when the lights go on we are entertainment. We are being paid to put on a show. There are other places to express yourself.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl.../92388304/
10-19-2016, 09:49 AM
If nothing else the players could show that they do indeed RESPECT the fans......who pay their vastly inflated salaries.

One of the reasons that I am dismayed by pro sports is that I think there is so much $$$ in it now that that becomes more important than the game itself.

Most of these sports are TEAM games, and nothing leads to team dissension any quicker than riffs over money issues. Pro baseball has been full of such issues. I read a lot of history of pro baseball, especially between about 1920 and 1960 or so, and they were indeed TEAMS in every sense of the word, many of those old timers played together for many years. Read any history from that time period, on Major League Baseball and you can see this easily!

Now the players are more like "hired guns" than team players.

I think a lot has been lost....but them I am accused of being "old fashioned" all the time!

WC
10-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Texas youth football team's season ends early after National Anthem protest

"Head coach Rah-Rah Barber claimed some of the players left not because they opposed the protest, but because they were upset the league suspended him. Barber claimed the organization initially supported him but later issued a suspension amid growing public pressure.

However, Anderson told the Enterprise that Barber singled out and pressured players who chose not to kneel at a Sept. 17 game.

Upset players and parents stopped showing up to practices and games, dropping the number of players on the team from more than 20 to 15, Barber told 12NewsNow.com."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/19/tex...otest.html
10-19-2016, 01:59 PM
I had a shipmates arrested, put in jail until the Captain got him out for not coming to a standstill while the Panamanian flag was lowered at sunset. Saw the ship fined for improper display of a countries flag. About the only sport I watch is the NHL, all the players, coaches etc stand for our anthem as well as the Canadian anthem, it is called respect
10-20-2016, 06:20 PM
I guess the league was wrong when they said the National Anthem protests had nothing to do with the drop in viewership. The number 1 reason sighted by fans who are watching fewer games is the protest.

Fans watching fewer NFL games cite protests as primary reason

"In a survey of 1,136 Americans who identified themselves as NFL fans, 29 percent said they are watching fewer NFL games. (Interestingly, 27 percent said they were watching more, though that does not necessarily correlate only a 2 percent net loss.) The fans claiming they watch less of the NFL cited the following reasons:

• Protests by Colin Kaepernick and others
• Lack of opportunity to watch the NFL
• Lost interest in the NFL
• Presidential election"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fans-watchi...59483.html