Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wild Game Hunting
02-26-2016, 10:09 AM
RE: Wild Game Hunting
What really shocked me was the casual way that the newspaper article mentioned the 17 missing persons. It was over a relatively small area. What if your town had 17 missing people? It would be national news at least.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2016, 12:02 PM
It took me 26 years of entering into the moose lottery before I finally got drawn. I decided to hunt my first moose with a bow and some friends wanted to film it to add to a hunting video DVD they were planning. I went to the zone and scouted the whole week before the season opened. I found around 8 or 9 nice bulls and one giant (around 1000 lbs) that I was determined to hunt opening day. This one big bull seemed to be in a stupor and was in the same place every day I checked on him and I thought that maybe this was going to be easy. Later in the week, I went to check on the big bull again and found a pickup with two guys there where the bull used to be. I asked them if they had seen anything and they said no. That same evening just before dark, I went to check and they had put up a small tent with two chairs and a small table out front. On the table were two small open cans of soda and an open bag of chips. There was nothing in the tent.

Over the next two days I checked the site morning and night and there was no change and no sign of the hunters. I assumed this was a fake campsite to keep other hunters away. On the night before opening day, I decided to spend the night in my truck where the big moose had been in order to hunt it at first light. My support and film crew were to arrive just before daylight. All night long whenever I got out of my truck for a break, the big bull was thrashing branches nearby. He was quite close.

About 4 in the morning, these two pickups showed up with 4 guys and one of them walks up to my window. It is hard to describe how mad he was and I thought that we were going to get into it. He called me every name in the book, said I was unsportsmanlike, they were local and had first dibs. I told him he could stay if he wanted, but if he did he was going to have company. He was spitting mad and I advised him to go to one of his other fake campsites if he didn’t like the situation because I wasn’t moving. He left in a huff, they spun their tires as they went and after all that noise, the bull was right there taking it all in.

Soon my support crew and film team got there. There were seven of them and they started yacking and making noise. I told them to shush as the bull was right there. They didn’t believe me at first, but then the bull started thrashing branches, and their eyes all got big. We didn’t know it, but while we waited for legal light, that big bull slipped quietly away and was never seen by us again. I guess they don’t get big by being stupid. I took a nice big bull with my bow on the second day but in another location. It weighed 825 pounds dressed.
02-26-2016, 02:03 PM
(02-26-2016 09:28 AM)woodcanoe Wrote:  I would say that you were indeed a very very lucky man to survive that encounter!
WC

I would say I was lucky several times that trip. I have often wondered what would have happened if I had been able to kill an elk while alone. I imagine that could have turned into a rough tug of war as to ownership of the elk. A few years later, they started letting bow hunters carry sidearms. I now carry a revolver chambered in 454.

I think the problem with our western mountain grizzlies is that there isn't much food, they are more use to man and they are not hunted.
02-29-2016, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2016 04:04 PM by Maine Democrat.)
I scout a lot for moose and use quite a few game cameras to take inventory. This past year, I got pictures or two large bulls fighting horn to horn and a pic of a bull making a scrape in front of my cameras. Here are a few pics of some bulls I got on camera last year.

[Image: Big_Paddles2_2.jpg]

[Image: Battle_Hardened2.jpg]

[Image: another_one.jpg]

[Image: K1_Bull_cropped.jpg]

[Image: bigone.jpg]
02-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Yummy !
Back when I was driving truck between Sherman and Ashland, it was not unusual to see 12 or more every trip.
I watched 11 in a clear cut during rutting season.
I got chosen the first year they had the hunt and bagged a 1005 # bull.
I've had two tags since, filling one of them.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
02-29-2016, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2016 08:15 AM by Maine Democrat.)
I was hiking a small mountain this winter just before sunrise. After climbing a particularly steep section, I turned around to look back downhill and saw a big black cat-like creature run accross the snowy trail below. I couldn't identify it because it looked unlike anything I was familiar with at that size. I found its tracks and they were round like a feline and not elongated like a canine. I did some research and determined it was a fisher, but the size is too large.
I have seen a smaller fisher before and I believe another giant fisher in the same area about 15 years ago.

Males are surposed to weigh 8-13 pounds and females 4 to 6.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)Car

This animal looked much bigger. I did not get a picture of it but found this one on the Internet. The one I saw was much bigger but this one in the pic looks like in weighs much more than 14. Heck an average cat weighs 9 to 12 pounds and these things eat cats.

[Image: Fisher.jpg]
03-11-2016, 09:46 AM
This moose egg looks yummy.
[Image: Moose_Egg.jpg]
03-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Ha, I used to use cookie cutters when the kids were a lot younger, sometimes lobster eggs, hearts ...
03-12-2016, 07:32 PM
I got up at 2:00 this morning and headed up north to check game cameras and to set out more for this season's moose scouting. On the way sunrise happened and I had to take a picture on my cell phone.
[Image: 20160312_053647.jpg]

It was pretty cold this morning and I made all kinds of noise walking in to my first camera, but for some reason I was able to get up on this moose. The moose didn't seem scared and I took a few pics and moved on to my camera. It seemed like the moose was relieved to be able to just stand there and conserve energy.
[Image: 20160312_063009_1.jpg]
03-21-2016, 04:33 PM
[Image: image005.jpg]