Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hay Farming
02-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Hay Farming
I have a small haying operation and make up about 8000 bales a year. It is hard to make any money at this low volume, but i would need to get help to make any more that that. I take pre-season orders in the spring and usually sell out my season's production in one to two days. This past year I raised my price $.50 a bale at the start and recieved more orders that i could cover.

I currently get $3.50 a bale off the wagon and $4.50 out of my barn. How is the hay price where you live?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2016, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2016 02:25 PM by woodcanoe.)
RE: Hay Farming
I haven't made any square bales in the last two seasons but from what I hear this is about what the price is in the Highlands of Maine. I get $35/bale for my 4x4 round, out of the field.

I run a small grass fed beef operation, for an absentee landowner, and we buy 400 round bales in the summer for $35 delivered to the barn door.

I would like to do more with hay then we do but machinery, and time, are my bugaboos.

WC
02-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Androscoggin November 2015 1st & 2nd crop hay available. Square & rounds bales available. Square bales are $5 & $6. 1st crop round bales $65.
Volume discounts & delivery available if needed. Pricing upon request.
Harvest Hill Farms
Dan Carroll
RT 26
Mechanic Falls ME 04256
02-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Those are fair prices for this time of year. Here in my area hay is very scarce. Each year more and more farmers around here seem to lack the money to put up enough feed in the summer and fall, counting on buying more in the winter. From what I am hearing some farmers may end up short of feed this late winter as there is not a lot around to buy. All the farmers that I know who have extra hay, have it all spoken for already, there is No surplus that I am aware of.

WC
02-19-2016, 06:07 PM
(02-18-2016 06:21 PM)woodcanoe Wrote:  Those are fair prices for this time of year. Here in my area hay is very scarce. Each year more and more farmers around here seem to lack the money to put up enough feed in the summer and fall, counting on buying more in the winter. From what I am hearing some farmers may end up short of feed this late winter as there is not a lot around to buy. All the farmers that I know who have extra hay, have it all spoken for already, there is No surplus that I am aware of.

WC

I agree, hay is going to be very tight this spring. Yield was way down in my area due to the early drought. Many farmers only got 50% of normal. I have had calls from customers that fed their winter hay out early because their pastures were poor in the fall. Now they can't make it to new hay. I heard Canada is in poor shape on hay as well. Hope for an early spring.
02-23-2016, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 07:12 AM by Maine Democrat.)
A lot of people don't know the difference between 1st and 2nd crop hay. I charge $1 more per bale for 2nd crop which is a pretty good deal for those horse that can eat it. I try to warn hay customers about the nutritional difference because some horses shouldn't eat 2nd crop hay. It can be too rich for some horses and may cause them to founder. Ponies are more likely to get this condition.
http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-health...under.aspx

I had a customer who thought she would feed my 2nd crop hay to her ponies all winter. She almost lost both ponies due to founder.
I had some hay tested to see the difference in nutritional value. Here are a few of the results.

First Crop
Protein g/lb 30.7
Digestible Energy Mcal/lb .86
Crude Fat g/lb 8.9
Simple Sugars g/lb 31.4
Water Sol Carb g/lb 53.7
Non fiber Carb g/lb 79.5

Second Crop
Protein g/lb 58.2
Digestible Energy Mcal/lb 2.1
Crude Fat g/lb 14.6
Simple Sugars g/lb 42.5
Water Sol Carb g/lb 48.7
Non fiber Carb g/lb 84.9
05-04-2017, 06:19 PM
I don't see a thread on preparedness on this small forum so I figured the thread on hay would be as good as any other.

Time to stock up on flour.

Attached link: http://www.agriculture.com/news/crops/we...is-weekend

We lost the western Kansas winter wheat crop last week. Prices for flour and beef futures have risen sharply this week. Why is that? The loss of the wheat crop has an affect large enough to affect the entire grain market. It will affect corn, oats and other grains.

I would stock up on wheat and oat products. Got favorite pastry mixes? Like corn bread or waffle mixes? Got room in the freezer? I recommend buying beef. Beef futures are up on this news.