Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pellet shortage?
01-14-2014, 07:38 AM
RE: Pellet shortage?
Where does one find these geo-bricks? Will they burn in a standard woodstove?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2014, 08:53 AM
No pellet shortage in the midcoast area and biobricks are readily available at a lot of places that sell pellets. They can be burned in a woodstove and last longer than just wood, but are more costly.
01-14-2014, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:28 AM by Butch Moore.)
Urgent, I had a brain cramp....I meant CO...duh....

Edited to add:

Or maybe auto spell got me...Ugene...tablets do that sometimes.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2014, 04:36 PM
So what is the rule of thumb? How many gallons of oil does a ton of pellets equate to?

How much cordwood does a ton equate to?
01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Last time I looked a ton of coal was the equivalent of 1.25 cord of wood. Not sure about pellets as the BTU were not as high as cord wood or coal so I did not compare but you can here.
http://downeastcoal.com/calculator.htm
01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Coal is not in my in basket, but my firewood guy says a cord of seasoned hardwood equates to 150 gallons of oil or so, as I think I said earlier.
01-14-2014, 07:13 PM
How many BTU's are there in a pound of wood?

Although there does not seem to be complete agreement, the
generally accepted value for the gross heating value of "oven dry", i.e. zero moisture, wood is 8600 BTUs per lb

The difference between hardwood and softwood is the weight per volume. A stick of rock maple weighs much more than a stick of fir.

How many BTU's are there in a pound of wood pellets?

Typically the heat value is 8700 BTU per pound. This is for a premium pellet at less than 7% moisture

The BTU value of a pound of cordwood, and a pound of wood pellets is very similar, no surprise there. Different heating values of the various stoves and fuels, are likely due to how efficiently one can burn that pound of wood!

How many BTU's in a pound of coal?

First, it depends on the grade of coal you're burning........One pound of lignite of median moisture and essentially mineral-free, will yield about 6,500 btu's.......One pound of similar common Appalachian bituminous coal will yield about 12,750 btu's........One pound of similar anthracite will burn very clean and yield about 12,500 btu's.

In the days of steam railroad locomotives, the engines were designed to burn particular types of coal. Much of PA had a lot of soft coal, and many steam locomotives had to have such a wide firebox, in order to generate enough steam, that the engineer rode in a cab that was astride the center of the boiler! "Mother Hubbard" engines they were called. There are tremendous differences between the types of coal available.

How many BTU's in a gallon of #2 fuel oil?

Home fuel oil is 140,000 BTU per gallon.

How many BTU's in a gallon of propane?

1 gallon of propane = 91,000 Btu

All of the plumbing and heating guys that I have worked with during my years in building construction, tell me it costs more to heat with propane as it has fewer BTU's per gallon than #2 fuel oil, as you can see above.

I have concluded a couple of things over the years of watching this debate.

1) The people trying to sell you a heating system, are very creative in the ways they tell the customer that that particular equipment (that they are happily trying to get you to buy!)......is the best and most efficient, often in ways that science hasn't even thought about yet.

and

2) If you are happy with your present heating system, good for you, and to the devil with what anyone else thinks about it.

WC
01-14-2014, 08:29 PM
(01-14-2014 04:36 PM)Melvin Udall Wrote:  So what is the rule of thumb? How many gallons of oil does a ton of pellets equate to?

How much cordwood does a ton equate to?

Melvin

A general rule of thumb is if oil is 3.50 per gallon, pellets would have to cost 350 per ton to compete.
4 dollar oil = 400 dollar pellets.
2 dollar oil = 200 dollar pellets.

It's not exact, but close enough and easy to remember.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-15-2014, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 11:26 AM by Roger Ek.)
Home heating oil weighs 6.8 pounds per gallon. So if a gallon has 140,000 BTUs a pound would have 20,588 BTUs. That's a lot of BTUs. Anthracite coal has 12,000 BTUs per pound. It's hard to believe that home heating oil has nearly double the energy per pound than coal has.
01-15-2014, 12:57 PM
If I'm not mistaken, how many BTUs a fuel holds is only part of the equation. How efficient the conversion tool (furnace, stove, etc) is makes quite a bit of difference too.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user