Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideas to start my generator
01-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Ideas to start my generator
Looking for some ideas to start my pull start generator in cold weather. It has not been a problem until I reached my present age 81. Now I am not strong enough to pull start it with the oil like molasses. I cannot afford to buy a new one with electric start, so need to come up with a plan to start it another way.
The thread about inverters gave me the idea of an inverter connected to my truck battery driving a low speed high torque AC electric drill connected to the pull start shaft. Is that possible. It is a Generac 6500XL and pull starts mean. I'm sure someone else has run into this and found a way around it. I'm listening!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2014, 11:54 AM
RE: Ideas to start my generator
Is there a place to add a starter to the existing generator? That would cost a lot less than a new one, and would allow you to start it.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I have emailed generac and asked them if a kit is available or do they have suggestions as to ways of starting it other than pull start. I am awaiting their reply but I suspect it will be to buy a newelectric start model. We'll see! And thanks for the reply Butch.
01-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Gaffer

Oil like molasses doesn't sound good, try a oil change with 5-30 synthetic.
01-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Post the engine make model and serial number, Gaffer.
I might be able to help you with a starter.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-21-2014, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2014 05:28 PM by Gaffer.)
I think it is a B&S, the model # 09778-7, the serial #6189880- on the engine label. On the generator it says Eng. ID # EHF00945-2 and Serial # 7332576. It also indicates 11 HP. Now that I look back on it and look up the age it is probably 10-15 years old and I think we bought it at BJ's. Don't spend a lot of time on this as I may bite the bullet sometime this year and get one that an old man can start. :-)

Thank you all!
01-21-2014, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2014 06:09 PM by Ugene.)
3 minutes came up with this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQY71pXXa0
Looks like it would fit the bill.
I didn't watch the whole video, but to do it right, the shroud she took off must be put back on for air flow.
Those engines are common, and you could get another used shroud for cheap and use a hole saw to make an opening to put the socket through, saving the original shroud with the pull start just in case.

01-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Gaffer, here's a trick that my dad taught me several years ago:
1) Remove the spark plug and pour 1-2 tablespoons of gas down into the piston.
2) Put the spark plug back in and pull-the-cord... it will hopefully start right up for you.

This little trick has worked well for my generator on cold days. Good luck!
01-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Another one I've used in cold weather is to warm the plug with a propane torch.

01-22-2014, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 11:30 AM by spider.)
Starting fluid. Ether bunny.
Everybody will tell you not to use starting fluid in those small engines cause peak pressure from the ether ignition can stretch the head bolts.
Those people have not been there when I was trying to start a stubborn engine...even those little push mowers. Just put a little squirt of ether in the general area of the air intake.
If at age 81 you are still trying to pull over an 11 hp engine ( that is by the way direct connected to the generator, so you are rolling the generator over as well)...by hand, in the cold with maybe 30 weight oil ( go with the 5W30), likely in the dark....then you are not treating yourself well dude. Put a starter on it and if you don't put fuel additives in the tank...like sta-bil the fuel will break down...takes about 30 days and then it wont matter how many starters you put on it. Equipment at rest stays at rest; equipment in operation stays in operation.....run it once in awhile. Bon chance.