Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Blaine Richardson Leaves GOP, To Run As Independent
01-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Blaine Richardson Leaves GOP, To Run As Independent
"Breaking news this Martin Luther King Jr. Day is the Republican primary for Second Congressional District has lost a candidate. U.S. Navy veteran Blaine Richardson has unenrolled from the Republican Party and will now run as an Independent candidate for Congress."

http://undercoverporcupine.bangordailyne...dependent/

Well this is interesting.

Established in New England in the Year of our Lord 1648.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: Blaine Richardson Leaves GOP, To Run As Independent
Richardson would have syphoned votes from Poliquin leading to a victory for Kevin Raye. A race between Raye and Cain probably would give Cain the win. Rumor has it that Richardson has been unable to raise money. This is a good thing for Poliquin.
01-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Hmmmm
01-20-2014, 08:56 PM
(01-20-2014 10:27 AM)Bob Wrote:  Richardson would have syphoned votes from Poliquin leading to a victory for Kevin Raye. A race between Raye and Cain probably would give Cain the win. Rumor has it that Richardson has been unable to raise money. This is a good thing for Poliquin.

Yes, I agree that it makes a Poliquin primary victory more likely.

Who is the independent candidate who is running against Collins?

I don't see how a more conservative independent candidate running against Poliquin and Cain helps Poliquin win.

If Richardson is going to lose a race, it might as well be the US Senate race, at least he'd be siphoning votes from someone conservatives dislike.
01-20-2014, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 09:05 PM by Bob.)
I don't see how a more conservative independent candidate running against Poliquin and Cain helps Poliquin win.

Richardson would syphon from Poliquin in the primary.

I believe Richardson will eventually throw in the towel. I understand he is having a hard time getting signatures, going independent will give him a little more time but it requires more signatures. IMHO, with the anti GOP sentiment going around, he is trying to catch a final wave. Defecting was the act of a dying candidate.
01-20-2014, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 11:19 PM by Congregational_Minister_.)
Bob,

I believe you are incorrect in your analysis. Blaine has made it clear that he is in the race until November. Also how can he be having a hard time getting signatures when he just got his paperwork to get signatures? It does require more signatures running as an independent candidate, but he can get signatures from any person registered to vote in Maine. I see his leaving the GOP as an act of common sense. The majority of Maine voters, no the super majority of Maine voters are not in the GOP. This gives him the ability to bring his campaign message to a much larger audience of people. Also, his decision to run as an independent candidate has sunk any chance Bruce Poliquin had in winning the general, which is good because we don't another man of bad character in Washington DC.

01-21-2014, 06:47 AM
We will see.
01-21-2014, 07:46 AM
The only thing I see is your post above with false information.

01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Minister

I believe that if Blaine can get his message out to voters that he will have a chance to pull votes from across the spectrum.

We will still have the two-party tango and unfortunately, many voters will say Blaine who?

I don't see this as a negative for Blaine, he will have a better chance to get known and possibly win the prize or a future one. His three way race with Poliquin and Raye probably would not have given him the exposure and votes that he needed.

I think most assumed the primary was a two way race and discounted Blaine.
01-21-2014, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2014 02:45 PM by f220.)
(01-20-2014 09:04 PM)Bob Wrote:  I don't see how a more conservative independent candidate running against Poliquin and Cain helps Poliquin win.

Richardson would syphon from Poliquin in the primary.

I believe Richardson will eventually throw in the towel. I understand he is having a hard time getting signatures, going independent will give him a little more time but it requires more signatures. IMHO, with the anti GOP sentiment going around, he is trying to catch a final wave. Defecting was the act of a dying candidate.

Richardson would take from Poliquin in the primary.

Definitely.

But also in the general.

If he was running against Collins in the US Senate primary, he'd take from Collins.

If he was running independent against Collins in the general, he'd also take from Collins.

I just don't see why it's desirable to have an independent candidate taking votes from Poliquin in the general.

I would like to see a conservative strong enough to get the outside money that is there to challenge Collins in the primary, and the same for the general.

Poliquin might not be an ideal conservative, but he hasn't been enraging conservatives nationwide for many years the way Collins has.

(01-20-2014 11:18 PM)Congregational_Minister_ Wrote:  Bob,

I believe you are incorrect in your analysis. Blaine has made it clear that he is in the race until November. Also how can he be having a hard time getting signatures when he just got his paperwork to get signatures? It does require more signatures running as an independent candidate, but he can get signatures from any person registered to vote in Maine. I see his leaving the GOP as an act of common sense. The majority of Maine voters, no the super majority of Maine voters are not in the GOP. This gives him the ability to bring his campaign message to a much larger audience of people. Also, his decision to run as an independent candidate has sunk any chance Bruce Poliquin had in winning the general, which is good because we don't another man of bad character in Washington DC.

One GOPer making it difficult for another, more well known, GOPer who hasn't been infuriating conservatives for years. Collins has.

If Richardson was conservative, he'd be taking on true RINOs. If he wants to "bring his campaign message to a much larger audience of people", he'd get much more exposure if he took on Collins in either the primary or the general.

As a Ron Paul supporter, if Richardson is running against Poliquin in the general, Richardson, and all of his supporters, are written off in the future. I'd oppose them. It seems like a project of the man from INSCOM, Mark Willis.

There is no benefit to be obtained for conservatism or Liberty by opposing Poliquin.