Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ammo shortage
01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
RE: Ammo shortage
I broke down and purchased a military surplus Mosin Nagant this fall when Cabela's had a sale on them for $139. After searching all year for standard .30 caliber rifle ammo (so I could take my son to the range) and not finding any, I found that the surplus 7.62 X 54R ammo was abundant and cheap (880 rounds for $160).

My 15 year old son loves the rifle and can easily hit a pie plate consistently at 100 yards with open sights.

I may think about purchasing another just in case the SHTF.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2014, 08:46 PM
(01-09-2014 07:58 PM)cupfactor Wrote:  I broke down and purchased a military surplus Mosin Nagant this fall when Cabela's had a sale on them for $139. After searching all year for standard .30 caliber rifle ammo (so I could take my son to the range) and not finding any, I found that the surplus 7.62 X 54R ammo was abundant and cheap (880 rounds for $160).

My 15 year old son loves the rifle and can easily hit a pie plate consistently at 100 yards with open sights.

I may think about purchasing another just in case the SHTF.

Here is a good shooting, and reliable rifle that is overlooked by most folks who look down their noses at anything of Russian origin. We have 4 at the moment, one that needs a bit of work, and love them. I had my first one, an M-44 carbine, bought surplus in 1965 and did not really know what I had at that point. But I have come to like them a lot since.

I bought a 91-30 rifle, and then bought an old one with a Bishop custom stock (that was beat up), at the Augusta gun show for $50. The barrel was painted with barbecue grille paint, but I wanted the stock. I repaired and refinished that stock with aobut 20 coats of linseed oil, hand rubbed between coats. I put on an ATI scope mount and a $50 scope. It looks nice and shoots real well. My two boys and I went Moose hunting in 2007 in WMD 18. My oldest was 14 at the time, and was carrying my old Moisin Nagant. I saw a young bull and fired at him, and missed twice. He then took off running, sideways to us, at a pretty good jog. I hollered to my son to shoot, and he hit the moose in the front shoulder, running sideways, at well over 200 yds away, and put him right down for good. He was one proud boy......and dad was pretty proud of that "poor man's custom rifle" that he had built.

Those Moisin Nagants will shoot quite well at 300 to 500 yds with the open sights, after all that was their military mission. Ammo, in the sardine cans is dirt cheap, and stores extremely well for many years. We are going to get more of these rifles so that each of us has at least one.

Of all the WWI bolt rifles the Moisin Nagant, in military trim, had the fastest muzzle velocity, over 2700 fps. I have fired a fmj bullet completely through a 6 cyl chevy engine block, and believe that bullet will penentrate any vest worn by leo's. In case the SHTF, one could find lots poorer guns than the nagant, and for the money they cannot be beat.

The only downside is the safety that is awkward, especially for a young person or woman without lots of strength in the hands. But we modify them by welding a ring onto the back of the safety so that it can be gripped easier. My son the gunsmith is working on the design of a better safety that will be relatively easy to add on, hopefully.

We bought a 91-30 at the Lewiston gun show year before last, and it had bad headspace issues. The guy said it shot well....but he lied. The headspace was so open that the cases would expand enough to stick in the chamber. It took us a while to fix it, but I have a good set of "go and "no go" headspace gauges for them now. I believe somebody changed the bolt on that rifle, which can change the headspace. We use a partially copper clad bullet, with a soft lead nose, for hunting, and they will kill anything you would encounter in the Maine woods. We have brass, reloading dies and data books but have not reloaded any of it yet, but intend to eventually, especially for hunting. We also have some parts kicking around, which is handy if you have several of them.

There are millions of those old rifles around, and they are almost indestructable, and shoot as good as about anything you could buy, for lots more money.

WC
01-12-2014, 07:31 PM
WC

For some uncanny reason I had a feeling you would know all about the 91-30's. I hit Cabela's at just the right time and was able to get a 1943 vintage in amazing condition with matching serial numbers on bolt and barrel. No head spacing issues and muzzle has not been re-crowned.
Getting ready to purchase another 2 spam cans from SGammo.
01-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Those "sardine cans" are wonderful ways to store ammunition. My older son and I were just talking a few minutes ago about buying some more cans of 7.62x54 this summer when we have some $$$.

Great old guns.

WC
01-14-2014, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 07:15 PM by Mike G.)
MidwayUSA.com has federal 22lr for 23 bucks a brick, one brick only plus shipping

It's gone, from 6:43 this morn to now sold out.

Natchezss.com has some federal for 40 bucks a brick one brick only plus shipping
01-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Cabelas in Scarborough had bulk Winchester on Black Friday. They had enough for the first 600 people in the door. We happened to be in Portland so we went there at 4:30 AM in the cold. There were about 750 people ahead of us when the doors opened at 5 AM. They came from NH, VT, MA, CT and RI. They cleaned off a pallet of 22 ammo in 20 minutes. Americans coast to coast understand well that they may need that ammo and that it may just disappear. Don't waste any. Teach your children to shoot accurately, not to waste ammo and be cautious about letting anyone know what you have. Take your family to a Project Appleseed weekend. You will all learn some history you never knew and all of you will come away safer and more accurate shooters. That applies to competition shooters and to brand new novices.
01-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Rimfire continues to evaporate online.

The lowly 30-30 is in short supply and the new norm is a buck a round for 30-30 if you can get it.

QE has a lot to do with consumer prices on everything, but a buck a round for 30-30 will not be promoting a lot of practice
01-26-2014, 10:49 AM
We have, at last count, around 10 rifles (AK and SKS variants)that all shoot the same ammo, 7.62x39. That ammo is relatively cheap again, compared to .223 and a whole lot of others. My boys have been buying quite a lot of it lately. They like the sardine cans with 640 rds. They store extremely well in those cans, which is why they were canned in the first place.

While the AK is a standard relatively modern infantry carbine design, suited best for 200 yds and less, the older SKS is a semi auto rifle capable of 300 yd plus capability, with the open sights on the rifle. Ballistics testing has shown that the old "Commie round" is as capable as .223 is, especially at the longer distances.

Fred, of Fred's gunstocks, the originator of the "Appleseed shoots", was asked, several years back, what kind of CHEAP rifles could a poor man buy, that were suitable for this kind of "rifle shooting".

His reply:

The MK4 Enfield, in .303 and the SKS. Both can still be bought for under $500 in pretty good condition, if you look around. The SKS has been criticized for holding only 10 rds in it's internal magazine, but can be loaded with stripper clips, by a trained shooter, pretty well as fast as you can change AK mags. I have the designs, and we have the ability to change one to accept AK mags, but we keep em the way they were built usually. The SKS is not only a good shooter, but quite reliable and accurate. You could do much worse for a home defense weapon.

Cheap ammo, these days, is a definite bonus!

WC
01-27-2014, 11:11 AM
I was at KTP yesterday and they had plenty of standard and subsonic L/LR .22 for $70/brick. Too rich for my taste, so I passed.
01-27-2014, 05:59 PM
WC, good thinking on rifles of the same caliber. Makes a lot of sense.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user