Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ammo shortage
12-22-2013, 10:56 PM
RE: Ammo shortage
Know who comes to our shoots? Grandparents with their grandchildren in tow. They know the generation in between will not change, but the grandchildren hunger for freedom. They know the only opportunity for them is going to be to work for it and they want to know the history of how our country began. George Washington didn't defeat the Redcoats with free speech. He shot them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2013, 07:17 AM
George Washington didn't defeat the Redcoats with free speech. He shot them.

Worth repeating.
12-27-2013, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 07:02 PM by Mike G.)
Natchez supply has 525 ct remington hp 22 for 35 bucks plus of course 15 shipping

http://www.natchezss.com/ has been one of the best on-lines for Remington 22, don't see WW or federal from them.

Goes without saying but best to buy other needs or wants to spread out shipping costs
12-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Cartharsis
12-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Why is the government selling this brass this way? Why don't they take it to a metal recycling plant? The last .22rf brass we sold at $1.91/lb. and we had nearly 300 lbs. It appears that they sell for a lot less than that, unless the bids got up an awful lot. Figures!
12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
(12-20-2013 10:21 PM)Mike G Wrote:  Now that is funny.

I've passed up many opportunities to buy whatever previously was considered exorbitant prices, but at some point reality sets in. If you are going to give a Christmas gift of a brick to your son, where does the 5 cent limit apply?

If you have an unusual caliber, when do you think the price will come down?

Unusual could just be a 32 special, a 7 m/m mauser, a 338 win mag, all those calibers are long off the list of getting a run in the immediate future, we are talking stock in some warehouse.

Some years ago I bought a 1940's Winchester 94 in beautiful condition, almost like new, to give to my son - who lives in MD. He has other guns as well and before AMG closed down I sent him a link to the ammo shortage thread there. The 94 I gave him is .32 Special and he wrote back that he can't find any down there - which doesn't surprise me as probably not too many people in MD have anything in .32 Special.

Anyhow, while I'm sure I can get him some .32 around here, I did a net search and found this. http://ammoseek.com/ammo/32-winchester-special

Pretty incredible site. Not only ammo. Where it says "search", in the line above .32 search results, use the down arrow to see other stuff.
12-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Load your own. Cast your own bullets. Weigh or measure your powder. Do it the way our grandfathers did it.
12-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Roger, I don't know how many lead bullets you've run through a rifled barrel, but I can guarantee cleaning that barrel isn't easy after running lead through it. I used to do that back in the 50's when I was younger. Herter scale, Lyman 310 pliers, etc. I'll sticked with copper jacketed. Lead might be romantic, but scrubbing rifling after shooting isn't.
01-01-2014, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 02:39 AM by Mike G.)
Ammoseek is a good search engine.

For those that have not the common caliber, buying a box or two now is not throwing your money away thinking that things will come around later.

Of course it may, just like silver prices, but how long do you want to wait.

I know the first thing I did also after the recent scare is made sure I had reloading dies etc for the obscure.

Gaffer

I'll guarantee those lots will go for much more than salvage prices, if you ever done ebay starting prices mean nothing, it goes up to salvage and then what someone realizes it is worth to them. Values will approach what once fired brass is worth, less the waste of range brass which is a pig in a poke.

Never fear it will be priced to market.
01-08-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 09:33 AM by Mike G.)
Midsouth shooters has Norma 22 lr, tactical, subsonic, in house for $54 a brick and you can buy two if you can stomach the price