Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dried Beans and Potatoes
03-10-2016, 10:42 AM
RE: Dried Beans and Potatoes
(03-09-2016 09:50 PM)woodcanoe Wrote:  Can you tell us the names of the 11 varieties in that jar.

WC

I updated the original post to include the names and a better picture.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for doing that. I see quite a few old favorites in there. We grow Yellow eye, Red Kidney, naval and once in a while some others for experimenting.

I buy new kinds from Vermont Bean Seed Co. We tried these several years back and they are our largest quantity and most favorite beans now. They have an excellent taste to them and grow very well.
[Image: bean_zpsqatrm6bn.jpg]

Appaloosa! Both my wife and I have been around horses, and had our own, for 35-40 years. The Appaloosa was always my favorite, due to their color, disposition and history. So it was like discovering a new world when we found these beans.

Vermont Bean is a tad "pricey" but you only have to buy them once, then you can save seeds forever!

They are our favorites by a lot now. My wife makes a huge pot and we have them for one meal. Then she cooks up a couple pounds of our homemade sausage, along with onions, peppers, garlic and lots of other things, and turns them into "Chuck Wagon" beans, and they are to kill for. We have several friends that have tried them, and loved em, that now she makes two pots at time so some of our friends can have a bit of them too. They are quite a hit.

The older generations of my family raised a lot of the Jacob's cattle and that is about all I ate as a kid.

My dad was always "prepared" for whatever, probably came from his military service and the cold war during my youth. He always said if he could only save one food it would be dried beans as they are nutritious and almost indestructable!

WC
03-11-2016, 09:35 AM
My wife is a horse nut so I better try Appaloosa. They sound yummy, thanks for the tip.
03-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the link, I will check them out.
06-19-2017, 11:50 AM
(03-01-2016 07:29 AM)Ugene Wrote:  MD, or anyone else.
If you need potato seed just give me a PM.
I usually grow around twenty varieties, not counting my experimental lines.
No need to feed the GMO paranoia at Fedco.

Ugene, I have been having trouble with scab even while planting so called "scab resistant" varieties. What do you recommend?
08-08-2017, 01:29 PM
MEXICAN COURT FORBIDS IMPORTS OF US POTATOES
" The court ruled the ban must be implemented to preserve Mexicans' collective rights to "preserve food sovereignty and the health of Mexican crop fields"
http://www.thenews.mx/mexico/mexican-cou...-potatoes/
08-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Potato Facts
http://idahopotatomuseum.com/potato-facts/

"Today potatoes are grown in all 50 states of the USA and in about 125 countries throughout the world.

*According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest potato grown was 7 pounds 1 ounce by J. East (1953) and J. Busby (1982) of Great Britain."
09-06-2017, 07:34 AM
It is safer to grow your own food.

ISIS Urges Supporters To Poison Food At US Grocery Stores
"Aside from the obvious death toll, we imagine that a terror attack in an American grocery store would annihilate billions in grocery stock market cap, adding to the industry’s Whole Foods Market-inspired woes. Investors who once saw grocers as an oasis in the troubled retail sector are increasingly balking now that Amazon has promised to use sensors and automation to save on staffing costs and undercut rivals on pricing. And the terror threats won’t help."
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-05...ery-stores
09-06-2017, 07:43 PM
I remember the poisoned Tylenol some years back......and the utter PANIC that caused. I am surprised that they have not already done it. Only need to hit one package here and there, and nobody else would buy the rest......great terror tactic!

We produce as much food as we can as you control that process TOTALLY that way and know what you are eating!

WC
11-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Large U.S. farm study finds no cancer link to Monsanto weedkiller

""This is the largest study of agricultural workers in history, over the longest period of time," he told Reuters. "It is the gold standard,... and it definitively demonstrates in a real-world environment that glyphosate doesn't cause cancer.""
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/large-u-farm-s...nance.html