Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beef Jerky
02-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Beef Jerky
Any members here into making beef jerky? Any "secret" recipes to share?
I have about 5 lbs. of top round going in the dehydrator right now (on sale @ $2.99/lb at Hannaford this week). It will end up at 1-1.5 lbs dried but so much cheaper and better than store bought. It will end up at a total cost of $17 with all ingredients (not including electrical cost of running the dehydrator for 8 hrs). It would make a good survival food too but it never lasts more than a few days around this house.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: Beef Jerky
I have some flavorings and the methodology for making it in a stove oven but have not tried it yet.

I like eating it a whole lot, guess I have got to make some. It is insanely expensive in the stores today, no need of it either.

WC
02-21-2016, 04:45 AM
Any suggestion on a decent dehydrator? I would not mind trying it on some fruit, jerky etc
02-21-2016, 10:18 AM
(02-21-2016 04:45 AM)Islander Wrote:  Any suggestion on a decent dehydrator? I would not mind trying it on some fruit, jerky etc

My wife bought mine at Cabelas about 5 years ago. It appears to be made by Excalibur. Google Excalibur 9 tray.
02-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks will do
02-21-2016, 02:12 PM
We use a NESCO Professional Food and Jerky Dehydrator. It has individual settings for jerky, meats, fish, fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds and herbs and spices. We dry a lot of beans with it and my in-laws make the jerky with it. We bought extra trays so we could dry more beans at once.
02-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Well, looks like I have a little research to do, before harvest season.
09-03-2016, 12:54 PM
I/we bought a machine from Cabelas which is made by Nesco, so far so good. We have only dried apples but this weekend I will attempt pineapple, bananas and strawberries.
09-03-2016, 01:17 PM
I gather a lot of wild mushrooms, grow my own shitakes, and use one to dry them. They're pretty simple machines, so as long as they have a timer and temperature control you'll be OK. Last year I had so many apples and pears I dried those, too. Looks like I'll be doing that again.
09-03-2016, 01:22 PM
It does have a timer and temp control and the apples came out fine, looking forward to having dried fruit and veggies this winter.