Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideas to start my generator
01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: Ideas to start my generator
Will a riding lawn mower starter work on an engine like this? I ask because folks who do small engine repair often have used ones kicking around and might be able to install one without too much cost. Just a thought...

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Thank you one and all. Great suggestions and I will look seriously at them all. Thanks again!
Find all posts by this user
01-22-2014, 02:27 PM
(01-22-2014 10:43 AM)Butch Moore Wrote:  Will a riding lawn mower starter work on an engine like this? I ask because folks who do small engine repair often have used ones kicking around and might be able to install one without too much cost. Just a thought...

That was my initial idea, but remembered that you need a flywheel ring gear in order to put a starter on it.You also need a battery to turn it.
The whole conversion might become pricey.Cry
That deal with the 18 volt drill gun looked pretty neat to me.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Good point Ugene. I was thinking that many would be "kit ready" and have that alread on them, but then again they may not.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Two of the generators I own use the generator side as a starter.
Don't know how that works.
As I've said before, electrification isn't one of my strong suits.

01-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Hi Gaffer! You're not just a gaffer, but an old gaffer. maybe bob should change your username. Big Grin

I assume you don't have any power which is why you need a generator, but if you have had it until until recently and have squirreled away some of the environmentally harmful incandescent light bulbs could you make an enclosure to trap the heat they give off to keep your oil warm? the oil won't cool down that fast if you have had power recently. Alternately could you use a can of sterno to heat the oil up?

I like the idea of a cordless drill to rev the starter.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
01-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Tanstaf 1

We could change this into a joke thread.

How can an old Gaffer start his generator without using the pull cord?

Do a generator pull cord search on the intertubes, include naked in the search line
01-23-2014, 07:24 PM
I have a 6500 watt generator and she is a mean beech to start when it is very cold! I have a workshop that I keep it in. When it is real cold it is very difficult for me to start it. One of the things that helps us is to build a fire in the shop stove and let it warm up for an hour or two. The increase in the temperature of the fuel and the oil, makes it start way easier than when it is cold.

Pouring a bit of gas into the plug hole is a good remedy as that gives it a very rich fuel air mix,just what you want on start up. The electric drill idea is not a bad one either.

When the generator is used to start the engine, there is a separate winding in the generator that makes it function as a motor.

Probably, in the long run you will buy one with electric start. I have known several that were owned by elderly people, down on the coast. If you get such a unit someday, there is a very important caveat. In order to make sure this will start.......when you need it, you must start it once a month, year round, and let it run for half an hour or so. This keeps everything in working condition and lubrication distributed around on a regular basis. I have seen way too many of these units, left to set for a year or two, and when needed, there is so much corrosion on the electrical system, or the fuel has become rotten and waxy (gasoline stores very poorly in an engine fuel tank especially) that the unit will not start. At that point you are just as bad off as if you had NO generator.

Regular monthly running is important for any generator, but especially for one with electric start. We start ours often, just to let it run for 10 or 15 minutes, and I think it pays off well.

We are looking for a diesel powered unit as we always have way more diesel on hand than gas and diesel stores a whole lot better. I always have 100 gals or so in the portable tank in my truck anyway.

WC
01-23-2014, 07:56 PM
I have a 5500 watt older Kohler that I am planning to convert to propane and also keep the gasoline option.
That way I can be sure it will start on LP and for long outages, I can easily convert it back to gasoline.
It can be done as a DIY for $25, http://www.instructables.com/id/Converti...n-propane/
or you can buy the kit for $100-200, http://www.propane-generators.com/a-c_kits.htm

By the way, that instructables site is a wealth of info.