Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wild Game Hunting
03-26-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: Wild Game Hunting
My early memories regarding hunting included hearing about people that had been shot in my small town. Many years ago, I was coming out of the woods during deer season early in the evening and I saw a young hunter pointing a shotgun at me. He said "Boy are you lucky, I almost shot you". I replied "No, you are the lucky one." This was before blaze orange and hunter safety courses.

There has been a remarkable inprovement in hunting safety since the old days that isn't talked about enough. Hunting is now safer then many other activities, but you don't hear much about it. I believe we haven't had a fatality in two years. Somewhere I read that Maine has around 200,000 hunters. I know its not apples to apples in any way, but just for reference, Maine had approximately 9.8 automobile caused deaths per 100,000 population in 2014 alone.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/genera...e-overview
This article attempts to explain how far we have come.

Here’s how accidental hunting deaths dropped dramatically in Maine

"Records show 1952 was the deadliest year for hunters in Maine. Of the 70 shooting incidents that took place, 19 were fatal. Two years before that, in 1950, there were 57 incidents in which 19 people died. 1948 was the third-deadliest year with 44 incidents and 15 fatalities.

But in the mid-1970s, the number of shootings and deaths began to fall off. And in the late 1980s, the decline continued."

[Image: hunting_5086.jpg]

http://archive.boston.com/news/local/mai...story.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2016, 06:18 PM
I wonder how that graph compares to hunting popularity in general?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
03-26-2016, 07:00 PM
(03-26-2016 06:18 PM)Ugene Wrote:  I wonder how that graph compares to hunting popularity in general?

Apparently, we have dropped off some since the 1950s, but not as much as the national average. http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2007/09/0...nal-trend/

Besides hunter orange and hunter safety courses, there may be a couple of other things that could be contributing to increased safety.
I am not sure of these and are just putting them out for discussion.
1. The average hunter age may be older then the 50's.
2. Firearms may be safer.
3. Replacing "either sex" with "Bucks only" or "doe permits" may be contributing to better target identification.
4. Firearm discharge prohibition within city limits or near a building could be helping.
03-27-2016, 06:07 AM
#3 for sure.
#4 . After the 1990 shooting of Karen Wood in Hermon, hunters became more aware of the dangers of urban hunting.
I rarely go hunting until the last week of the season when my hunt camp crew gets together 15 miles back in the woods.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
04-09-2016, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 10:48 AM by Maine Democrat.)
When scouting moose I often find myself out on bogs where the vegetation can hold you up. Here is a picture of some pitcher plants I took. Amazingly, these exposed plants do not winter kill.
[Image: 20150924_091850.jpg]

Some info here.
http://www.carnivorous--plants.com/pitcher-plant.html

Occasionally, I find a black bear track worth taking a photo of. My boot is size 11.
[Image: 20140902_075429.jpg]

A couple more ghosts of the swamps.
[Image: Bull_1.jpg]

[Image: the_big_guy.jpg]
11-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Haven't hunted any game for 7 years. However, I just began to get the itch to go all primitive and hunt deer with a Self Bow. I want to make one from my own craft and use it to hunt. I've done my share of killing with a long gun and if I get back into the hunt it's going to be about the wildness of it.

Quote:"Then they will say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us!' And to the hills, ‘Cover us!' If men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Book of Luke
11-25-2016, 06:39 PM
I'm making a trip to Florida and thought about going on a wild boar hunt, so I Googled it. Lo and behold, up came an ad for Ron's Guide Service. I found out I could hunt wild boar with (according to the website), a shotgun, rifle, bow, spear, knife or hatchet!! Weapons can be provided. I think I'd go with the rifle.
http://ronsguideservice.com/boar/
11-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Polguy, my brother killed a wild boar in Tennessee with a 4 inch Smith 29 back in the early 1980s, Good luck to you in Florida.
10-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Where I live, today was the last day of regular archery season. There is a real nice 11 point that made a scrape not far from a group of apple trees. With all the recent rain, I climbed into my treestand at least 2 hours before daylight this morning where I hoped to catch the big buck coming to freshen the scrape just after legal light.

The cold front had passed by during the night and the wind was ssw when I got to my stand. I was glad that I had put on a light jacket as the wind was pretty stiff and I had gotten my light gloves wet climbing the tree to my stand. Soon after settling in, I realized the foam seat cover was pretty wet as well.

There isnt much to do as you wait for daylight so I spent some time staring at the stars that I hadn't seen for a few nights. During this period I saw 6 different high flying aircraft heading southwest, 5 meteors headed west-northwest and one satellite zooming clockwise. All this while Eric Clapton's "Old Love" was playing on auto-repeat in my head. After 2 hours I was starting to get a little chilled and had to keep my hands in my jacket pockets and flexed muscles to generate some heat.

In this particular location, the mature bucks tend to pass through right at dawn if they show at all. Most of the time it's in the middle of the night, but I have taken around 7 nice bucks in this area by sitting on buck trails and scrapes early in the morning. By the time the crows start calling, I head home for hot coffee and a 2nd breakfast. I only realized lately why "hunter's breakfast are served so late. It's for people like me that get up at 1:30 or 2 and sit till just after daylight. This morning was no different than most. If it was easy, we wouldn't bother to go. Maybe tonight!
10-27-2017, 06:12 PM
I've always admired, yet questioned the sanity of bow hunters.

More devotion than I can certainly summon, but you put the spirit of hunting exactly right, myself I cannot imagine getting up at and out an hour before that crack of dawn, to watch airplanes and meteors in the sky or to listen to an owl hooting or cows bawling in the distance, or geese, ducks trading to feed somewhere, other than that is what we experience and appreciate as we get our asses out there, to harvest something.

The snowflakes question consumption outdoor experiences, but hunters and fisherman etc paid for and blazed what the snowflakes take for granted, as quimbys roll out of tents in the summer.

Getting some organic protein is just the frosting on the cake. Good day tomorrow resident only deer take.