Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maple Sugaring
02-21-2016, 09:17 PM
RE: Maple Sugaring
yes

I ran about a gallon per tree, some over. looking for some cold nights, so it isn't 95 in the house. the inconvenience of being a stovetop boiler
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2016, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2016 04:06 PM by Maine Democrat.)
We only have red maples. You have to boil more sap, but the flavor is great. We have a 12 x 16 sugar shack down in the maple grove that holds the evaporator, firewood, cribbage board and a bottle of Yukon Jack. There is nothing more boring than watching sap boil. Time to start the boil again.
[Image: The_Boil.jpg]
02-22-2016, 05:44 AM
We had friends who used to boil sap , as kids it was a treat to pack a pan with snow, pour the fresh hot syrup over it and then eat the "leather aprons".
02-23-2016, 12:22 PM
You can see the spring coming each year in the maple grove as the bugs come after the sap. At first we see a few spiders, then small flies and beetles, then some moths and lastly big house flies. After the starlings are nesting, the robins and then the phoebes show up. The robins will cover the hayfield near the maple grove. They hardly move as we walk back and forth. The phoebes seem incessant with their questioning or exclaiming "phoebe? phoebe!" calls.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Phoebe/id

When the temperature stays above freezing and the buds start to open, its time to stop gathering sap. Not all trees do it at the same time, but at some point the trees stop producing sugar and you can smell the difference. I believe this is when starch returns in the sap. The smell to me is like freshly cut green red oak. http://vermontmaple.org/how-we-make-it/

We are definitely done sugaring by the time the skunk cabbage starts showing up. http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Wildlife-Lib...bbage.aspx
02-26-2016, 06:41 PM
This is going to be our bigest year sugaring. We already have more than half of our previous record and we have a large amount of sap collected. It looks like we will run out of firewood if the weather stays good for a couple of week. We tightly stack our firewood 12 feet wide x 8 feet deep x 8 feet high. Once it's gone, we are done. We have never completely burned it all, but this year we will.

Yesterday it hit 53 degrees here and I found 2 garden slugs in the sugar grove. I have never found slugs while sugaring before.
02-28-2016, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2016 04:05 PM by Maine Democrat.)
The last few days I have been getting reacquainted with sleep deprivation. I am turning in at 9 and getting up at midnight to go boil sap. The way this sap is running, I predict an early warm up. These trees know something we don't.

I have to put more wood on every 10 to 15 minutes.
[Image: Firebox.jpg]
03-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Today we tied our record for most gallons of maple syrup. We have made 18 gallons of syrup and have enough sap for another 10 gallons of syrup. We will likely double our record before we're done this year.
03-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Funny that you mentioned slugs, last week I found one entering a milk jug that I use for "buckets". The small flies are starting to get collecting but the weather is so cyclic one day too warm the next day too cold. I've been able to keep up with the flow and not opening windows.

Sugar content seems up with my anecdotal evidence. I've boiled less sap this year to get a quart of syrup. But its anecdotal
03-02-2016, 07:23 AM
I've often wondered about taking too much sap.
Have there ever been any studies on the effects of taking sap from the trees?

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
03-02-2016, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 11:15 AM by Maine Democrat.)
(03-02-2016 07:23 AM)Ugene Wrote:  I've often wondered about taking too much sap.
Have there ever been any studies on the effects of taking sap from the trees?

I don't think there is a limit you need to worry about. The trees get sometimes massive wounds naturally from wind damage especially in the winter. As I gather sap, these natural wounds are pouring sap all over the ground. In the spring, the trees compartmentalized all wounds which closes off sap flow. We use the smallest diameter taps which quickly heal over reducing the chance of fungus getting in our trees. It seems that fungus is the cause of death for most maples. Edited to add, "The rule of thump is 10-18" - one tap, 18" plus - 2 taps. Never use more that two."

The downside of using small taps is that we often can't identify where the trees were previously tapped. The tree closes off the tap area with "dead" wood. If you place a tap there you won't get any sap. As the tree grows past the dead wood, you can get sap again. We need to be careful where we tap and kind of move over and up each year making sort of a spiral route. After awhile we can start over.

I was puzzling over how we were able to beat our previous syrup record and still have wood left over as we have the same amount of wood each year. I have made some major changes to my sugar shack that appears to have doubled our capacity. I will write about them when I get a chance.