Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ammo shortage
01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
RE: Ammo shortage
WC

I kick myself for not buying an SKS back in late 90's, but I just considered them Chinese crap in my ignorance. I also scoffed at the 7.65 x 39 round, but I'm use to 308, 06 and such.

In hindsight I was being short-sighted. While I'm not going out and buy a 400 dollar SKS, I'm also not going to buy a 1300 dollar ounce of gold. My short sightedness continues.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2014, 11:17 PM
I say "woulda, coulda, shoulda" all the time when I look back to 10 yrs ago!

I bought one Romanian AK-47 brand new in 2005 for $329. We have 5 more, some complete and functional, a couple still in the works, that we built from parts kits. They are a pretty simple rifle, not close tolerances on most of it either, and are quite easy for anyone who can read directions, and work with small tools, to build. Both my boys have built them. Back in 2007 I bought 5 Romanian parts kits, with original barrels, in one lot on Gunbroker, for $129 apiece. I wish I had bought about 50 more.

I have another "shorty AK" that started from a Hungarian AMD-65 parts kit, that I paid $110 for a bit earlier. It also came with the original barrel. That was designed for Hungarian tank crews, and because of their mission, having to get in and out, through a small hatch in the tank, the weapon is very compact. It has a shorter barrel and gas tube than the standard AKM design and has a side folder stock, as well as two pistol grips. It is not legal to build it with the forward pistol grip, and is too short barreled for a legal rifle to be built........so I built a pistol out of it. It has the rear pistol grip, folding stock is gone, and has an Israeli Galil forward handguard, which is much wider than the standard AMD65 handguard. This allows me to fire the gun from my hip, while holding it with my right hand on the pistol grip and my left hand holding the front end, over the handguard. This keeps one from burning his hand on the hot gas tube! I have a sling on the back of the stock that fits over my right shoulder. The weapon is extremely compact, being easily concealed under a knee length coat, or duster, with a loaded 30 rd magazine in it, and it hangs straight down, under my arm where all I have to do is reach down and grab the front handguard and bring it up to firing position. I have shot it a lot from the hip and it is amazing how well you can shoot, with some practice, from 50 ft or so. My boys call it the "ultimate concealed carry weapon" as you have 30 rds of medium velocity rifle fire, right in your two hot little hands, in an instant, if you need it.

We are going to get a box of tracer, and some night soon, load a few of them in it along with the regular 7.62x39 stuff, and are going to shoot it at an old car door, from around 50 ft......and video tape it. Should be pretty good as a lot of fire comes out of that short barrel, in the dark. We have been known for making wacky videos of stuff like that, and things that make lots of fire.

These are still available as parts kits for a bit under $400 but don't have the original barrel. New barrels are available from Green Mountain, for a bit under a $100 but it is more work than the original barrel kits were. Too bad our government banned the import of foreign barrels. I have the idea that American companies that build AR-15's wanted to bet rid of that cheap "commie" competetion. And it worked good!

I bought a Yugo SKS from Maine Military at about the same time.....for $129 and he must have had 40 of them in stock. I wish I had borrowed the money and bought them all. That ol "woulda, coulda shoulda again!

I wish I had much better foresight that it turns out that I really have!

WC
01-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Should bought it, when I saw it, at....

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
(01-30-2014 11:17 PM)woodcanoe Wrote:  I have shot it a lot from the hip and it is amazing how well you can shoot, with some practice, from 50 ft or so.
WC

Back in the early 50's, when I was around 12, I bought some Lyman 310 pliers and a Herter scale so I could reload for my father's Win 94 .30-30. That way I could shoot more without having to spend money I didn't have.

Anyway, one of the things I did with all this ammo was shoot from the hip at a coffee can on the ground from around 75 feet. Get the coffee can moving and then see if I could keep it going one shot after another as fast as I could jack the lever and fire. I got pretty good at it, but the barrel sure got pretty hot. It's a wonder I didn't wear out the rifling, but I didn't. My father's gone and now I have the 94 and it still shoots pretty good.

But, anyhow, yes yes. With some practice you can get pretty good at shooting from the hip.
01-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Natchezss.com has bricks of 22 thunderbolts for 40 bucks plus shipping
02-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Mike, they're out this morning.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I attended a meeting in Vermont this weekend. It's the same all over. Essentially no ,22 rimfire.
02-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Just got a Cabela's flyer. Sale on 5.56 ammo. 500 round dry box. $229.
02-05-2014, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 10:20 PM by Roger Ek.)
US Made? Up here in the woods, the flyer will probably arrive tomorrow.
02-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Yes, US made. American Eagle.