Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pellet shortage?
01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Question Pellet shortage?
Anyone else had difficulty getting pellets? Went to one place and they were out today and not expecting more until the first of the month. The usual place had them, but were low. I have enough for the winter now, but it's always good to have a little extra, just in case.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
RE: Pellet shortage?
(01-13-2014 07:17 PM)Butch Moore Wrote:  Anyone else had difficulty getting pellets? Went to one place and they were out today and not expecting more until the first of the month. The usual place had them, but were low. I have enough for the winter now, but it's always good to have a little extra, just in case.

Butch, selling pellets up here in the Dover area has turned into a cottage industry. Every hardware store, every fuel dealer and every convenience store has lots of them around as many people seem to want to buy only a few bags at a time. I was in the Irving for gas, mid afternoon, and they had 3 pallets in front of the door. AE Robinson, the oil dealer, has his distribution center right across the street and I could look over there and see dozens of tons of em in several different varieties.

Of course there is a pellet producer in Corinth so we are not far from that plant.

WC
Find all posts by this user
01-13-2014, 08:43 PM
I buy them 2 tons at a time which costs less per bag. Storage can be an Issue, but so far I am doing okay with that too.

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
01-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Not surprising that there would be a short term shortage.
I've burned a ton extra over this time last year, and I'm sure everyone else is seeing an increase due to the colder temps as well.

On another note, I was talking with a guy up in Boonville NY this summer at the NY Woodsman show.
He was advertising a system for pellet delivery that would work the same as oil delivery.
He cautioned me about storing large amounts of pellets in confined spaces due to the off-gassing of carbon monoxide which happens for a time after the pellets are manufactured.
He said that EPA was working on future rulings for inside storage systems.
Something I didn't even suspect.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
01-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Well that's something I didn't know about. How big of an issue is this off-gassing?

01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Silent but deadly?
01-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Ugene, it seems that most of the concern is bulk storage. I found couple of links:

http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/w...et-heating

http://biomassmagazine.com/blog/article/...age-safety

Still, it seems like a CO2 detector is a good thing to have anyway.

01-13-2014, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 10:07 PM by mainelydave.)
I don't know about pellets, but I burn geo-bricks in my wood stove. No problem with supply this year. Last year was a different story.

Heutz is L/A provides bulk pellet delivery. I'm contemplating changing my oil boiler to a pellet system.
http://www.heutzpellets.com/storage.htm
http://www.heutzpellets.com/boilers.htm

This is the first I've heard of a co2 issue.
01-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Taxfoe...NoteNoteNoteBlush

01-14-2014, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 07:37 AM by Ugene.)
Not CO2.
Carbon Monoxide.
The poisonous stuff that comes out of a tailpipe.
That's what caught my attention.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh