Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Whats a good Me Watermelon?
02-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Whats a good Me Watermelon?
Looking for the best watermelon grown in the State of Maine??? What's the best Tomato..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2016, 01:23 AM
RE: Whats a good Me Watermelon?
...watermelons are tough to grow in maine...esp. for suburbanites with 'shade problems'....try 'gold flower' and 'petite yellow' for yellows and blacktail mountain and maybe 'sugar baby' for reds...i get most of my seeds from fedco..

...'yellow doll' was my favorite but can't get good seed today for some reason...

...ime they grow best in hills...two plants/hill...i use the 30 year landscape fabric...it warms the soil, smothers weeds and reduces water loss...you can use newspapers too...i use those 3 pound plastic grape containers as a mini-greenhouse for a good two week head-start...

...'surround' works great for transplants...(dunk the whole plant..roots too)...tom of ?snakeroot farm at the orono farmers market, etc., is the champ in these parts..he sells great varieties...and he has the know-how and he loves to share...

...as for cucumber beetles and other pests: chickens (in the off-season, of course) work the best...surround seems ok...if you must...

...may you be blessed with a hoard of weird-looking, luscious gold flowers...
03-02-2016, 05:01 AM
Not sure on the watermelon, but we grow a couple of different tomatoes, a variety of cherry and an heirloom, no real preference, we also do tomatillos
03-03-2016, 02:42 PM
I tried growing them one year. They were sweet and delicious, but small. I don't remember what kind for sure, but think they were some early Alaskan type.
Auntie, nice information on watermelons!
03-11-2016, 08:30 AM
...i like using the thin outdoor carpet as a 'smotherer' for melons...i've found they don't grow/do as well when you let them 'sprawl' on grass, through weeds, etc...

...but pull the carpet up after you're done!!...years ago, i got the bright idea of using old carpet in the permanent pathways of my garden to reduce weeds, etc....problem is, over time they got buried in enough soil to grow weeds with roots that penetrate the carpet!...and when you pull the weeds, you pull up endless strands of carpet!!!...what a stinking mess!!!. Angry
03-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Anybody here get their seeds from FEDCO? Their annual sale should be coming up soon. I was wondering about plum trees and if anybody here had any success with plums? Looking for some advice on plum growing here in Maine... Thanks
03-16-2016, 08:37 PM
For the last three years we have lost most all our tomatoes to blight. The plants grow beautifully, are heavy with lucious fruit and then, just days before they are ready to pick the rot starts and it seems to happen all to once.

This is not a problem that happens only to us but to everybody else around here. We like to make lots of tomato sauce and salsa and can them as it is real good to use for many different dishes.

We have gotten NO tomatoes of our own the last two years and have had trouble buying any as most everyone else has had the same trouble. Even the Amish up here have had the same issue.

Anyone else had this issue? What varieties might be better to plant? We have stuck mostly with heirlooms but have tried some hybrids also and same problem. What gives?

WC
03-17-2016, 08:17 PM
You have to spray them religiously with a fungicide , usually every three days to combat the blight.
It is the same pathogen that kills potatoes.
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.e...ateBlt.htm
These spores come in on high south winds typical of the late summer hurricane winds from the central Atlantic states.
Use a fungicide such as Bravo, which can be bought at any potato chemical supplier without any license, or even from online suppliers.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
03-21-2016, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2016 01:20 PM by Auntie Republicrat.)
woodcanoe: 'For the last three years we have lost most all our tomatoes to blight. The plants grow beautifully, are heavy with lucious fruit and then, just days before they are ready to pick the rot starts and it seems to happen all to once.'

Angry

...i hear thee..it's been like that for at least 10 years around the bangor area...the only fellow i know who still gets 'good tomatoes' without spraying, etc. extra care, uses 'miracle-gro' (inc.) soil Thumbs_down in containers...(sterilized, 'dead' soil)...i know people who grow them in greenhouses and they have had little problem with 'blight'...

...try 'sun gold' and other 'cherries'...'juliet' (?grape)...i've heard some of the 'plum' tomatoes are resistant to 'blight'...

...i'm somewhat ashamed that i get 'good tomatoes' (in living soil) only by using 'copper'...ugh...and you have to 'anticipate'...by the time you see it, it's often too late...

...i don't think anyone really knows what's going on...you'll hear a lot of people call it 'late blight' but MOFGA (who i tend to trust) says it's 'early blight'...

http://www.mofga.org/Publications/MaineO...fault.aspx

"Some farmers and gardeners like to use the same ground year after year for their tomatoes. Often this works, but often it doesn’t – most commonly because of a few tomato diseases that overwinter on crop debris. The most common disease in the Northeast that leads to a tomato crop failure is early blight. In this article I will point out similarities and differences between early blight and two other tomato diseases that are commonly confused with it, late blight and septoria leaf spot...."
03-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Angus King is a good Maine Watermelon, green on the outside red on the inside, Pingree and others are also in that category, hell we have a whole field of them